Teenagers with Hummers coming - beware

Mike Kruger

Guest
Anyone who thinks this isn't bike related should ponder more teenagers passing in giant vehicles:

http://www.intellisearchnow.com/pwrpub_view.scml?ppa=7kmtu%5DYlrjemopYThe%7D 38%7DbfeiZ%21 (Jim
Mateja's syndicated vehicle column)

<<Jan. 12--DETROIT--The No. 1 vehicle with members of the younger than 18 crowd?

Hummer, of course.

"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
age," ... And that's the reason the $100,000 Hummer H1 and $50,000 Hummer H2 will soon be joined by
a $35,000 Hummer H3... While most 18-year-olds don't have the money for a $100,000, $50,000 or a
$35,000 Hummer, they can convince mom and dad that a $100,000 or $50,000 or $35,000 Hummer is a wise
purchase.>>

Mike Kruger Who is pretty sure his teenager won't be among those agitating for a Hummer.

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
>Anyone who thinks this isn't bike related should ponder more teenagers passing in giant vehicles:
>
>http://www.intellisearchnow.com/pwrpub_view.scml?ppa=7kmtu%5DYlrjemopYThe%7D 38%7DbfeiZ%21 (Jim
>Mateja's syndicated vehicle column)
>
><<Jan. 12--DETROIT--The No. 1 vehicle with members of the younger than 18 crowd?
>
>Hummer, of course.
>
>"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
>age," ... And that's the reason the $100,000 Hummer H1 and $50,000 Hummer H2 will soon be joined by
>a $35,000 Hummer H3... While most 18-year-olds don't have the money for a $100,000, $50,000 or a
>$35,000 Hummer, they can convince mom and dad that a $100,000 or $50,000 or $35,000 Hummer is a
>wise purchase.>>

I can think of numerous college campuses with 18-19 year-olds driving new $35000 cars, something you
see every time you're on the street. Go look at what's parked on fraternity row. If you haven't
looked lately you may be stunned. Those are teenagers.

--Paul

It won't be so bad if they'll learn to drive responsibly. "Paul Southworth"
news:id2V9.29712$A%[email protected]...

"Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Frank Burke <[email protected]> wrote:
> : testicles? hummers? Is this the trace of irony mentioned below?
>
> I was thinking along the same lines. When I was a teenager I thought alot about getting a hummer
> but it wasn't a vehicle.

We don't speak the same language here I'm afraid.

You mean that people are driving vehicles named after slang for an erect penis?

W K <[email protected]> wrote:

: "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
:> Frank Burke <[email protected]> wrote:
:> : testicles? hummers? Is this the trace of irony mentioned below?
:>
:> I was thinking along the same lines. When I was a teenager I thought alot about getting a hummer
:> but it wasn't a vehicle.

: We don't speak the same language here I'm afraid.

: You mean that people are driving vehicles named after slang for an erect penis?

Herabouts it's slang for a certain oral act performed on an erect penis.

--
'People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time All day long I think of things
but nothing seems to satisfy' 'Make a joke and I will sigh And you will laugh and I will

"R.White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just love the H1 propaganda,
>
> " A vehicle that can go almost anywhere and do almost any*N*Y*M*0*U*S---Internet Access - --
+0900) X-Cancel-ID: R[TU14U@?I1"=F@IXO5BQ_OM975]D*[$<J:861(EDO<K'96EK<#>]*+6 Lines: 2 Xref:
news.syd.connect.com.au control.cancel:101919887

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:46:34 -0600, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
>age," ...

Interesting - the age group most renowned for thinking with their testicles rather than
thier brains.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> Anyone who thinks this isn't bike related should ponder more teenagers passing in giant vehicles:
>
> http://www.intellisearchnow.com/pwrpub_view.scml?ppa=7kmtu%5DYlrjemopYThe%7D 38%7DbfeiZ%21 (Jim
> Mateja's syndicated vehicle column)
>
> <<Jan. 12--DETROIT--The No. 1 vehicle with members of the younger than 18 crowd?
>
> Hummer, of course.
>
> "Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
> age," ... And that's the reason the $100,000 Hummer H1 and $50,000 Hummer H2 will soon be joined
> by a $35,000 Hummer H3... While most 18-year-olds don't have the money for a $100,000, $50,000 or
> a $35,000 Hummer, they can convince mom and dad that a $100,000 or $50,000 or $35,000 Hummer is a
> wise purchase.>>

Christ, if the current "cheap" one is based on the Tahoe, what's the "cheap, cheap" one going to be
based on, the Aztek?

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:24:49 -0500, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:46:34 -0600, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
>>age," ...
>
> Interesting - the age group most renowned for thinking with their testicles rather than
> thier brains.

Are you at all surprized at that correlation?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

>Interesting - the age group most renowned for thinking with their testicles rather than
>thier brains.
>
>Guy

Well you know the answer, Guy... Cut off their... ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:46:34 -0600, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
> >age," ...
>
> Interesting - the age group most renowned for thinking with their testicles rather than
> thier brains.
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Frank Burke <[email protected]> wrote:
: testicles? hummers? Is this the trace of irony mentioned below?

I was thinking along the same lines. When I was a teenager I thought alot about getting a hummer
but it wasn't a vehicle.

: "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
:>
:> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:46:34 -0600, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> >"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
:> >age," ...
:>
:> Interesting - the age group most renowned for thinking with their testicles rather than thier
:> brains.
:>
:> Guy
:> ===
:> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL
:> and dynamic DNS permitting)
:> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
:> work. Apologies.

--
'People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time All day long I think of things
but nothing seems to satisfy' 'Make a joke and I will sigh And you will laugh and I will
cry' -Black Sabbath

> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > You mean that people are driving vehicles named after slang for an erect penis?
> >

> Here's the hummer site. http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/index.jsp
>
> Trust me, this is NOT a satire site.

They picked a good vehicle to target the female market with!?
--
_________________________

wrote in part:

>Anyone who thinks this isn't bike related should ponder more teenagers passing in giant vehicles:
>
>http://www.intellisearchnow.com/pwrpub_view.scml?ppa=7kmtu%5DYlrjemopYThe%7D 38%7DbfeiZ%21 (Jim
>Mateja's syndicated vehicle column)
>
><<Jan. 12--DETROIT--The No. 1 vehicle with members of the younger than 18 crowd?
>
>Hummer, of course.
>
>"Our marketing research shows Hummer the No. 1 aspirational brand among those under 18 years of
>age," ...

It's interesting that they specify the *under* 18 group. Others have pointed to the "little head
thinking" phenomena but I'd suggest a different explanation. A group labelled "under 18" not only
includes 16 and 17 yr old licensed drivers, it also includes pre-teens. Cosmetically, the only
differences between an H1 or H2 and a Tonka Truck are scale and the Tonka sticker. How many of those
surveyed still have a Tonka toy or two hanging around?

As an aside, I know some parents buy expensive cars for their teenaged kids but it always amazes me
that they can be smart enough to make the kind of money that allows them to buy Junior or Princess a
BMW and yet still dumb enough to do it. <g>

Regards, Bob Hunt

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

snip
> As an aside, I know some parents buy expensive cars for their teenaged kids but it always amazes
> me that they can be smart enough to make the kind of money that allows them to buy Junior or
> Princess a BMW and yet still dumb enough to do it. <g>
>
> Regards, Bob Hunt

Maybe they are smart enough to get the best protection and reliability for their children. I wish I
could afford a BMW. I had to use my wifes life insurance to get my daughter an X5, but I sleep
better at night knowing she drives one.

I think Bob is just a little jealous, or maybe he wants a better bike.

Ride Safe

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> As an aside, I know some parents buy expensive cars for their teenaged kids but it always amazes
> me that they can be smart enough to make the kind of money that allows them to buy Junior or
> Princess a BMW and yet still dumb enough to do it. <g>

Flipside, I know a kid who asked for a Trek OCLV for high school graduation rather than the
equivalent car, and he got it.

Then again, he was a kid who rode 2000 miles in 20 days to celebrate Lance winning the Tour de
France in the year 2000. If I had a kid with the that level of enthusiasm, I'd consider getting her
the bike of her dreams, too.

--Claire Petersky Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:43:53 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe they are smart enough to get the best protection and reliability for their children.

A 1.4 litre Volvo! Reliable, cheap, safe - and completely gutless :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Claire Petersky wrote:

> Flipside, I know a kid who asked for a Trek OCLV for high school graduation rather than the
> equivalent car, and he got it.
>
> Then again, he was a kid who rode 2000 miles in 20 days to celebrate Lance winning the Tour de
> France in the year 2000. If I had a kid with the that level of enthusiasm, I'd consider getting
> her the bike of her dreams, too.

That, and a bucket of Bag Balm. Twenty consecutive centuries? Wow.

On 17 Jan 2003 15:15:12 GMT, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> wrote:

> Herabouts it's slang for a certain oral act performed on an erect penis.

Ah. I didn't know that - but I wish I had, I would have felt doubly smug making such a pun :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.