Technical help needed front derailleur...

Elyob

Guest
When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the
chain rubs on the cage. Is this meaning that it is bent, or
just mal-adjusted? Some of those gears are quite useful,
although am aware I shouldn't cross the chain. The gears
change nicely, so am not sure what to look at. Thanks

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the
> chain rubs on the cage. Is this meaning that it is bent,
> or just mal-adjusted? Some of those gears are quite
> useful, although am aware I shouldn't cross the chain. The
> gears change nicely, so am not sure what to look at.

Maladjusted methinks. Front mech cages are usually of
brittle metal and likely to crack before bending
significantly. www.sheldonbrown.com http://www.parktool.com-
/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml

--
Regards, Pete

On 02/06/2004 16:44, elyob wrote:

> When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the
> chain rubs on the cage. Is this meaning that it is bent,
> or just mal-adjusted? Some of those gears are quite
> useful, although am aware I shouldn't cross the chain. The
> gears change nicely, so am not sure what to look at.

Maybe just a problem with the tension of the front
derailleur cable. Try to re-tension the cable or use the
cable adjuster if there is one. Rubbing shouldn't normally
occur on the middle front with so many cogs at the back.

Cheers, Arnaud.