Tektro RX2.0 cyclocross/auxiliary brake levers = very tight fit?

GRL

Guest
I have a touring bike with a 26 mm (measured) handlebar diameter. I
bought a set of Tektro RX2.0 so-called cyclocross op mount brake levers
for the bike. According to the Supergo web site, these things are meant
to fit a 26 mm handlebar. Yet, when I try to mount them on my handlebar,
they don't quite want to clear. Further, when I measure the ID of the
RX2.0 with the clamp loose, there are spots where it is just not 26 mm wide.

Sheldon says these things are drop forged aluminum, so I am hesitant to
force them for fear of cracking them. (that would also tear up the black
paint of the handlebar; not a big deal, but not no deal, either).

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone get them to fit over a 26 mm
handlebar? I can grind them a bit, but that is tricky and I'd rather not.

I don't know why Tektro didn't just make them a little over-size and
give the buyer a plastic spacer to use if needed.

- GRL

"GRL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:WOqPd.9542$m%[email protected]...
> I have a touring bike with a 26 mm (measured) handlebar diameter. I
> bought a set of Tektro RX2.0 so-called cyclocross op mount brake levers
> for the bike. According to the Supergo web site, these things are meant
> to fit a 26 mm handlebar. Yet, when I try to mount them on my handlebar,
> they don't quite want to clear. Further, when I measure the ID of the
> RX2.0 with the clamp loose, there are spots where it is just not 26 mm

wide.

> Sheldon says these things are drop forged aluminum, so I am hesitant to
> force them for fear of cracking them. (that would also tear up the black
> paint of the handlebar; not a big deal, but not no deal, either).
>
> Anyone else had this problem? Anyone get them to fit over a 26 mm
> handlebar? I can grind them a bit, but that is tricky and I'd rather not.
>
> I don't know why Tektro didn't just make them a little over-size and
> give the buyer a plastic spacer to use if needed.
>
> - GRL

I just installed these exact same levers on my gf's road bike, and they fit
perfectly. I just looked at her 3ttt bars, and about an inch on each side
of the center, the bars step down to a slightly smaller diameter, and these
Tektro levers fit perfectly right up against that little step-down in
diameter. BTW, they were easy install, and work perfectly and she loves
them. I had to modify the rear brake cable since the housing wasn't a
single piece, but it wasn't a big deal.

I just looked at my own road bike, and my own bars have the same "step down"
as hers, so they would work equally well on my bike if I choose to use them.

The only thing I can imagine is that you have some older bars that are the
same diameter all the way around? You might be in for buying some new bars
to use these.

Let me know if I'm confusing you. I can send you a picture if you like.

Regards,
H.

"GRL" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a touring bike with a 26 mm (measured) handlebar
> diameter. I bought a set of Tektro RX2.0 so-called cyclocross
> top mount brake levers for the bike. According to the Supergo
> web site, these things are meant to fit a 26 mm handlebar.
> Yet, when I try to mount them on my handlebar, they don't
> quite want to clear. Further, when I measure the ID of the
> RX2.0 with the clamp loose, there are spots where it is
> just not 26 mm wide.

> Anyone else had this problem? Anyone get them to fit over
> a 26 mm handlebar? I can grind them a bit, but that is tricky
> and I'd rather not.

The RX2.0 levers that I have are designed to clamp to the narrower (23.8mm)
protion of the bar adjacent to the 26mm bulge. Although the Supergo website
lists two versions, both pictures show levers which, like mine, clamp to
the narrower part of the bar:

http://www.supergo.com/product_images/large/50-0316.jpg

Unless Tektro have changed the design, that's your problem. You may need to
unwrap the handlebar tape a little.

> I don't know why Tektro didn't just make them a little over-size
> and give the buyer a plastic spacer to use if needed.

It might even make more sense to make them all 31.8mm and provide a set of
shims to adapt them to the various different diameters.

James Thomson

You're right, even though they are supposedly for a 26 mm bar, they have
to be mounted to the narrower part of the bar (under the tape). I
understand that the 31.8 mm flavor comes with a spacer for the "26 mm"
bar size.

SuperGo should really just say what actual size bar they fit, not the
part of the bar where they will not fit.

Sheesh.

- GRL

James Thomson wrote:

>"GRL" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I have a touring bike with a 26 mm (measured) handlebar
>>diameter. I bought a set of Tektro RX2.0 so-called cyclocross
>>top mount brake levers for the bike. According to the Supergo
>>web site, these things are meant to fit a 26 mm handlebar.
>>Yet, when I try to mount them on my handlebar, they don't
>>quite want to clear. Further, when I measure the ID of the
>>RX2.0 with the clamp loose, there are spots where it is
>>just not 26 mm wide.
>>

>>Anyone else had this problem? Anyone get them to fit over
>>a 26 mm handlebar? I can grind them a bit, but that is tricky
>>and I'd rather not.
>>

>The RX2.0 levers that I have are designed to clamp to the narrower (23.8mm)
>protion of the bar adjacent to the 26mm bulge. Although the Supergo website
>lists two versions, both pictures show levers which, like mine, clamp to
>the narrower part of the bar:
>
>http://www.supergo.com/product_images/large/50-0316.jpg
>
>Unless Tektro have changed the design, that's your problem. You may need to
>unwrap the handlebar tape a little.
>

>>I don't know why Tektro didn't just make them a little over-size
>>and give the buyer a plastic spacer to use if needed.
>>

>It might even make more sense to make them all 31.8mm and provide a set of
>shims to adapt them to the various different diameters.
>
>James Thomson

No, I have the same bar you do. All became clear when I saw a set of
these installed in a local shop where I was shopping for a kick stand. I
didn't realize that my bar was tapered because the tape covered the
tapered part.

- GRL