Tektro "mini V' brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Zacho "Th, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. In another thread "Klydsdale" posted a link showing a linear pull brake for road bikes
    http://www.chucksbikes.com/bkminv.htm

    I have a question about these brakes.

    I cannot put standard Linear pulls on mytouring frame. Not because of cable pull, they have levers
    and adapters for that, but because of rim clearance.

    I have an older frame, and the bosses are too close together. I therefore cannot even mount them.
    Even with narrow rims. This, in fact is what led me to the idea of my "cantilever/linear pull
    conversion".

    So my question is, does anybody here have these brakes, and is the geometry the same as standard
    full length LP's? Do they require the same amount of rim clearance, that is?

  2. > I have an older frame, and the bosses are too close together. I therefore cannot even mount them.
    > Even with narrow rims.

    You may try swapping the left/right V-brakes' arms. People did this with extra-wide rims ("Snow Cat
    rims" for winter cycling), when there was not enough clearance between bosses.

    Picture is at http://users.rcn.com/icebike/images/rims.h2.jpg.

    --
    Konstantin Shemyak

    Remove the obvious 2 parts from the "reply-to"

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > So my question is, does anybody here have these brakes, and is the geometry the same as standard
    > full length LP's? Do they require the same amount of rim clearance, that is?

    Chris, I have a set of these... somewhere in my garage. I don't think they'll solve your problem-
    the pad-to-pivot arrangement is close to the same as "regular" V-brakes.

    I'm assuming you've tried tried playing around with the spacing washers on the brake shoes to gain
    additional space.

    Jeff

  4. I've tried REMOVING the washers. As many as I could, anyways. A couple of brands the pads attached
    like on regular canti's, so there were no washers to remove.

    Those couple of brands I could get on the rear. None would go on the front. I couldn't even get the
    wheel on with them mounted. Or vice versa.

    I considered getting new forks, but the only ones I could find with cantilever bosses were the big
    bulky ones for mountain bikes. (anybody know where I can find a nice set of lugged road forks with
    cantilever bosses (D/B'd preferred) ? )

    I've never thought of swapping the arms left/right. I might try that with the linears I'm taking off
    my MTB. But from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look hopeful.

    What I may end up doing is canabalizing my linears for a couple of parts and improve my
    cantilever-to- linear conversion. If it works, I'll put it on my site :-3)