Teflon Tape for Bottom Bracket?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kaizen, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Kaizen

Kaizen New Member

My aluminum frame bike makes a creaking noise when I'm out of the saddle and applying the torque... I heard putting Plumber’s Teflon tape around the treads of the BB may do the trick to stop the noise... Any thoughts?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It works.Use some grease too.Also make sure it's properly torqued.

3. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

worked for me. make sure you clean the threads real good before doing it (duh)

4. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Are you sure it´s the BB ?
    Could be the cranks , pedals or even the cleats .
    If it is the BB and it´s instaled correctly then the only choice may be to replace it - but remember that aluminium rings like a bell and it can be difficult to locate just where a noise is coming from ( a friend , who should know better , had a noise in the area of the handle bar that was traced , finally , to the front axle ) so try getting a mate to try it and see if they have the same problem .

5. meehs

meehs New Member

Temporary thread locking compund (Loctite Blue) works great to eliminate this problem on aluminum frames. Again thouroughly clean the threads before you use it. I would almost bet it's the BB, this is a common thing on aluminum frames.

6. BIANCHI_EURO

BIANCHI_EURO New Member

On the Shimano locnot assembly paste there's a note indicating this is the crease to solve this problem. Ask for a bit at the local bike store since the bottle is big enough to assemble five bikes and you just need a bit. By the way.... (don't be mistaken) you shouldn't be greedy while applying. Apply suitable crease (check this site for pics: http://www.parktool.com/)

Good luck, B.

7. drebro

drebro New Member

Indeed. I got a new Trek 1500 aluminum frame in February, and it started the BB noise within 600-700 km. I will have to try some of these ideas. Can the cause of the squeaking noise damage the frame or bottom bracket? Or is it just a nuisance?
    I should add that I am pretty sure it is the bottom bracket or cranks because it mainly happens when I am out of the saddle putting a lot of force on the pedals, and particularly toward the bottom of the stroke of my left crank. Does that indicate for sure what it would be?
    Thanks for all the help from the discussions.

8. daveornee

daveornee New Member

There are many different materials involved in brands and models of Bottom Brackets.
    If your lock rings are plastic do not use Loctite® #242 as it makes them brittle.
    If they are metal use Loctite® #242.
    For more details see:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcartdg.shtml

9. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

I have a Ti frame with Campy components - I'll try to briefly share some of the information I've gotten from a very good mechanic and the web -

(1) if you hear a creaking sound when torqueing up hill out of the saddle, check the headset as well as the BB; especially if it's an internal headset.

(2) with the bike in front of you step down hard on the peddle - if you hear a creak it could be solved by putting the Loctite #242 where the lockring or cups meet the bearing body - finding this solution took about an hour at the bike shop ; my mechanic did say that the newer Shimano designs have their BB bearings outboard and you don't get the creak.

the origin of many other creaks has been pretty well documented - chainring bolts, cleats, etc.