Technique, equipment, or am I just getting old?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Fred, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On occasion I get some numbness in my left arm after 6-8 miles of riding. The only cure is to let
    loose of the handlebar and let the arm dangle at my side for a while. Then I can go another 6-8
    miles. It doesn't seem to happen to my right arm except after what for me is a lot of riding. I did
    buy some Gel riding gloves and they helped a little by extending the time it takes to encounter the
    numbness. I'm riding a good quality road bike (Bianchi Veloce) that fits me fine and I usually grip
    the handlebar with my palms on the top of the bar with the brake lever assemblies between my thumbs
    and forefingers as I ride (i.e. in the position you might use to apply the brakes.) I rarely use the
    lower portion of the handlebar since I'm a recreational rider (approaching senior citizenship) and
    I'm not trying to keep up with any 20 year olds. I'm 59 years old and have pretty good circulation
    normally since my bypass surgery in 2000. I'd appreciate any feedback.

    Incidentally, thanks to those who responded to my request for suggestions on a more comfortable
    saddle. The one I chose from those recommended was the Selle Italia Max Flite Gel and it did
    the trick. It has a little bit of a suspension at the back of the rails and that made all the
    difference. It's a very nice saddle indeed and appropriately Italian to go with my Italian
    bike. Thanks.

    Fred

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > On occasion I get some numbness in my left arm after 6-8 miles of riding. The only cure is to let
    > loose of the handlebar and let the arm dangle at my side for a while.

    1. move your hands around on the bar to avoid pinching nerves in your hand
    2. bend your elbows so they absorb road shock, instead of your more fragile back and wrists