Tell me if this sounds weird to you. Building my bike

thestretch said:
I came up with this crazy idea based on a couple of ideas.

1. Wheels are the greatest performance enhancers because of rotational weight and aerodynamics, right? So why not get the best? I've been hearing that SLs are bomb proof. Does this mean they hold up better over the years? Or is there something just as good for cheaper?

2. SORA sux(i can say that cause I own it and have ridden it for 2 years now) and it wears out too easily. it's not meant for training let alone racing. Don't want to get 105s because I know I'm gonna eventually get Ultegra might as well spend more now than loose even more later.

3. This is the big factor. It could take a year of saving to get something like a LOOK Kg461 or a Trek 5200 frame. Last thing I want to do also is be riding around on a nice frame like that with big clunky rims and tires like i got now. Not to mention SORA components! lol

4. I know I said I 'know nothing'. Don't take that to literally though, I just don't want to come off as sounding cocky. I'm 23, my friends say i'm overly competitive, and my engine is fine. My gramar sucks also. I ride hard always and I know what it takes to be good at anything. It's simple. Work... Lots and lots of hard honest work.

What I'm asking is... I dont have the cash to buy a whole new bike, not even a 5200 for next race season. Only have like a $1000(ebay 'new ultegra' and 'lightly used sls' go for this) to work with. I'f I put on some really nice rims with some good reliable components, will it increase my performance at all. Will I be safer on the downhills and accelerate quicker out of the turns?

Keep this in mind. This is not the end product. I do plan on getting a nicer frame. Once it's all finished I know the bike will look and ride great. This is like a 2 year project. I just want stuff now. I dont want to have to keep saving for 2 years and keep riding on this ****.

I probably wrote way to much and am now just boring you. :(
Ks aren't the best.That's just subjective opinion,and they aren't bombproof either. They have had their share of problems with rims cracking at the spoke holes. Poseur's and wannabees love em tho. That 1000 frame/fork is a POS, and hanging expensive stuff on it will make you look silly. Spend less on chi-chi wheels and put a few buck into a frame like a Cdale caad4 or 5 that is better than most riders,and you could hang DA or record on without looking silly.There are plenty of good frame buys on ebay too.

boudreaux said:
Ks aren't the best.That's just subjective opinion,and they aren't bombproof either. They have had their share of problems with rims cracking at the spoke holes. Poseur's and wannabees love em tho. That 1000 frame/fork is a POS, and hanging expensive stuff on it will make you look silly. Spend less on chi-chi wheels and put a few buck into a frame like a Cdale caad4 or 5 that is better than most riders,and you could hang DA or record on without looking silly.There are plenty of good frame buys on ebay too.
I care about going fast and staying alive. I ride in a cotton t-shirt. I dont even own a cycling jersey. Does that tell you anything about how i care about how i look?:D I could care less about looks.

Thanks for the info on the Ksyriums though. Chi-chi? Never heard of em... Or is that slang?

After having put together a few extra bikes with cheap frames, I would have to put the frame at the bottom of the list, which is what the original poster is suggesting. His is probably reasonably stiff being steel, and comfortable. Heavy? Yes, but that doesn't mean anything until a certain level.

How/why does the frame help your performance?

I ride a custom Ti frame for normal rides, but also have a steel cyclo bike and a two cheap ($100) aluminum frames. They're all fine. Ti feels nicest, but that's really something only noticeable over 2 hour rides. For normal in the saddle ~20mph average stuff, I don't think it matters.

I think I'd put money into wheels, maybe replace a few components on your gruppo that frustrate you the most, and don't worry about it. I'd also go with your suggestion on getting Ultegra. There is a tiny difference in pricing between Ultegra/105. You can move it over to the new frame you eventually get and put the Tiagra back on the Trek.

CycleFreakLS said:
Disagree:

[a] Frame / fork
Wheelset
[c] Components

is the order where you spend your $ on a bike. Sora/Tiagra isn't the best stuff

jasong said:
After having put together a few extra bikes with cheap frames, I would have to put the frame at the bottom of the list, which is what the original poster is suggesting. His is probably reasonably stiff being steel, and comfortable.
You didn't even get that part right.It's aluminum.

"4. I know I said I 'know nothing'. Don't take that to literally though, I just don't want to come off as sounding cocky. I'm 23, my friends say i'm overly competitive, and my engine is fine. My gramar sucks also. I ride hard always and I know what it takes to be good at anything. It's simple. Work... Lots and lots of hard honest work."

Don't sell yourself short. You really do know nothing.

Go buy a jersey and decent pedals and shoes. Will give you more performance improvement than sticking good parts on a POS bike. Also the most transferable upgrade out there.

His original post said steel frame, aluminum fork. Also, your post didn't "even" respond to the theme of the message I had written.

boudreaux said:
You didn't even get that part right.It's aluminum.

jasong said:
His original post said steel frame, aluminum fork. Also, your post didn't "even" respond to the theme of the message I had written.
He also said it was a Trek 1000. That's aluminum. Neither of you dumbazzes knew that. FWIW, your 'theme' was so full of BS I didn't feel like wasting time on a long widned response. You apparently are too dense to pick up of the breadth of meaning in the initial reply.

Potty mouth! Why should I know what a "POS" frame's material is? Apparently you enjoy learning such interesting tidbits. Nor does your response contain anything coherent. God, I'm sounding like you.

boudreaux said:
He also said it was a Trek 1000. That's aluminum. Neither of you dumbazzes knew that. FWIW, your 'theme' was so full of BS I didn't feel

jasong said:
Why should I know what a "POS" frame's material is?
D'oh? Well I thought you might have been an expert,having built a few cheap frames. You kinda sounded like one. Now you just sound like a dumbazz.

ewitz said:
Go buy a jersey and decent pedals and shoes. Will give you more performance improvement than sticking good parts on a POS bike. Also the most transferable upgrade out there.
Don't know where you got the idea that i dont have pedals or shoes... I do have a set and they work fine...

Jersey prolly would help cause then i could cary around more food and stuff and have it more readily available. At the moment i have to stop and pull it out of the little baggy under my seat where i keep my extra tube and cell phone. Hehe

Oh yeah. I looked at the specs online and the frame is aluminum. sorry bout the misunderstanding all

thestretch said:
Oh yeah. I looked at the specs online and the frame is aluminum. sorry bout the misunderstanding all
Knowing you aren't dragging around a heavy POS steel boat anchor ought to make you faster than a new set of Ks would.

if you are on a budget i would suggest that you save some money and get a wheelset that has a big bank for the buck factor. Currently im looking into getting velomax Curcuit Comp, very good bang for the buck factor and they can be found on ebay for $250 you cant do much better then that.

thestretch said:
Don't know where you got the idea that i dont have pedals or shoes... I do have a set and they work fine...

Jersey prolly would help cause then i could cary around more food and stuff and have it more readily available. At the moment i have to stop and pull it out of the little baggy under my seat where i keep my extra tube and cell phone. Hehe

Actually, the big advantage of the jersey is it keeps you dry. When I first started riding, I was in cotton t shirts. A diehard cycling buddy loaned me one of his jerseys - big difference. You feel a lot fresher without a sweaty t shirt clinging to you.

JohnO said:
Actually, the big advantage of the jersey is it keeps you dry. When I first started riding, I was in cotton t shirts. A diehard cycling buddy loaned me one of his jerseys - big difference. You feel a lot fresher without a sweaty t shirt clinging to you.
Agree, and the evaporative cooling should enable you to put out a few extra watts of power on a hot day. Plus, going to the tight-fitting jersey (with zipper up so it doesn't flap) will probably reduce aero drag more than the bladed spokes on the K's.

Not saying any of this is huge, but it all adds up. I'd invest in good clothing and shoes before blowing big bucks on a shiny set of low-spoke count wheels.

dhk said:
Plus, going to the tight-fitting jersey (with zipper up so it doesn't flap) will probably reduce aero drag more than the bladed spokes on the K's.
Get rid of all the excess bacon before thinking about the aero benefits of a tight fitting jersey.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
You probably get called worse to your face...daily.

On topic, buy your parts, I went with Rolfs and love em, they added 3-5 mph right off the bat.
Sure.....HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!! Where can I get some of whatever you are on?

boudreaux said:
Get rid of all the excess bacon before thinking about the aero benefits of a tight fitting jersey.
Yeah, assume anyone talking about saving a pound on the wheelset or components has already gotten down to their optimal weight. If you're carrying an extra 10-20 pounds on the body, not much point in counting grams on the equipment.

I was in a similar position a while ago. I wouldn't recomend upgrading the components if you're not going to keep the frame around for long. You could end up investing in parts like the bottom bracket and front derailleur that you might not be able to use on the new frame. At the very least it's going to limit your frame choices. If you really want to upgrade something now, stick to the wheels and hold off on buying components until you can afford to build up a whole bike.

dhk said:
Yeah, assume anyone talking about saving a pound on the wheelset or components has already gotten down to their optimal weight.
HaHaHaHaHa...surely you jest?

boudreaux said:
HaHaHaHaHa...surely you jest?
Yeah, maybe just a bit tongue in cheek. But personally, I waited to get my 17.5 pound wonder until I lost the weight last year. It didn't seem right to spend big bucks for a 5 lb lighter bike when I was carrying an extra 45 pounds on the body.