"Temporary" Halt to Cycling on Brisbane Airport

Donga

Guest
Temporary Halt to Cycling on Brisbane Airport from Monday 26 May 2008

Good afternoon,

As you are aware Brisbane Airport is currently undergoing major
redevelopment as part of our
$2.5 billion infrastructure program.

The extent and scale of the construction activity, which is
highlighted on the attached map, is
now affecting most primary and secondary roads across the Airport.

Impacts on airport roads we are currently experiencing as a result of
construction activity are:
• Significant increase in the number of large loaded and unloaded
trucks travelling on
Airport roads
• Reductions in lane widths
• Loss of / reduction in shoulder widths on roads
• Lane closures and diversions
• Frequent changes to traffic management measures
• Potential for site material to be present on Airport roads

In addition, we now have approximately 75,000 cars per day travelling
to and from Brisbane
Airport. Airport Drive in fact now carries around the same volume of
vehicles as the Gateway
Motorway, and is, in effect, a major motorway in itself.

As a result of this work and the associated changed conditions on
Airport roads, and in the
interests of safety, Brisbane Airport Corporation has decided to
temporarily halt the use of
bicycles on Airport roads, effective from Monday 26 May 2008.

The closure of Airport roads to cyclists will remain in place for
around 18 - 24 months, at which
time BAC will assess construction activity and its affect on roads, as
well as the ability of the
road network to support safe cycling.

BAC Position on Cycling

Notwithstanding the closure of Airport roads to cyclists during
construction work, BAC
supports and actively promotes sustainable transport options to and
from the airport, and, in
principle, the use of bicycles by travellers and employees as an
environmentally sustainable
and healthy transport option.

The Brisbane Airport Master Plan has consistently reflected the
intention of BAC to develop
bicycle paths that connect terminals, business precincts and other
areas of the airport.
The 2008 Master Plan will build on this commitment, with the further
development of plans to
create an Airport-wide cycle strategy, including paths, crossings and
cycle parking facilities.
The BAC strategy will be developed in consultation with Brisbane City
Council and the
Queensland State Government to ensure that cycle paths on Brisbane
Airport are delivered at
a time when safe connections to the public entrances to the Airport,
via dedicated bicycle
pathways operated by the Brisbane City Council and the Queensland
Statement Government,
are in place, creating a region-wide cycling network.

Queries

If you would like us to provide a briefing for you and your staff or
if you have any queries about
this matter please contact our Information Line on 1800 737 075 and
the team will be able to
assist.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Willey
Executive Manager Airport Planning

On Apr 24, 11:18 am, Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> development of plans to
> create an Airport-wide cycle strategy, including paths, crossings and
> cycle parking facilities.
> The BAC strategy will be developed in consultation with Brisbane City
> Council and the
> Queensland State Government to ensure that cycle paths on Brisbane
> Airport are delivered at
> a time when safe connections to the public entrances to the Airport,
> via dedicated bicycle
> pathways operated by the Brisbane City Council and the Queensland
> Statement Government,
> are in place, creating a region-wide cycling network.
>
> Queries
>
> If you would like us to provide a briefing for you and your staff or
> if you have any queries about
> this matter please contact our Information Line on 1800 737 075 and

The matter has been reported on in our 'esteemed' rag, The Courier
Mail

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23592202-952,00.html

Feel free to add your comment, but be warned, you are in company of
the usual Brisbane bigots, who know no depths.

Donga

Watch out for my letter to the editor as well as my comment on the site.

F*ckers.

On Apr 27, 7:41 pm, LotteBum <LotteBum.38i...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Watch out for my letter to the editor as well as my comment on the site.
>
> F*ckers.
>
> --
> LotteBum

Just for the record, LotteBum is not one of the bigots to whom I
referred - she's a different one.

Donga
;)

Isn't it incredible that someone removes transport provisions before providing a satisfactory alternative solution. A similar occurence happened for removing access for cyclists to the westbound shoulder of the M2 in Sydney.

They wouldn't close the airport access to motorised traffic for a year and a half to two years without putting place an alternative route for one week or even one day

What does someone do if cycle touring to or from the airport. Do they camp at the Airport, or the other end of the Airport Drive for 2 years while they wait for a solution to be put in place. I'm not familiar with the railway facilities available there. How difficult is it to take bikes on the train?

Regular commuters should get access to a free on demand shuttle service.

OR

Free travel pass on the rail service shuttle,

OR

the implementation of a cycleway as an alternative.

for narrowed lanes lack of shoulders equate to necessary lowered speed limits, and have them enforced. and especially for trucks.

Lower the speed limit on the airport drive to a thoroughly enforced 40km/h speed limit. It is a construction work zone isn't it, so enforced 40km/h work zone speed limits should apply.

Michael G

What, and slow down the airport's profits.

Lives and livelihoods aren't that important

SCotty

On Apr 28, 4:20 pm, scotty72 <scotty72.38k...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> What, and slow down the airport's profits.
>
> Lives and livelihoods aren't that important
>
> SCotty
>
> mikeg Wrote:
>

> > Isn't it incredible that someone removes transport provisions before
> > providing a satisfactory alternative solution. A similar occurence
> > happened for removing access for cyclists to the westbound shoulder of
> > the M2 in Sydney.

> > They wouldn't close the airport access to motorised traffic for a
> > year and a half to two years without putting place an alternative route
> > for *one week or even one day*

> > What does someone do if cycle touring to or from the airport. Do they
> > camp at the Airport, or the other end of the Airport Drive for 2 years
> > while they wait for a solution to be put in place. I'm not familiar
> > with the railway facilities available there. How difficult is it to take
> > bikes on the train?

> > Regular commuters should get access to a free on demand shuttle
> > service.

> > OR

> > Free travel pass on the rail service shuttle,

> > OR

> > the implementation of a cycleway as an alternative.

> > for narrowed lanes lack of shoulders equate to necessary lowered
> > speed limits, and have them enforced. and especially for trucks.

> > Lower the speed limit on the airport drive to a thoroughly enforced
> > 40km/h speed limit. It is a construction work zone isn't it, so
> > enforced 40km/h work zone speed limits should apply.

> > Michael G

> --
> scotty72

That's about the strength of it. They are building massive carparks
and charging extortionate monopoly parking fees. Parking must be a
major profit centre for the airport.

As to the speed limit, they have put up concrete barriers in the side
lane and the road is still 2-3 lanes wide, so no reall need to slow up
- except if there are cyclists - or slow/stopped cars, but they are
ok, they are part of the legitimate traffic.

donga

Donga said:
On Apr 28, 4:20 pm, scotty72 <scotty72.38k...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> What, and slow down the airport's profits.
>
> Lives and livelihoods aren't that important
>
> SCotty
>
> mikeg Wrote:

snip
> --
> scotty72

That's about the strength of it. They are building massive carparks
and charging extortionate monopoly parking fees. Parking must be a
major profit centre for the airport.

Yes, high parking charges is a big money earner for Sydney Airport, Domestic and International.

Donga said:
As to the speed limit, they have put up concrete barriers in the side
lane and the road is still 2-3 lanes wide, so no reall need to slow up
- except if there are cyclists - or slow/stopped cars, but they are
ok, they are part of the legitimate traffic.

donga
And cyclists are also part of the legitimate traffic too! So those that are affected and Bicycle Queensland should be requesting consideration to providing an alternative route, before closing the existing route.

Michael G