Tell me about bar widths

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by juvel01, Feb 28, 2006.

1. juvel01

juvel01 New Member

I am in the process of building a new road bike bike and I have a question related to bar width. Textbook, I am supposed to ride a 38, however, I seem to be more comfortable on a 42, I tend to ride wide. Now, I'm reading that for better rideability and aerodynamics I should be riding on the smaller bar. I have also heard that riding a bar that is too wide can cause shoulder issues. How much difference will it make in my riding?

Tags:

2. Tatti

Tatti New Member

Not sure what difference it would make to your riding apart from aerodynamics, all i know is that i have always been told that bar width should equal shoulder width, sorry can't be of any more help than that.

Tatti

3. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

4. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Ride what is comfortable.

If i go by the textbook I should be using a 40. From experimentation I breath better with a wide bar, a 44 in particular.

5. PeterF

PeterF New Member

One note: American brands like Ritchey measure their bars center to center (c-to-c), while Italian bars (3TTT, Deda, ITM) measure outside to outside (o-to-o). Also, some brands flare out at the drops (3TTT is one). I have noticed that a set of 44 cm 3TTT's that I own are about a centimeter narrower at the bends (where I spend most of my time) than a set of 42 Ritchey's that I also own. Consider the depth of the reach and drop as well. If you spend several hours a week on the road, comfort is key.