Tensioning Spokes

Brothrmark

Aug 6, 2005
i received a set of korso wheels for christmas, and have read several discussions re: spoke tension. one of the reasons mentioned that folks chose neuvation wheels was the "hand-tensioned" or "properly tensioned" spokes.

i'm not a really big guy [though i was before returning to cycling in '04] i'm about 180 right now. my concern is popping a spoke far, far from home. is there a way i can correctly tension the spokes myself? aside from the musical note system what's the best way? i like my LBS but am a bit reluctant to ask them to adjust aftermarket stuff i didn't buy from them.

thanks,
[brother]mark

Brothrmark said:
i received a set of korso wheels for christmas, and have read several discussions re: spoke tension. one of the reasons mentioned that folks chose neuvation wheels was the "hand-tensioned" or "properly tensioned" spokes.

i'm not a really big guy [though i was before returning to cycling in '04] i'm about 180 right now. my concern is popping a spoke far, far from home. is there a way i can correctly tension the spokes myself? aside from the musical note system what's the best way? i like my LBS but am a bit reluctant to ask them to adjust aftermarket stuff i didn't buy from them.

thanks,
[brother]mark
Get the manufacturer's specified tensions.
Get a calibrated spoke tension guage, spoke wrench, truing stand, centering guide, and check/adjust the tension.