Technical query, triple STI shifters

Martinm

Guest
I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing shifters
(RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and low
positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the cable with 3 positions
marked although I have only ever used 2. My other bike has RX100 shifters which are not indexed as
such on the left; they have a ratchet mechanism which works fine with a double. Do I need a special
drum in the RSX shifters to use all 3 positions or are triple and double shifters fundamentally
different? Thanks in advance Martin

MartinM wrote:
> I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
> shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and
> low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the cable with 3
> positions marked although I have only ever used 2. My other bike has RX100 shifters which are not
> indexed as such on the left; they have a ratchet mechanism which works fine with a double. Do I
> need a special drum in the RSX shifters to use all 3 positions or are triple and double shifters
> fundamentally different? Thanks in advance Martin

Ultegra STi LH shifter is 2 & three compatible so there is a good chance yours will be.

This is a parts pdf for the RSX shifters
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/ST_A416A.41
7.pdf It seems to indicate different models for double and triple Maybe you could just remove part
number 9...though it would take a braver man than me... The site has lots of service instruction
leaflets as well - but I didn't see one for your levers. might be worth having a deeper hunt.

PeterK

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
> shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and
> low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the cable with 3
> positions marked although I have only ever used 2. My other bike has RX100 shifters which are not
> indexed as such on the left; they have a ratchet mechanism which works fine with a double. Do I
> need a special drum in the RSX shifters to use all 3 positions or are triple and double shifters
> fundamentally different? Thanks in advance Martin

On 21 Feb 2004 09:45:13 -0800, in
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

>I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
>shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high and
>low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the

This sounds strange to me - If you were using a triple shifter with a double chainset then you
wouldn't have a gap in the middle: Rather the gap would be in position 1 or 3.

Sorry, I haven't helped have I :)

Love and indices from Rich x

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 Feb 2004 09:45:13 -0800, in <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:
>
> >I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
> >shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high
> >and low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the
>
> This sounds strange to me - If you were using a triple shifter with a double chainset then you
> wouldn't have a gap in the middle: Rather the gap would be in position 1 or 3.
>
> Sorry, I haven't helped have I :)
>
> Love and indices from Rich x

I'm trying to research this before I rip the bike to bits to find it won't change on the front. The
RSX gears originally came from a French hypermarket bike which was available as a 21 or 14 speed; I
bought the 14 but as it had the 3 position indicator and also a triple mech on the front (without
the 3rd gear on the chainset)assumed that it was a triple changer. The way it currently works is
that the lowest position moves the mech slightly nearer the tube whilst still in the lower ring; I
use this for the granny gears. Presumably if I slackened the limit screws either end I would get a
wider range of movement. I think the difference between double and triple is that double shifters
use a rachet mechanism like on my RX100, so that when you release the lever the shifter goes down to
the lowest position; not a problem on a double. The RSX shifter does not go all the way back when
you release the lever so is presumably a triple. To solve the worst case scenario has anyone seen a
cheap set of Tiagra shifters (don't like the Sora ones)?

"pkhoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This is a parts pdf for the RSX shifters http://www.shimano-
> europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/ST_A416A.41
> 7.pdf It seems to indicate different models for double and triple Maybe you could just remove part
> number 9...though it would take a braver man than me...

Thanks for that, looks like it could be the way to go. Actually I have had the front off before,
it's only the spring that is tricky to get back (famous last words) ;-)

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 Feb 2004 09:45:13 -0800, in <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:
>
> >I have finally admitted defeat and bought a triple chainset for my Audax bike. The existing
> >shifters (RSX) seem to have 3 positions, as there is currently a mid position between the high
> >and low positions on the double shifters. There is also a gizmo gear indicator in the
>
> This sounds strange to me - If you were using a triple shifter with a double chainset then you
> wouldn't have a gap in the middle: Rather the gap would be in position 1 or 3.
>
> Sorry, I haven't helped have I :)
>
> Love and indices from Rich x

Yes it was a triple changer. The limit screws on the front mech were tightened right down, I just
had to slacken them off to get all 3 positions. Thanks for your help. Martin