Telekom in disarray

So true ! They love talking about Lance's cadence and then they **** on about Jan the 'big man from Germay' pulling the 'big gears' up the mountain.....

They are a good team the Phil and Paul show.... on Luz Ardiden in 2003 they just could not agree on how Armstrong fell..... Paul told Phil to shutup call the race and we will wait for the reply at the end of the stage... thrilling !

tcklyde said:
Hey, I love Phil and Paul but they are pretty funny. Two things you can count on with Phil and Paul: 1) If Phil predicts the winner of the stage during the stage, that rider will NOT win, and 2) Paul will spend at least 15 minutes during each mountain stage talking about Lance's cadence.

whiteboytrash said:
So true ! They love talking about Lance's cadence and then they **** on about Jan the 'big man from Germay' pulling the 'big gears' up the mountain..... !
LOL! Very true: Phil is always good for one "look at Lance dancing on the pedals" and Paul for a reference to Ullrich as a "diesel engine".

That being said, I'm grateful to have them calling the races for the American audience. They actually know cycling from the old-school perspective. We were given a taste of the horrifying consequences of what is likely to happen when those two are no longer around, with the daily race program being "anchored" by Al Trautwig. Now, Al is a consummate professional, and a great anchorman for sporting events about which he has a clue. Cycling isn't one of them, and OLN was smart enough to go exclusively to Phil/Paul for the last segment of each stage.

LOL !! Love it ! Phil does a good job calling the sprints as well.... its hard to pick the riders when they are going that fast but he does a super job.....

Paul was good in 2003 for a: "look at them go Phil, there are attacking Armstrong like a automatic rifle, bang, bang, bang, there they go again, for the first time they feel his vulnerable...'

Awesome Paul....

WBT out.

rejobako said:
LOL! Very true: Phil is always good for one "look at Lance dancing on the pedals" and Paul for a reference to Ullrich as a "diesel engine".

That being said, I'm grateful to have them calling the races for the American audience. They actually know cycling from the old-school perspective. We were given a taste of the horrifying consequences of what is likely to happen when those two are no longer around, with the daily race program being "anchored" by Al Trautwig. Now, Al is a consummate professional, and a great anchorman for sporting events about which he has a clue. Cycling isn't one of them, and OLN was smart enough to go exclusively to Phil/Paul for the last segment of each stage.

WBT : some of the commentary does go off on a tnagent at ES, granted but rarely have I heard SK going on about food/hotels during the commentary.

If you read what a lot of non-Europeans say here : they never get ANY cycling TV coverage in their own countries.

I am grateful for any cycling coverage we do get.

Man, I agree with you there! I can remember being a young cyclist in the early 1980's with Phil Anderson as my hero trying to find out how he was going in the Tour and only being able to get day old results in the newspaper. There was rarely anything on the TV news about European Pro cycling. Times have changed in Australia and we are now getting every stage live so I am very grateful!
limerickman said:
WBT : some of the commentary does go off on a tnagent at ES, granted but rarely have I heard SK going on about food/hotels during the commentary.

If you read what a lot of non-Europeans say here : they never get ANY cycling TV coverage in their own countries.

I am grateful for any cycling coverage we do get.

Lol, oke here I come as dutch guy. The NOS is the only channel who has there own moto in the race......so that motoguy sees directly who is good who isn't and is really inside the race. So we are constantly updated from inside the race.........now were talking about good coverage:D

mocka58 said:
Man, I agree with you there! I can remember being a young cyclist in the early 1980's with Phil Anderson as my hero trying to find out how he was going in the Tour and only being able to get day old results in the newspaper. There was rarely anything on the TV news about European Pro cycling. Times have changed in Australia and we are now getting every stage live so I am very grateful!

limerickman said:
Hey WBT : Kelly gives great insights to the sport, he's not a continuity man but he always - always - calls the result correctly.

As regards France - they do try to scratch your eyes out - just ask the SA hooker Smit.
He nearly got his eyes taken out in Port Elizabeth last weekend.

They do have some classy players. I'll give a full match report tomorrow.

I'm out to buy 21 video tapes so I can tape every stage live from SBS (cause it starts at 10 each night and finishes after midnite - way past my bedtime). I'm going to have to quit my job so I can watch cycling full time...if only I could afford it.

Phil and Paul are legends.

Have any of you followed the commentary on cycling news. Now that is entertaining. They spent some time last year talking about how virenque was carrying the cow that was his prize for his stage win upside down on the team car. Maybe you had to be there.