Tendonitis (Achilles)

SteppenW

Guest
Last week, suddenly, and for no apparent reason, my right Achilles tendon
became rather sore, (but not terribly painful, and there's no swelling). At
the time, it felt like a bruise. More recently, I've noticed a grating
sensation at the tendon as the foot flexes. The symptoms have reduced
appreciably over the past few days, (I've given up cycling for the moment
and taken to the swimming pool).

Has anyone experienced a similar condition? If so, what was the most
effective treatment? What is the long-term prognosis? Was a sports physio
worthwhile?

Neil
Who wasn't so unwell that he couldn't do the Oaks Classic. Much fun.

I had Achilles Tendonitis most of last year. In my late 60's it took about
4-6 months to clear up once I gave in and recognised the problem. I
suspect that my foot position (new toe clips/straps too short - my foot was
too far back on the pedals by about 10 mm) resulted in tendon strain. I
have now fitted clipless pedals and wouldn't be without - comfort, seems to
be more power available (or is it just me building up muscles?) and more to
the point - no tendonitis.

What eventually reduced the problem was regular nightly Iceing, Stretches,
and a tens machine (electric muscle stimulation) in the tendon area while I
watched the TV news. Plus I guess the clipless pedals. Now regular
stretches seem to keep it at bay, but still a bit tender at times - maybe
always will be.

--
Bob Chambers
news:[email protected]...