tell me about probikekit supplements

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by vitamin s, Apr 8, 2007.

1. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

whats up cyclists,

im in japan and have limited options for buying supplements and stuff in my small, country town.

so, i have resolved to buy some supplements from probikekit.com . to give you some background, i am riding my bike about 12 hours per week and doing judo 6 hours per week as well. im happy with my weight, and dont want to increase my muscle mass, but id like to try some supplements that may help with my recovery.

3 days a week, i am riding my bike and going to judo practice and its pretty taxing.

from the stuff on probikekit.com, do you have any comments or advice? thanks in advance

Tags:

2. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I buy a number of the High 5 range through Probikekit with no hassels.

3. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

thanks for the reply. was there a reason you chose the high5 over the sport in science products?

out of all the stuff you take, what was the most helpful, and what should i avoid?

4. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I initially tried the High 5 stuff a few years ago as I find the taste of Gatorade and Power-aide to be to sugary. I figured that as those were American products, and you know their love for sugar, that a English product may be less sweet, and it was.

Out of the drinks I use the Isotonic on hot days and during longer sustained rides and the 4:1 on early morning ones to put some fuel in the system.

I also use the Gels and Energy bars on long rides and races. You will find the gels fairly liquidity, but this makes them easy to consume. The bars are fairly solid & chewy, you will need to drink water at the same time you are eating them. I figure their intention is to make you drink while you eat.

I do use the sports, but less frequently as the coating has a tendency to melt on hot days or in jersey pockets, but as a top up before a race they are quite nice and easy to eat. The protein recovery bar has a similar coating, but taste great.

Their recovery drinks are also quite good. The chocolate flavor is meant to be mixed with milk or water, but does not go well with the water. On the other hand the summer fruit one mixes fine and is just great after a long hard ride.

As for the SIS products I got a trial pack a couple of months ago just to see what it was like, in a word 'crap'. I feel really sorry for the CSC guys if they are now stuck with this over High 5 with the change in sponsor.

The energy bars are like giant rice crispy bars and have OK taste, but are like trying to eat taffy while you are riding.

The gels tasted just plain wrong and had the texture of half solidified jelly.

The isotonic drinks were so sweet and had the worst aftertaste, i ended up pouring them out after a couple of mouthfuls. It was the same for both flavors, blackcurrant and orange. The recovery drinks had the same foul aftertaste and were really hard to mix as well.

As for what to avoid thetas really hard to say. I am a firm believer in the electrolyte replacement products and personally on a normal ride will drink one 500ml bottle with another filled with water every 1-1/2 depending on the temp and pace of the ride.

for rides under 2 hours I don't tend to eat bars or gels, but over this time I tend to go for 1 bar and 2 gels per 2 hours, right from the start.

my best suggestion is to do some reading on how much to eat and drink and do some experiments on your own rides to see how you feel and react.

5. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

how did you go with trying out some products?