Tennis Elbow?



Yonni

New Member
May 1, 2010
140
0
0
I've recently upped my training volume including gym work and I've developed a pain in the outside of my elbow. I've had a very physical week at work which has made it worse as well as adding tough hill reps to my weekly schedule. Anybody else suffered this and any advice?
 

Icklehutch

New Member
Feb 19, 2008
21
0
0
Yonni said:
I've recently upped my training volume including gym work and I've developed a pain in the outside of my elbow. I've had a very physical week at work which has made it worse as well as adding tough hill reps to my weekly schedule. Anybody else suffered this and any advice?

Get to the doctors.
I had this in my left arm and ingored the pain initially thinking it would go away. Big mistake.
I ended up needing surgery and also ended up with golfers elbow on the other arm due to overuse whilst avoiding using the left arm.
2 lots of surgery later i'm almost back to normal.

Seek professional help before it gets too bad to treat. Anti inflamatories do little and cortsone sometimes only temporary relief
 

KStony

New Member
May 15, 2010
11
0
0
Yonni said:
I've recently upped my training volume including gym work and I've developed a pain in the outside of my elbow. I've had a very physical week at work which has made it worse as well as adding tough hill reps to my weekly schedule. Anybody else suffered this and any advice?

Yeah I usually get checked up for things just in case. Sometimes it'll cost some money, but you can sleep without worrying about it every night.
Better safe than sorry.
 

Yonni

New Member
May 1, 2010
140
0
0
I'm definitely going to the doc. This morning I could hardly hold my son. I think I must have tweaked something when putting up and taking down some staging last week. Since then its got worse to the point where carrying a cup of coffee is sore. Anything that involves grasping something tightly, like opening a jar or doing up the popers on my son's romper suit, is sore as well. The trouble is that the National Health Service is quite slow to get you refered to a specialist for this sort of thing and we don't have private healthcare insurance.
 

decca234uk

New Member
Jan 18, 2010
130
2
0
I had this abiut 18 months ago. It got so painful I went to the doctors. He diagnosed tennis elbow and told me to keep moving the elbow and work through the pain. Keeping it mobile was the only way to cure it. If there was no improvement after two months he told me to call back and he may have to inject the elbow.
it was painful but I did what he said and it gradually got better. it took months but it repaired itself.
 

Yonni

New Member
May 1, 2010
140
0
0
decca234uk said:
He diagnosed tennis elbow and told me to keep moving the elbow and work through the pain. Keeping it mobile was the only way to cure it. If there was no improvement after two months he told me to call back and he may have to inject the elbow.
I've been wearing a support over the weekend and not using my left arm for heavy stuff like picking up my son or cradling him in that elbow while feeding and it is already marginally better. I stayed off the bike just in case. Cortisone injections would be a last resort for me but hopefully it will sort itself out by then. I have had the odd bought of tendonitis in the knee and ankle over the years and they've healed on their own with a bit of support and resting. Fingers crossed. Ironically, I never got it when I used to play tennis 6-8 hours a week!
 

Yonni

New Member
May 1, 2010
140
0
0
Icklehutch said:
Get to the doctors.
I had this in my left arm and ingored the pain initially thinking it would go away. Big mistake.
I ended up needing surgery and also ended up with golfers elbow on the other arm due to overuse whilst avoiding using the left arm.
2 lots of surgery later i'm almost back to normal.

Seek professional help before it gets too bad to treat. Anti inflamatories do little and cortsone sometimes only temporary relief

Was it diagnosed as Tennis Elbow? What did the surgeon actually do? I didn't know that Tennis Elbow could be operated on as I thought it was a form of tendonitis.

UPDATE:

The pain has changed over the last week from a sharper to a duller pain right on the outside of the small bone on te outside of the elbow joint. Before it radiated down my forearm but now there is a kind of muscle ache (not very painful really but I'm aware of it) in the triceps on the back of my upper arm. Istarted the week with a very gentle recovery ride, no problem, the a rest then some hill reps. Still no pain during riding.
 

Yonni

New Member
May 1, 2010
140
0
0
Bit of a Google later and I found this:

Tennis Elbow Surgery

6 months before surgery is considered and then a 12 week lay off! Does this fit in with your experience Icklehutch?
 

clausbelly

New Member
Jun 1, 2010
4
0
0
[lang=bg]If you have had a history of tennis elbow, the best preventative methods include playing with a relatively flexible racquet that is the heaviest that you can easily swing. Tennis elbow is usually considered to be a kind of tendinitis, so why isn't Ruta indicated here. ts, did your doctor say anything about tendinitis.[/lang]
 

Yonni

New Member
May 1, 2010
140
0
0
I don't understand what you are trying to say. I don't play tennis anymore and have no history of tennis elbow. Never had it or anything like it before. And what is Ruta?
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,605
337
83
I have had tendonitis before from repetitive motion. I wore a brace which helped for a while but I eventaully cure it by strengthening the opposing muscle and connective tissue.
In my case doing bicep curls did the trick.