Tektro Gemini brakes - help

Gilbo

Dec 30, 2006
Hello - I am new to disc/hydralic brakes and am also new to mountain bikes - I have been a race cyclist for years and have always used normal brakes, but I have had to upgrade as I am replacing inner tubes on a daily basis as my journey to and from work through Leeds City Centre is mostly done on the glass strewn pavements for safety and I think a mountain bike will be more hardy to such problems.

I have recently bought (just to get me started) a Barracuda Thriller from a friend. It is a cheap bike but for me is reasonably lightweight and will be used mainly for my treacherous journey each morning and evening.

The rear brake however, is not working and needs bleeding :(

The brakes are Tektro Gemini's, and do not have a fluid reservoir and I would like to bleed the brakes myself rather than putting the bike into a shop. I am quite able to bleed my car's brakes and my motorcycles brakes alone, but with the system on this bike not having reservoirs on front or rear, I am quite puzzled about how it is done? There are bleed nipples on the calipers, and on the brake levers. I would appreciate any help in doing this, and if people need pictures, I am able to upload some if needed.

Thanking you all in advance for your attention, and help.

Chris

Hi Gilbo

If you go to the Tektro site and select the support option you'll see a list of PDFs. Download the PDF for the Tektro Auriga brakes. Although this is a different model, it does have instructions on how to bleed the brakes. It could be similar to yours.
Also try looking in books on MTB repair; these usually have a generic guide on how to bleed disc brakes; and you could have a look at the Park Tools site -

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=20&imageField2.y=8

Although the instructions are only for Avid and Hayes these could give you an idea on what's involved.

Good luck with it.