Technical seat position question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by curt, May 9, 2004.

  1. curt

    curt Guest

    I have been dialing in my bicycle over the past weeks and feel I have found
    a nice position, but I find that I am wanting to move back on my saddle a
    little more. I moved it back on the rails as far as I can, but feel I would
    like to move it back a little further, but have run out of rail. I was also
    having a little knee problem and now that I moved my seat back it is gone,
    but I am riding on the back of my seat a little too far.

    Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability of
    moving back further?

    Thanks,
    Curt

    Tags:

  2. Erik Freitag

    Erik Freitag Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 02:36:08 +0000, curt wrote:

    > Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability of
    > moving back further?

    I don't know if there's a negative to a new seatpost, but I was wondering
    if what you really need is a longer stem.

  3. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    Curt asked in part:

    << Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability of
    moving back further? >>

    Curt, it is possible that your seat is still a bit too low. If this is true,
    you could raise it up to the proper level and suddenly lose the impulse to move
    back.

    Robert

  4. curt

    curt Guest

    I think the stem is okay. I guess I should have clarified this a bit
    better. The main reason that I want to move back is because of knee
    discomfort. Now that I have moved the seat back, the knee pain is gone. I
    am very thankful to say the least. I feel pretty laid out on the bike, but
    I feel more comfortable with the angle of my legs when the seat is back a
    bit more.

    Curt

    "Erik Freitag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Mon, 10 May 2004 02:36:08 +0000, curt wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability

    of
    > > moving back further?

    > I don't know if there's a negative to a new seatpost, but I was wondering
    > if what you really need is a longer stem.

  5. curt

    curt Guest

    This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took from
    a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try first.
    I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
    post is I guess.

    Thanks,
    Curt

    "R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Curt asked in part:
    >
    > << Is there a negative in getting a new seat post that has the capability

    of
    > moving back further? >>
    >
    > Curt, it is possible that your seat is still a bit too low. If this is

    true,
    > you could raise it up to the proper level and suddenly lose the impulse to

    move
    > back.
    >
    > Robert

  6. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    << This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took from
    a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try first.
    I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
    post is I guess. >>

    Yeah I would push the seat up bit by bit until you find the point where it
    finally feels too high, as long as it is not over the limit line, then lower it
    a smidge (1 cm) from there. Generally you'll want the seat just below the point
    where the hips rock with pedaling. Knee pain is often caused by too-low
    saddles.

    Robert

  7. curt

    curt Guest

    Thanks Robert.

    Curt

    "R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > << This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took

    from
    > a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try first.
    > I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
    > post is I guess. >>
    >

    > Yeah I would push the seat up bit by bit until you find the point where it
    > finally feels too high, as long as it is not over the limit line, then

    lower it
    > a smidge (1 cm) from there. Generally you'll want the seat just below the

    point
    > where the hips rock with pedaling. Knee pain is often caused by too-low
    > saddles.
    >
    > Robert

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took from
    >a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try first.
    >I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
    >post is I guess.

    If you do go up, do it a little at a time. You don't want to go to high
    and possible cause an injury.
    -------------
    Alex

  9. curt

    curt Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > says...
    >
    > >This is possible. I am a little above my original set up, which I took

    from
    > >a book, but maybe I just like a higher seat. I may give that a try

    first.
    > >I don't know how much higher I can go. I'll have to see how long my seat
    > >post is I guess.

    > If you do go up, do it a little at a time. You don't want to go to high
    > and possible cause an injury.
    > Alex

    Yeah, me moving my seat up or back a bit will have to wait. I just bought a
    new seatpost on ebay though. I hope it is here by Friday. I am maxed out
    on my current seatpost.

    Thanks for the advise. I think I am very close to where I should be, but
    was a bit above the limit line. :(

    Curt