Television Coverage of Cycling--Where can I find it?

IndyRider

Aug 13, 2005
Help! I am an American who is interested in hearing/watching more than the Tour de France. What can I do? Where can I find television coverage of the other grand tours, the one day classics, and other races. Your responses are much appreciated.

Merry Christmas,

IndyRider

Again same question. And again same answer - Eurosport, they give all spring classics, most of Pro Tour and, off course, all three Grand Tours. I don't know if and how you can catch this channel in USA, but I think it's on Astra and (or) HotBird satelite. There is also some Belgian TV station which gives every single race no matter is it a Pro Tour, Grand Tour or some local race, but I don't know the name of the station and I doubt they are on satelite.

IndyRider said:
Help! I am an American who is interested in hearing/watching more than the Tour de France. What can I do? Where can I find television coverage of the other grand tours, the one day classics, and other races. Your responses are much appreciated.

Merry Christmas,

IndyRider

Your best option would be to move to Europe. Other than that, cycling.tv has some coverage. I expect OLN (Only Lance Network) may completely ditch cycling next year.

wineandkeyz said:
You can see some things live at Eurosport.com.
how do I get access to eurosport??? Their website seems to have live audio but I can't find a link for live internet tv. Who has done this?

Andrija said:
There is also some Belgian TV station which gives every single race no matter is it a Pro Tour, Grand Tour or some local race, but I don't know the name of the station and I doubt they are on satelite.

Sporza. I'm not sure if it's on Satelite or not.

Yeah well Holland and Belgium get the full package. In Belgium it's Sporza and in Holland we have the NOS! But Sporza is better; shows almost every race........

But I'm afraid you need to live in europe and probably in belgium and Holland to get those 2 channels. BUT eurosport is a good alternative.....

And for americans I hear cyclingtv is a very good option.....
Dead Star said:
Sporza. I'm not sure if it's on Satelite or not.

barnstorm said:
how do I get access to eurosport??? Their website seems to have live audio but I can't find a link for live internet tv. Who has done this?
Oops, my bad. I really shouldn't post until I've had my 4th cup of coffee in the morning...

Eurosport does have live AUDIO, but not live VIDEO. They do have some video clips, but they're not live.

wineandkeyz said:
Oops, my bad. I really shouldn't post until I've had my 4th cup of coffee in the morning...

Eurosport does have live AUDIO, but not live VIDEO. They do have some video clips, but they're not live.
what about cyclingtv? is that live streaming video?

barnstorm said:
what about cyclingtv? is that live streaming video?

from what they did last year, yes, but usually Belgian races hosted by Sporza. However, they did show the World Championships on live streaming for US and China.

If you live in the US you can watch the World Tractor Pull Championships on Channel 487 on USsports-R-US.... way better than Paris-Roubaix me thinks.... :p

Dead Star said:
from what they did last year, yes, but usually Belgian races hosted by Sporza. However, they did show the World Championships on live streaming for US and China.

I think y'all need to stop picking on OLN. Where else can you watch bull-riding in the morning, followed by six hours of re-runned game/reality show, followed by a show about bar-b-q.

Did you ever wonder if the bulls that don't do so good on the rodeo show are the 'guests of honor' at the bar-b-q show?

And who needs cycling when you can watch Babe Winkelman's fishing show or the award winning "RV Today."

I love the show where they describe, in great detail, the latest military assault errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I mean hunting rifles available at your corner store and local wal mart.

barnstorm said:
I love the show where they describe, in great detail, the latest military assault errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I mean hunting rifles available at your corner store and local wal mart.
The OLN program director seems to be a childish, instigative little brat (like 2 or 3 posters that live in the Grand Tours thread). One email I sent to them was answered like this (paraphrasing here) "We are getting many inquiries about the Giro d' Italia race programming, we will create a link on our web site shortly." and of course they didn't and they only showed 1 hour coverage on Saturday's following that weeks stages. Ironically, one wonders how many inquiries they get for Ruger Country and RV Today.

I hope Discovery Channel picks up some coverage of these races in the coming years. If they (Disco) are counting on advertising exposure from OLN, it's not going to happen.

Lw

whiteboytrash said:
If you live in the US you can watch the World Tractor Pull Championships on Channel 487 on USsports-R-US.... way better than Paris-Roubaix me thinks.... :p
They only show the World Tractor Pull Championships in L.A.(Lower Alabama).:D

It's amazing. Lance Armstrong is one of the most famous people in the U.S. and even the Discovery Channel, his very own sponsor, won't show a television program on him (the very dull looking "Chasing Seven" appeared on the Travel Channel) -- they'd rather show fifty different versions of custom motorcycle construction.

I'm not saying that I want to see another hour long hagiography on Lance. I don't. I'm just amazed that for someone so idealized by American media, the very same media won't make the smallest effort to introduce their viewers to the sport he participates in.

I have no hope for OLN. We'll get a TdF highlights special at best. I'm planning on having European friends mail me taped cycling. At least I'll get to see the races, even if it is two weeks late.

And I'm hoping American cable will eventually pick up Eurosport.

I have yet to meet an American recreational bicyclist that has the slightest interest in the European bicycle races. That may have a lot to do with the availability of the races on TV. However I have never in my long life of 84 years met anyone who was interested in bull riding or whatever it is called. I can’t imagine who would care to watch OLN for anything other than bike racing. Can anyone tell me how you let a network know when you are watching their programming?

Robert Gardner said:
I have yet to meet an American recreational bicyclist that has the slightest interest in the European bicycle races. That may have a lot to do with the availability of the races on TV. However I have never in my long life of 84 years met anyone who was interested in bull riding or whatever it is called. I can’t imagine who would care to watch OLN for anything other than bike racing. Can anyone tell me how you let a network know when you are watching their programming?
their websites have comment/email contact information but I am totally convinced that OLN does not care what we think. I am not sure whether they pay closer attention to the people who shoot guns or not?

tcklyde said:
It's amazing. Lance Armstrong is one of the most famous people in the U.S. and even the Discovery Channel, his very own sponsor, won't show a television program on him (the very dull looking "Chasing Seven" appeared on the Travel Channel) -- they'd rather show fifty different versions of custom motorcycle construction.

I'm not saying that I want to see another hour long hagiography on Lance. I don't. I'm just amazed that for someone so idealized by American media, the very same media won't make the smallest effort to introduce their viewers to the sport he participates in.

I have no hope for OLN. We'll get a TdF highlights special at best. I'm planning on having European friends mail me taped cycling. At least I'll get to see the races, even if it is two weeks late.

And I'm hoping American cable will eventually pick up Eurosport.
I think the main hope we have right now to get more major Cycling coverage is for the new Tour De California to take off. Eventhough we have the TDG, California has double the population, plus is home to many more media outlets. If the T of C can create a strong fanfare, then this could pave the way to more coverage of the race being on tv, then maybe bring in some more Eurpoean coverage.

Also, If Hincapie can come through and win the Ronde or Roubaix, possibably this could help some more. (Any American rider could do, but obviously Hincapie seems to be the most likely)