Temporary lockup of Campy Record Ergo Shifter

Jim Martin

Guest
Hello All:

Today I had an odd thing happen with my rear Record Ergo shifter: it
would not down shift (go to larger cogs). The lever simply would not
move. I ended up getting it to shift by pulling on the exposed cable
along the downtube with my left hand and shifting with my right. This
was quite a task and I sort-of had to hit the up shift lever first and
then push the lever for the down shift. The two levers seemed to somehow
be interacting. My efforts probably provided entertainment for other
riders.

Later in the ride it worked fine.

Now I would like to take steps to correct this issue. The group is from
the fall of 2000 so I suppose it could be either a 2000 or 2001 model.
Not sure and not sure how to tell. It is 9sp. I have done no maintenance
whatsoever to the shifters in the 7 years I have the bike and it has
always performed perfectly until today.

Anyone want to suggest a few steps to help me figure this thing out?
Lube it? Rebuild it? Send it to Vecchio's?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Today I had an odd thing happen with my rear Record Ergo shifter: it
> would not down shift (go to larger cogs). The lever simply would not
> move. I ended up getting it to shift by pulling on the exposed cable
> along the downtube with my left hand and shifting with my right. This
> was quite a task and I sort-of had to hit the up shift lever first and
> then push the lever for the down shift. The two levers seemed to somehow
> be interacting. My efforts probably provided entertainment for other
> riders.

with ergo, if the thumb lever isn't fully "home", it can lock the
other lever. i'd recommend lubing the pivot of the thumb button. i
have similar problems with my left shifter, because i gunk up the
inside of that pivot at least once a year. fold the hood up over
the button, hit it with some wd-40 to degunk it, work it well and
then oil it and work it again.

just a guess though.

[email protected] wrote:
> My guess is the cable has a broken strand near the end and it's jamming
> things up.

That seems like a really good suggestion but I can not see any frayed
cable.

I have just removed the hood for a better view and nothing is obviously
broken but it is all completely dry. Grease it up?

Thanks,

Jim

H. Guy wrote:
> with ergo, if the thumb lever isn't fully "home", it can lock the
> other lever.

That sounds like what I experienced. Will try some lube.

Thanks,

Jim

On 2007-09-09, Jim Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> H. Guy wrote:
>> with ergo, if the thumb lever isn't fully "home", it can lock the
>> other lever.

> That sounds like what I experienced. Will try some lube.

I've also had the downshift lever temporarily lock like that once or
twice. I think I just changed up and then changed down again and it was
OK after that.

Ben C wrote:
> I've also had the downshift lever temporarily lock like that once or
> twice. I think I just changed up and then changed down again and it was
> OK after that.

Interesting. My lockup was not quite as easy to get rid of as that. Now
that it has started working again I cannot get it to lock up. I suppose
that's good news.

Thanks,

Jim

Ben C wrote:
> On 2007-09-09, Jim Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> H. Guy wrote:
>>> with ergo, if the thumb lever isn't fully "home", it can lock the
>>> other lever.

>> That sounds like what I experienced. Will try some lube.

> I've also had the downshift lever temporarily lock like that once or
> twice. I think I just changed up and then changed down again and it was
> OK after that.

Same here. I doesn't worry me but I like to know what causes it though.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Sep 9, 12:25 pm, Jim Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Today I had an odd thing happen with my rear Record Ergo shifter: it
> would not down shift (go to larger cogs). The lever simply would not
> move. I ended up getting it to shift by pulling on the exposed cable
> along the downtube with my left hand and shifting with my right. This
> was quite a task and I sort-of had to hit the up shift lever first and
> then push the lever for the down shift. The two levers seemed to somehow
> be interacting. My efforts probably provided entertainment for other
> riders.
>
> Later in the ride it worked fine.
>
> Now I would like to take steps to correct this issue. The group is from
> the fall of 2000 so I suppose it could be either a 2000 or 2001 model.
> Not sure and not sure how to tell. It is 9sp. I have done no maintenance
> whatsoever to the shifters in the 7 years I have the bike and it has
> always performed perfectly until today.
>
> Anyone want to suggest a few steps to help me figure this thing out?
> Lube it? Rebuild it? Send it to Vecchio's?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

Undoubtedly it locked up because the thumb button didn't come all the
way up. Could be hood/bar tape fouling it, thumb button return spring
weak/broken, teeny spring in thumb button return not working due to
corrosion..After all that time, a rebuild would probably be a good
idea. Send it to me for a 1 day turnaround.

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> Undoubtedly it locked up because the thumb button didn't come all the
> way up. Could be hood/bar tape fouling it, thumb button return spring
> weak/broken, teeny spring in thumb button return not working due to
> corrosion..After all that time, a rebuild would probably be a good
> idea. Send it to me for a 1 day turnaround.

Thanks! How about if I try to nurse it along till the end of the riding
season here in Salt Lake City. Look for it around Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

Jim

In article <[email protected]>,
Jim Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Today I had an odd thing happen with my rear Record Ergo shifter: it
> would not down shift (go to larger cogs). The lever simply would not
> move. I ended up getting it to shift by pulling on the exposed cable
> along the downtube with my left hand and shifting with my right. This
> was quite a task and I sort-of had to hit the up shift lever first and
> then push the lever for the down shift. The two levers seemed to somehow
> be interacting. My efforts probably provided entertainment for other
> riders.
>
> Later in the ride it worked fine.
>
> Now I would like to take steps to correct this issue. The group is from
> the fall of 2000 so I suppose it could be either a 2000 or 2001 model.
> Not sure and not sure how to tell. It is 9sp. I have done no maintenance
> whatsoever to the shifters in the 7 years I have the bike and it has
> always performed perfectly until today.
>
> Anyone want to suggest a few steps to help me figure this thing out?
> Lube it? Rebuild it? Send it to Vecchio's?

Rinse with copious quantities of a penetrating lubricant.
Not WD40.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]
ews.net>,
"H. Guy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Jim Martin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Today I had an odd thing happen with my rear Record Ergo shifter: it
> > would not down shift (go to larger cogs). The lever simply would not
> > move. I ended up getting it to shift by pulling on the exposed cable
> > along the downtube with my left hand and shifting with my right. This
> > was quite a task and I sort-of had to hit the up shift lever first and
> > then push the lever for the down shift. The two levers seemed to somehow
> > be interacting. My efforts probably provided entertainment for other
> > riders.

> with ergo, if the thumb lever isn't fully "home", it can lock the
> other lever. i'd recommend lubing the pivot of the thumb button. i
> have similar problems with my left shifter, because i gunk up the
> inside of that pivot at least once a year. fold the hood up over
> the button, hit it with some wd-40 to degunk it, work it well and
> then oil it and work it again.
>
> just a guess though.

But not WD40 because that will gunk it up quickly.

--
Michael Press

Jim Martin wrote:
> Today I had an odd thing happen with my rear Record Ergo shifter: it
> would not down shift (go to larger cogs). The lever simply would not
> move. I ended up getting it to shift by pulling on the exposed cable
> along the downtube with my left hand and shifting with my right. This
> was quite a task and I sort-of had to hit the up shift lever first and
> then push the lever for the down shift. The two levers seemed to somehow
> be interacting. My efforts probably provided entertainment for other
> riders.
>
> Later in the ride it worked fine.
>
> Now I would like to take steps to correct this issue. The group is from
> the fall of 2000 so I suppose it could be either a 2000 or 2001 model.
> Not sure and not sure how to tell. It is 9sp. I have done no maintenance
> whatsoever to the shifters in the 7 years I have the bike and it has
> always performed perfectly until today.
>
> Anyone want to suggest a few steps to help me figure this thing out?
> Lube it? Rebuild it? Send it to Vecchio's?

Look for a simple problem with the thumb lever return - corrosion is
likely on the thumb lever pivot/return spring. Try a drop of oil and
work the lever a few times. Thumb lever bent? Lever cover jammed in the
slot? Usually a small external issue.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> Look for a simple problem with the thumb lever return - corrosion is
> likely on the thumb lever pivot/return spring. Try a drop of oil and
> work the lever a few times. Thumb lever bent? Lever cover jammed in the
> slot? Usually a small external issue.

Thanks! I have looked and can't find any obvious problem and now and
cannot get it to lock up again. Have applied lube to all the moving
parts so we'll hope it works till the off season when I can send it off
to Vecchio's.

Cheers,

Jim

[email protected] wrote:
> My guess is the cable has a broken strand near the end and it's jamming
> things up.

That's true, it could be a frayed gear wire but the frayed bits sticking
in one's hand are an early warning!
--

On Sep 9, 4:42 pm, Jim Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
> > Undoubtedly it locked up because the thumb button didn't come all the

> > way up. Could be hood/bar tape fouling it, thumb button return spring
> > weak/broken, teeny spring in thumb button return not working due to
> > corrosion..After all that time, a rebuild would probably be a good
> > idea. Send it to me for a 1 day turnaround.

> Thanks! How about if I try to nurse it along till the end of the riding
> season here in Salt Lake City. Look for it around Thanksgiving.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim

Might try to both trim the hood around the thumb button, make the
'slot' larger, ensure the bar tape isn't around the shift guts and
spray a little lube on the hinge of the thumb button.

A Muzi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> My guess is the cable has a broken strand near the end and it's
>> jamming things up.

> That's true, it could be a frayed gear wire but the frayed bits sticking
> in one's hand are an early warning!

A good point....ow!
Where's all this red stuff on the bar tape coming from?

Marcus

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> Might try to both trim the hood around the thumb button, make the
> 'slot' larger, ensure the bar tape isn't around the shift guts and
> spray a little lube on the hinge of the thumb button.

Thanks! Checked for clearance and lubed yesterday and have been unable
to get the lockup to repeat.

Cheers,

Jim