Technical query, triple STI shifters

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martinm, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing shifters
    (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and low
    positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the cable with 3 positions
    marked although I have only ever used 2. My other bike has RX100 shifters which are not indexed as
    such on the left; they have a ratchet mechanism which works fine with a double. Do I need a special
    drum in the RSX shifters to use all 3 positions or are triple and double shifters fundamentally
    different? Thanks in advance Martin

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
    > shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and
    > low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the cable with 3
    > positions marked although I have only ever used 2. My other bike has RX100 shifters which are not
    > indexed as such on the left; they have a ratchet mechanism which works fine with a double. Do I
    > need a special drum in the RSX shifters to use all 3 positions or are triple and double shifters
    > fundamentally different? Thanks in advance Martin

    Ultegra STi LH shifter is 2 & three compatible so there is a good chance yours will be.

  3. Pkhoo

    Pkhoo Guest

    This is a parts pdf for the RSX shifters
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/ST_A416A.41
    7.pdf It seems to indicate different models for double and triple Maybe you could just remove part
    number 9...though it would take a braver man than me... The site has lots of service instruction
    leaflets as well - but I didn't see one for your levers. might be worth having a deeper hunt.

    PeterK

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
    > shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and
    > low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the cable with 3
    > positions marked although I have only ever used 2. My other bike has RX100 shifters which are not
    > indexed as such on the left; they have a ratchet mechanism which works fine with a double. Do I
    > need a special drum in the RSX shifters to use all 3 positions or are triple and double shifters
    > fundamentally different? Thanks in advance Martin

  4. On 21 Feb 2004 09:45:13 -0800, in
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

    >I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
    >shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and
    >low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the

    This sounds strange to me - If you were using a triple shifter with a double chainset then you
    wouldn't have a gap in the middle: Rather the gap would be in position 1 or 3.

    Sorry, I haven't helped have I :)

    Love and indices from Rich x

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
    like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 21 Feb 2004 09:45:13 -0800, in <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:
    >
    > >I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
    > >shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high
    > >and low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the
    >
    > This sounds strange to me - If you were using a triple shifter with a double chainset then you
    > wouldn't have a gap in the middle: Rather the gap would be in position 1 or 3.
    >
    > Sorry, I haven't helped have I :)
    >
    > Love and indices from Rich x

    I'm trying to research this before I rip the bike to bits to find it won't change on the front. The
    RSX gears originally came from a French hypermarket bike which was available as a 21 or 14 speed; I
    bought the 14 but as it had the 3 position indicator and also a triple mech on the front (without
    the 3rd gear on the chainset)assumed that it was a triple changer. The way it currently works is
    that the lowest position moves the mech slightly nearer the tube whilst still in the lower ring; I
    use this for the granny gears. Presumably if I slackened the limit screws either end I would get a
    wider range of movement. I think the difference between double and triple is that double shifters
    use a rachet mechanism like on my RX100, so that when you release the lever the shifter goes down to
    the lowest position; not a problem on a double. The RSX shifter does not go all the way back when
    you release the lever so is presumably a triple. To solve the worst case scenario has anyone seen a
    cheap set of Tiagra shifters (don't like the Sora ones)?

  6. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "pkhoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This is a parts pdf for the RSX shifters http://www.shimano-
    > europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/ST_A416A.41
    > 7.pdf It seems to indicate different models for double and triple Maybe you could just remove part
    > number 9...though it would take a braver man than me...

    Thanks for that, looks like it could be the way to go. Actually I have had the front off before,
    it's only the spring that is tricky to get back (famous last words) ;-)

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 21 Feb 2004 09:45:13 -0800, in <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:
    >
    > >I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
    > >shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high
    > >and low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the
    >
    > This sounds strange to me - If you were using a triple shifter with a double chainset then you
    > wouldn't have a gap in the middle: Rather the gap would be in position 1 or 3.
    >
    > Sorry, I haven't helped have I :)
    >
    > Love and indices from Rich x

    Yes it was a triple changer. The limit screws on the front mech were tightened right down, I just
    had to slacken them off to get all 3 positions. Thanks for your help. Martin