Tennis elbow

elyob

Guest
A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my left
elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been over
active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the other
day.

Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very much
there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft bump about
an inch long on the outside of the elbow.

A quick google about, and there is a high likeliness that it is slight
tennis elbow. I need to get back training as am doing the Etape on July 1st.
Any personal experience on what to do? I'm not in much pain, but don't want
to make it any worse. I'm thinking that I might use my local gym for a few
days to keep my legs in shape, avoid the horrid weather and keep my elbow
without stress.

Thanks

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my left
>elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been over
>active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the other
>day.
>
> Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
> only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
> elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
> anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very much
> there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft bump
> about an inch long on the outside of the elbow.
>
> A quick google about, and there is a high likeliness that it is slight
> tennis elbow. I need to get back training as am doing the Etape on July
> 1st. Any personal experience on what to do? I'm not in much pain, but
> don't want to make it any worse. I'm thinking that I might use my local
> gym for a few days to keep my legs in shape, avoid the horrid weather and
> keep my elbow without stress.

The nurse at my doctors' surgery said if it's a 'soft tissue' problem then
there's not a lot they can do about it - just go easy on it, take some
nurofen if it's hurting a lot and put some heat on it to ease it.

An exercise bike at the gym might be a good idea because you can ride it a
lot easier without using your hands.
I joined the local gym in February to avoid the bad weather but didn't go
that much because the weather was reasonable. Now my membership has expired
the weather's turned nasty!

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

elyob wrote:
> A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my left
> elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been over
> active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the other
> day.
>
> Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
> only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
> elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
> anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very much
> there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft bump about
> an inch long on the outside of the elbow.
>
> A quick google about, and there is a high likeliness that it is slight
> tennis elbow. I need to get back training as am doing the Etape on July 1st.
> Any personal experience on what to do? I'm not in much pain, but don't want
> to make it any worse. I'm thinking that I might use my local gym for a few
> days to keep my legs in shape, avoid the horrid weather and keep my elbow
> without stress.
>
> Thanks

Is your elbow warm? I had something a bit like that a few months ago.
Google dignosed it as bursitis and the doctor gave me some antibiotics
and it went away.

I don't think it was related to cycling.

Problem sounds more like olecranon bursitis than tennis elbow to me.

Happens more on the side supporting weight, than writing.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my left
>elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been over
>active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the other
>day.
>
> Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
> only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
> elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
> anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very much
> there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft bump
> about an inch long on the outside of the elbow.
>
> A quick google about, and there is a high likeliness that it is slight
> tennis elbow. I need to get back training as am doing the Etape on July
> 1st. Any personal experience on what to do? I'm not in much pain, but
> don't want to make it any worse. I'm thinking that I might use my local
> gym for a few days to keep my legs in shape, avoid the horrid weather and
> keep my elbow without stress.
>
> Thanks

Fer chrissakes! See a Dr!!
Graham

"graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my left
>>elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been over
>>active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the other
>>day.
>>
>> Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
>> only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
>> elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
>> anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very much
>> there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft bump
>> about an inch long on the outside of the elbow.
>>
>> A quick google about, and there is a high likeliness that it is slight
>> tennis elbow. I need to get back training as am doing the Etape on July
>> 1st. Any personal experience on what to do? I'm not in much pain, but
>> don't want to make it any worse. I'm thinking that I might use my local
>> gym for a few days to keep my legs in shape, avoid the horrid weather and
>> keep my elbow without stress.
>>
>> Thanks

> Fer chrissakes! See a Dr!!
> Graham

Bank holiday ... I'm planning on going Wednesday as am busy tomorrow. Just
back from the gym, an hour on an exercise bike and I was totally soaked
through. Lack of wind quite noticeable. Thing is, I cycled to the gym as
it's only 10 minutes away, my hands were freezing by the time I got there.
Quite glad not to be out there today.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my
>>>left elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been
>>>over active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the
>>>other day.
>>>
>>> Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
>>> only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
>>> elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
>>> anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very
>>> much there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft
>>> bump about an inch long on the outside of the elbow.
>>>
>>> A quick google about, and there is a high likeliness that it is slight
>>> tennis elbow. I need to get back training as am doing the Etape on July
>>> 1st. Any personal experience on what to do? I'm not in much pain, but
>>> don't want to make it any worse. I'm thinking that I might use my local
>>> gym for a few days to keep my legs in shape, avoid the horrid weather
>>> and keep my elbow without stress.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Fer chrissakes! See a Dr!!
>> Graham

> Bank holiday ... I'm planning on going Wednesday as am busy tomorrow. Just
> back from the gym, an hour on an exercise bike and I was totally soaked
> through. Lack of wind quite noticeable. Thing is, I cycled to the gym as
> it's only 10 minutes away, my hands were freezing by the time I got there.
> Quite glad not to be out there today.

I have golfer's elbow (from shovelling snow not from ruining a good walk)
it's the opposite side to tennis elbow, and it's taking an age to repair. I
take ibuprofen/advil to reduce the inflammation and wear a brace. Just when
I thought it was OK, I took the bike out for a short ride and the vibration
made it flare up again. It's no bloody joke! There are exercises that help
such as wrist curls or squeezing a rubber ball.
However, it might not be TE so don't do anything drastic until you see the
dr.
Graham

graham wrote:

> I have golfer's elbow (from shovelling snow not from ruining a good walk)
> it's the opposite side to tennis elbow, and it's taking an age to repair. I
> take ibuprofen/advil to reduce the inflammation and wear a brace. Just when
> I thought it was OK, I took the bike out for a short ride and the vibration
> made it flare up again.

You might try a bike where you don't lean on your arms: either a sit up
really straight job or a recumbent).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bank holiday ... I'm planning on going Wednesday as am busy tomorrow. Just
> back from the gym, an hour on an exercise bike and I was totally soaked
> through. Lack of wind quite noticeable. Thing is, I cycled to the gym as
> it's only 10 minutes away, my hands were freezing by the time I got there.
> Quite glad not to be out there today.

It had stopped raining when I had to go the shop this morning, but I didn't
realise just how bitterly cold it was. After the 3 mile trip there wasn't
much feeling left in my hands!

It's been a lot better though this afternoon, still damp with some rain but
a bit warmer.
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

In article <[email protected]>, elyob
[email protected] says...
> A few days ago I noticed a sharp pain, like glass, when I leant on my left
> elbow at my desk. I couldn't remember banging it and I haven't been over
> active. Well, I have picked up my cycling and I did play tennis the other
> day.
>
> Thing is, I'm right handed, so my left hardly gets used in tennis. I can
> only think that honking up a few hills on the road bike has strained my
> elbow slightly? I've been resting the last couple of days and took an
> anti-inflammatory an hour ago. It feels a bit better, but still very much
> there. The tendon seems to have swollen slightly as I have a soft bump about
> an inch long on the outside of the elbow.

If the bump is quite well defined then it's quite likely to be bursitis
caused by a minor knock. If it's only painful when prodded, rather than
when flexing or extending your arm, then I wouldn't worry too much about
it. I had one on my wrist for a while, GP said leave it unless it
bothers you, one day I prodded it hard and it popped, a few days of
pressing on it and it went away forever - they're a bit like blisters
really, but on the tendon sheath rather than skin.

> graham wrote:
>
>> I have golfer's elbow (from shovelling snow not from ruining a good walk)
>> it's the opposite side to tennis elbow, and it's taking an age to repair.
>> I take ibuprofen/advil to reduce the inflammation and wear a brace. Just
>> when I thought it was OK, I took the bike out for a short ride and the
>> vibration made it flare up again.

> You might try a bike where you don't lean on your arms: either a sit up
> really straight job or a recumbent).

Thanks! It was an upright, with fat tires. Strangely, I think I tend to
hold my arms more rigidly than with drops. Also, with the latter, I change
position frequently. WRT recumbents; I've never fancied trying one - except
perhaps when there's been a nasty headwind.

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Fer chrissakes! See a Dr!!
>>> Graham

>> Bank holiday ... I'm planning on going Wednesday as am busy tomorrow.
>> Just back from the gym, an hour on an exercise bike and I was totally
>> soaked through. Lack of wind quite noticeable. Thing is, I cycled to the
>> gym as it's only 10 minutes away, my hands were freezing by the time I
>> got there. Quite glad not to be out there today.
>>

> I have golfer's elbow (from shovelling snow not from ruining a good walk)
> it's the opposite side to tennis elbow, and it's taking an age to repair.
> I take ibuprofen/advil to reduce the inflammation and wear a brace. Just
> when I thought it was OK, I took the bike out for a short ride and the
> vibration made it flare up again. It's no bloody joke! There are
> exercises that help such as wrist curls or squeezing a rubber ball.
> However, it might not be TE so don't do anything drastic until you see the
> dr.
> Graham

Hmm, well not sure of the diagnosis, she's prescribed me some steroid
ointment. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

> Hmm, well not sure of the diagnosis, she's prescribed me some steroid
> ointment. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Let us know how it goes!
Graham