Teenage Newbie...

MrHatten

Sep 4, 2004
G'day, i'm currently living in sydney and am 18, and want to get involved in cycling. The problem is i dont really know where to start. I want to spend around aud $1600 on bike and acessories, currently looking at new giant ocr2 (2005). Should i join a club if i'm not sure if i want to race or not? and should i look for second hand bikes over new ones and where from? what do i need to do and buy, what is necessary for maintenance and where do i learn to do it, and what is recommended for someone like me who really doesnt know much about cycling? thanx.

MrHatten said:
G'day, i'm currently living in sydney and am 18, and want to get involved in cycling. The problem is i dont really know where to start. I want to spend around aud $1600 on bike and acessories, currently looking at new giant ocr2 (2005). Should i join a club if i'm not sure if i want to race or not? and should i look for second hand bikes over new ones and where from? what do i need to do and buy, what is necessary for maintenance and where do i learn to do it, and what is recommended for someone like me who really doesnt know much about cycling? thanx.

Welcome to the forums. I too am a rookie cyclist although i am a few years your senior. My goals are not to become a professional cyclist, but i would like to commit myself to it as a serious recreation and past time. I am about to join a club to assist me with this. I will be entering some races soon and go along for the training rides they have, listen to advice and basically get involved in the sport.

Im not to clued up on equipment yet, but im sure you will be able to get something half decent for a beginner in your price range of under 1600. I had a similar budget. Remember it can get expensive...

bike
nicks/jersey
shoes
computer/HRM
decent floor pump
helmet
sunnies

oh and the extra food you will want to be eating

-Have fun and stay around here

-Matt

guys i live in sydney but am and old fart experience wise. Northern suburbs, hornsby and 28 long years old. Anything you need to know then give us a yell. I'm happy to offer any advice. BTW just bought a OCR1 2004 for $1600 with full 105 groupset, mega bargain.