Tent/bivvy bag groundsheet/footprint material?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jim Ford, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    Hi.

    I've always used a piece of polyethelene sheeting that a mattress came in,
    to protect my bivvy bag and lightweight tent, but am looking for something a
    bit better. What do others use? I've seen Tyvek mentioned somewhere (it's
    the material disposable protective suits are made of) - does
    anyone have experience with this material? Assuming Tyvek is a good choice,
    where can it be obtained?

    Regards: Jim Ford

    Tags:

  2. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On 4 Aug 2004 20:21:24 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    Hi there,

    >I've always used a piece of polyethelene sheeting that a mattress came in,
    >to protect my bivvy bag and lightweight tent, but am looking for something a
    >bit better. What do others use? I've seen Tyvek mentioned somewhere (it's
    >the material disposable protective suits are made of) - does
    >anyone have experience with this material?

    I've no experience with this, but after reading your post last night I
    saw reference to a homemade Tyvek groundsheet in a drooly Akto review
    at the following URL, so it sounds as though it is the stuff you're
    looking for.

    http://tinyurl.com/4pg3o

    There's a page about it at the URL below. Apparently it's made by
    DuPont.

    http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/Tyvek.htm

    >Assuming Tyvek is a good choice,
    >where can it be obtained?

    Hmm.... I've not found that bit yet.

    Best wishes,
    --
    Peewiglet

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 4 Aug 2004 20:21:24 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >Hi there,
    >
    >>I've always used a piece of polyethelene sheeting that a mattress came in,
    >>to protect my bivvy bag and lightweight tent, but am looking for something a
    >>bit better. What do others use? I've seen Tyvek mentioned somewhere (it's
    >>the material disposable protective suits are made of) - does
    >>anyone have experience with this material?

    >I've no experience with this, but after reading your post last night I
    >saw reference to a homemade Tyvek groundsheet in a drooly Akto review
    >at the following URL, so it sounds as though it is the stuff you're
    >looking for.
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/4pg3o
    >
    >There's a page about it at the URL below. Apparently it's made by
    >DuPont.
    >
    >http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/Tyvek.htm
    >
    >>Assuming Tyvek is a good choice,
    >>where can it be obtained?

    >Hmm.... I've not found that bit yet.

    Seems the preservation / building trade is the place to look. You might
    need to find some buddies to share the cost with though!

    http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/sundries/sundries52.html
    http://store.preservationequipment.co.uk/store/show-product.cfm?p=280
    http://www.essexinsulation.co.uk/productpages/pages_10.html

    --

    Dominic Sexton
    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  4. Dominic Sexton wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >> On 4 Aug 2004 20:21:24 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > Seems the preservation / building trade is the place to look. You
    > might need to find some buddies to share the cost with though!
    >
    > http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/sundries/sundries52.html
    > http://store.preservationequipment.co.uk/store/show-product.cfm?p=280
    > http://www.essexinsulation.co.uk/productpages/pages_10.html

    Or Argos again :)

    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=100066

    Car cover made of Tyvek £39.99

    or a heavy duty one for £34.99, doesn't say it is Tyvek though but it is
    breathable.

    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=101350

    HTH.

    --

    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

    Sandy
    --

    E-Mail:- [email protected]
    Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

  5. On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:22:15 +0100, Dominic Sexton wrote:

    > Seems the preservation / building trade is the place to look. You might
    > need to find some buddies to share the cost with though!

    or look out for building sites/buildings being reroofed and ask for an
    offcut. It does have tyvek printed all over it so you can recognise it.