Tennis Elbow?

Chas Williams

Guest
Hello, I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through
the neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
forty something, but I definitely need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has anyone
else experienced this kind of difficulty? Thanks for any help, Chas

--
http://www.soundclick.com/chaswilliams

In article <BBA477C6.460E%[email protected]>, Chas Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hello, I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through
>the neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
>forty something, but I definitely need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has anyone
>else experienced this kind of difficulty? Thanks for any help, Chas
>

>--
>http://www.soundclick.com/chaswilliams

I had this 'elbow' pain for about 2 weeks, and I think it's from gripping the handlebars or a change
in the angle of gripping.

At first it only appeared as DOMS in my left arm, in the underside of the tricep. Then the upper
forearm ached a little.

Maybe just use some NSAIDs and ice it down. If the pain is -in- the elbow joint, that might be a
different causation. In my case it wasn't in the joint, and it appeared the next day.

After the two weeks, it stopped happening, and no aches or pains now.

Hey, at least it's not knee pain or ankle pain! ;-)

Sorry, though and hope it clears up for ya.

-B

--

In article <BBA477C6.460E%[email protected]>, Chas Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hello, I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through
>the neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
>forty something, but I definitely need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has anyone
>else experienced this kind of difficulty?

Elbow pain can indicate a fit or riding position problem. That is usually best to explore with an
experienced fitter in person.

I know several people who got relief from elbow pain on the bike by using aero bars for a while
until it healed.

--Paul

Chas Williams wrote:
> Hello, I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through
> the neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
> forty something, but I definitely need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has
> anyone else experienced this kind of difficulty? Thanks for any help, Chas

Change your position around more next time. Is your upper body tense or relaxed?

--
Perre

I had a similar problem when I started riding a road bike. What helped me was raising the bars to be
even with the seat height. Also stretching my forearms by interlocking my fingers and putting my
arms over my head, and feeling the stretch in my forearms.

Mann

"Chas Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BBA477C6.460E%[email protected]...
> Hello, I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through
> the neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
> forty something, but I
definitely
> need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has anyone else experienced this kind of
> difficulty?

Sometimes when I haven't been riding for a long while and I do an hour or two slow ride and forget
to change positions I get sore elbows from keeping them locked. Of course elbows shouldn't be locked
or you lose shock absorption. And we should change hand positions often, that's why road bars have
so many positions. And when you get to pedaling harder there won't be so much weight on your hands,
but the legs won't do so well. ;)

Doug Toronto

"Chas Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BBA477C6.460E%[email protected]...
> Hello, I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through
> the neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
> forty something, but I
definitely
> need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has anyone else experienced this kind of
> difficulty? Thanks for any help,

Congrats on the new bike! Sounds like you were either leaning forward too much (weight on hands more
than butt), or "locking out" your arms. (Or both
:)

Make sure your saddle isn't tilted down (much if at all), and make a conscious effort to keep arms
slightly flexed. Also, move your hands around a lot, stand up a bit more, and bend elbows now and
then to relieve tension.

Bill "48-something roadie for all of two months" S.

Chas Williams wrote:
> I took the first cruise on my new road bike yesterday. I was out for about an hour through the
> neighborhood. Legs did well, however, my elbows were killing me after the trip. Of course, I'm
> forty something, but I definitely need help with ways to keep this from happening again. Has
> anyone else experienced this kind of difficulty?

Are you riding with your arms straight? If so, that's probably your problem. You should always have
at least a little bend in the elbows so that shock from the bars is absorbed by your muscles and not
your joints.

If that's not it, you probably have some other bad position. Elbows don't like to bend sideways very
much (which is what causes the problem in tennis). Think about making sure the shock from the bars
results in a normal bend direction in the elbow.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

Support the Electronic Frontier Foundation http://www.eff.org Petition Congress to stop the RIAA
lawsuits http://www.eff.org/share/petition/