Tell me why I shouldn't upgrade my frame??

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Well, I am currently riding an Orbea Lobular 50 for 2 seasons. A bit small but just small enough. Should I say is perfect. Part of me wants to get another frame, let's say Caad 8, which I can get for a new one at a reasonable price. My Orbea is showing signs of bubbles and wrinkles underneath the paint (around the seat tube). I like the frame. I hate to switch to another frame because it takes time to get used to the geometery. It costs time to switch components as well. Time that I can use for training. :D Use time and money for training or use them for getting a new frame????

BlueJersey said:
Well, I am currently riding an Orbea Lobular 50 for 2 seasons. A bit small but just small enough. Should I say is perfect. Part of me wants to get another frame, let's say Caad 8, which I can get for a new one at a reasonable price. My Orbea is showing signs of bubbles and wrinkles underneath the paint (around the seat tube). I like the frame. I hate to switch to another frame because it takes time to get used to the geometery. It costs time to switch components as well. Time that I can use for training. :D Use time and money for training or use them for getting a new frame????

If you think you need a new frame because of a few blemishes on the old one, forget it. If you are like me and like to tinker and build things, go for it. Just keep the old bike intact and build the new one as cash becomes available. There is nothing more fun than the anticipation of a new part arriving in the mail and then grabbing a beer, heading for the shop and installing it.

Xsmoker said:
If you think you need a new frame because of a few blemishes on the old one, forget it. If you are like me and like to tinker and build things, go for it. Just keep the old bike intact and build the new one as cash becomes available. There is nothing more fun than the anticipation of a new part arriving in the mail and then grabbing a beer, heading for the shop and installing it.
Nothing beats installing a headset with a 2x4 and a hammer after a couple Belgian ales...

After some side by side geometry comparison, the caad8 is only 1 cm larger than what I am racing with. Techinically, I shouldn't notice anything changed with the fit. Just bought the frame from Ebay. Looking forward to it. I am not sure I can pass the deal like that.

PeterF said:
Nothing beats installing a headset with a 2x4 and a hammer after a couple Belgian ales...

One option you have is to get your frame repainted. Although, one bad thing is it will take some time to get it repainted. I'm sure Orbea would repaint it for you or you can also find an outside source to paint it. As long as you have another spare bike to ride on the trainer, now is the perfect time to do this. It's snowing (where I am it is anyway:mad: ) so it's unrideable weather anyway.

BlueJersey said:
what do you suppose is causing the bubbles and wrinkles? that would have me concerned a little bit -

HR

No clues. Just only behind the seat tube. It has been long day. Finally built up my caad8. New brake and shifting cables and hosing. For some reason, the bike now shifts way much better than ever. The cable stops at the head tube may have something to do with it. The frame color is matted silver with black decals, surrounded with white masking. The bike looks bad ass. Nothing more power, speed, and strenght inspiring than a frame with big tubes. No offense but elegant tubes and lugs aren't my thing. Unfortunately, tomorrow NYC weather is very crappy and so I have to scrap my commute. Will take this baby out for a test ride on Tuesday with temp hovering in the upper 30s. :)

Hookyrider said:
what do you suppose is causing the bubbles and wrinkles? that would have me concerned a little bit -

HR