Tektro brake calipers: Good, fair or...

LouisN

Feb 9, 2007
Hi, I bought Tektro rx 40 brake calipers for road racing. Are they worth it ? Will I kill myself riding 3000 mi. a year on those?That much lower end than Shimano or Campy? Is the alloy that much cheaper or REALLY it's a Trademark Thing?
Thanks guys and girls.
LouisN

They are fine, maybe comparable to shimano 105 level. Tektro makes brakes for many companies which re-brand them.

I seem to recall reading reviews on some Tektro-equipped bikes such as the Giant TCR series, where the reviewers mentioned repeatedly how sub-par the braking system performed. They'd upgrade to Ultegra or Dura-Ace and would feel an immediate change in performance. I'm sure the Tektro's will stop you, but it doesn't sound like they're terribly performance-oriented.

ryanspeer said:
I seem to recall reading reviews on some Tektro-equipped bikes such as the Giant TCR series, where the reviewers mentioned repeatedly how sub-par the braking system performed. They'd upgrade to Ultegra or Dura-Ace and would feel an immediate change in performance. I'm sure the Tektro's will stop you, but it doesn't sound like they're terribly performance-oriented.

A big part of may be related to lower quality brake shoes. I think that an upgrade to kool-stop pads makes the cheaper brakes a lot better.

My old bike had Tektro rx 20's on it (I'm assuming that is a level or two lower than your 50's) I HATED them. I found them to be rather grabby and unreliable no matter how they were adjusted. If I had been keeping that bike I would have changed the brakes to something better.

oh - and putting better brake pads on them did nothing to change how they performed for me.

Hi there,

Just discovered I had RX 20g models! Not Rx40. :(

Now I'm totally in the dark. They say these are triathlon brakes. What's the difference between these and road race or performance brakes???:confused:

Thanks Eden anyways, from your reviews, I guess I will probably throw them on Ebay or something...
LouisN