tektro cross lever question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    i bought a pair of the new tektro cross levers, and they look good. i am curious, however, about one
    part of the instructions.

    the instructions state that the rear brake should use a continuous length of housing. if your rear
    brake is activated by a two-piece housing system (ie: there are cable stops and a length of exposed
    wire along the TT), the instructions say you should buy tektro's ugly looking devices that turn your
    existing cable stops into a cable guide.

    frankly, i dont understand. why would this matter? there is tension on teh cable the whole time, if
    the brakes are set up right. and i run a paul cross lever on my current bike. its a front, so i dont
    have to deal wiht two-part housing issue, but i didnt see anything in paul's instructions that said
    to use a continuous piece of housing, and the design is identical between these two components.

    im in no hurry to put these on a bike. they were bought for a new project which i have deided to put
    aerobars on instead of a cross lever, but i can't help but wonder

    so what's the deal?

    thanks, anthony

    btw- cross levers are great. if you're not going all out, how wonderful to be able to brake
    powerfully from the top of the bars! beach cruiser comfort in town, with your drops there for when
    you leave the traffic lights behind.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i bought a pair of the new tektro cross levers, and they look good. i am curious, however, about
    > one part of the instructions.
    >
    > the instructions state that the rear brake should use a continuous length of housing. if your rear
    > brake is activated by a two-piece housing system (ie: there are cable stops and a length of
    > exposed wire along the TT), the instructions say you should buy tektro's ugly looking devices that
    > turn your existing cable stops into a cable guide.
    >
    > frankly, i dont understand. why would this matter? there is tension on teh cable the whole time,
    > if the brakes are set up right. and i run a paul cross lever on my current bike. its a front, so i
    > dont have to deal wiht two-part housing issue, but i didnt see anything in paul's instructions
    > that said to use a continuous piece of housing, and the design is identical between these two
    > components.
    >
    > im in no hurry to put these on a bike. they were bought for a new project which i have deided to
    > put aerobars on instead of a cross lever, but i can't help but wonder
    >
    > so what's the deal?

    > btw- cross levers are great. if you're not going all out, how wonderful to be able to brake
    > powerfully from the top of the bars! beach cruiser comfort in town, with your drops there for when
    > you leave the traffic lights behind.

    I have installed a lot of these in the last couple of months not only on the 2003-1/2 Redline
    Conquest Pro but also on early 2003 models which didn't come with them out of the box. Both bikes
    have an exposed wire center brake cable layout, as most new bikes do today, and they work fine.

    I agree with you that I can't see any reason for that particular piece of advice in the directions.