Tendonitis at Top of Foot

C'dale Girl

May 22, 2007
I've acquired tendonitis on the top of my foot. The cause is unknown as it seems to have come on gradually, over the last month. All recommendations appear to be to back off of the activity that caused it, until it heals, and that continuing the activity can cause further damage.

Since I can't figure out the cause, I don't know what activity(s) to curtail. I do weights with cardio drills in between sets 3 times a week. Those include jumping rope, running, jumping jacks, jumping on and off a step, etc. I try to ride 2 to 3 days a week, only 20 miles at a time atm. I'm just getting back into cycling more regularly so I'm wondering if starting up again created the problem. I can say that the problem really exacerbated this week, after I rode twice this past weekend (for the first time in awhile) and tackled a pretty intense hill the first day.

There is swelling and any of the above activities, including even walking, seem to aggravate it now. However, I rely heavily on working out at least 5 days a week so I really don't want to back off of all exercise if I don't have to. But, I am cognizant of not wanting to make things worse or cause more long term problems.

Has anyone come down with tendonitis in the top of the foot from riding? If so, what was the course of action for treatment? Of all the cardio I do (riding, elliptical, running, cardio drills), it seems to me biking would be the least irritating for the problem. However, I just came back from a 20 mile flat ride and it bothered me during the ride and is more irritated now, so I don't know.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same after weight loss.

I found orthotic wedges in the heels of the shoes and lowering the top lace a couple of holes fixed it, however, it did take some time before I could lace to the top of the shoe again.

The wedges can be bought from any chemist.

I would say that it was one of your cardio drill activities that caused this. If your shoes don't fit you properly for pronation/supination, then it could give rise to inflammation with running/jumping, etc. Have you visited a doctor yet? You might want to do an X-ray to rule out a stress fracture. And look into orthotic inserts or new shoes if shoes are indeed the cause of the problem.