Tendonitis!? I need advice badly

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Tjmaser, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Tjmaser

    Tjmaser Guest

    I had tendonitis in my right hand about a few weeks ago, but
    am in a very intense art school (we draw almost 12 hours a
    day), so I immobilized it and iced it a few times a day but
    continued to work with it. I think it may have worsened and
    have recently switched to my left hand, but I think I may
    have contacted tendonitis in my left also in the previous
    week (I've found what caused it in both my hands, but now
    drawing a lot still aggravates it). Just exactly how severe
    is this? I'm not sure what I should be doing now? I am
    treating them both as usual, but what should I do? I'm
    really worried about both my wrists, should I ask for
    medical leave or something? Should I be considering stopping
    all my classes to let it heal immediately? No one else seems
    to be freaking out about this when I tell them, but it is
    freaking me out because it is progressively getting worse
    (or not healing at all), and I don't know what I should do?
    Please give me some advice. My semester still has 10 weeks
    left to burn. I realize it needs rest to heal, but should I
    just work through the remaing semester, dump my classes, ask
    my teachers for time off? Thank you so much for anyone's
    time or perspective or anything. Sorry just to appear out of
    nowhere and bum rush people for advice, but this has been
    driving me nuts for the past week.

    -TJ

    Tags:

  2. It has been my observation that tendonitis tends to be a
    chronic problem.

    Consider the following quote: "Episodes of tenosynovitis are
    usually self-limiting, resolving over a period of weeks or
    months. The incidence of recurrence, however, is high."

    However, this seeming self-limiting aspect is IMHO as much a
    product of intervention with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
    drugs as anything else. The book says rest will help. The
    problem is worsened with aging as the loss of elasticity in
    tissues is a product of aging which lends to additional
    microtears. One theory says that microtears in the
    connective tissue initiate an inflammatory process. Further,
    calcification frequently occurs in these sites in
    association with inflammation which results in a chronic
    problem. Perhaps you need to change your style of doing
    things or your occupational goals.

    NSAIDs are a rather nasty though quite useful class of
    drugs.

    Not quite sober........ ....William A. Noyes

    news:[email protected]...