Tektro R730 long reach brakes

rosborn

Aug 26, 2004
Howdy,

I am looking at a 2008 Giant OCR A1 that has Tektro R730 long reach brakes on it. Decent brakes? I would prefer to put Shimano calipers on the bike and I am wondering what kind of problem, if any, the "long reach" aspect of the brakes will present if I decide to switch them out?

Thanks,

Rob

rosborn said:
Howdy,

I am looking at a 2008 Giant OCR A1 that has Tektro R730 long reach brakes on it. Decent brakes? I would prefer to put Shimano calipers on the bike and I am wondering what kind of problem, if any, the "long reach" aspect of the brakes will present if I decide to switch them out?

Thanks,

Rob
My understanding is that long reach (57mm) brakes need to be used when the bike has a lot of clearance between the tyre and fork bridge. You might find that the short-reach (47mm) brakes won't allow for the pad to reach the wheel rim. Shimano does make a long reach caliper (I have them on one of my bikes).

biker jk said:
My understanding is that long reach (57mm) brakes need to be used when the bike has a lot of clearance between the tyre and fork bridge. You might find that the short-reach (47mm) brakes won't allow for the pad to reach the wheel rim. Shimano does make a long reach caliper (I have them on one of my bikes).

May I ask what model number the Shimano long reach caliper is?