Tell us about your crashes

RoadScholar

Apr 12, 2004
I thought I'd start this crash thread. I'm not a bad rider, but it seems that I crash more than most, usually due to my stupidity in terms of riding in inclement weather or just getting caught behind crashes in races.

I crashed today because of the former. I decided to do a local Austin area ride called "Tour das Hugel," a 100-mile, 9,000 ft. climbing ride showcasing all of the greatest hills in Austin. Well, this morning a bunch of people decided to do the ride despite intermitten downpours in 50 degree weather. On one of the descents, I didn't expect a sharp left turn and wound up losing my back wheel. I did a face plant (literally) and unclipped immediately, so my bike wasn't too banged up. But I bounced and rolled for about 30 feet before landing in a ditch. I got up, feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. At the emergency room, the doctors sewed me up with 15 stitches: 4 in the nasal bridge, 8 in the knee and 3 in the elbow. But, despite being incredibly sore and covered in road rash, I'll be back on the bike in a week. There's no way that this will deter me.

What are some of your crash stories?

RoadScholar said:
I thought I'd start this crash thread. I'm not a bad rider, but it seems that I crash more than most, usually due to my stupidity in terms of riding in inclement weather or just getting caught behind crashes in races.

I crashed today because of the former. I decided to do a local Austin area ride called "Tour das Hugel," a 100-mile, 9,000 ft. climbing ride showcasing all of the greatest hills in Austin. Well, this morning a bunch of people decided to do the ride despite intermitten downpours in 50 degree weather. On one of the descents, I didn't expect a sharp left turn and wound up losing my back wheel. I did a face plant (literally) and unclipped immediately, so my bike wasn't too banged up. But I bounced and rolled for about 30 feet before landing in a ditch. I got up, feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. At the emergency room, the doctors sewed me up with 15 stitches: 4 in the nasal bridge, 8 in the knee and 3 in the elbow. But, despite being incredibly sore and covered in road rash, I'll be back on the bike in a week. There's no way that this will deter me.

What are some of your crash stories?
There already is a crash thread going right now.