Tequila+Coker= bent cranks

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Krashin'Kenny, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. Yesterday I managed to mangle one of the cranks on my Coker. It all
    started with too many Margaritas Friday night and then sticking with my
    plans to go Cokering (with a hangover) Saturday morning. I met with Matt
    & Joe for our bi-monthly 9 a.m. ride and knew when I first mounted the
    Coker that it was going to be an interesting ride. I managed to go about
    50 feet before my first UPD. I remounted and rode another 1.4 miles
    before the Coker shot out from under me while making a turn and smashed
    into a curb, bending the left crank so badly that it wouldn't even clear
    the frame:( I had 2 choices, give up and carry the Coker back to the
    car or find something to bend the crank back into a rideable shape. I
    found a short piece of metal rebar and wedged it between the crank and
    frame and managed to bend the crank enough to clear the frame. By this
    time, I had sweated out enough alcohol that I felt ready to continue the
    ride. We proceeded along the Mission Trails and I managed only one more
    UPD before the turn-around point. This time me and the Coker both came
    out without a scratch. On the return trip, I finally started to feel
    near-human again and only UPD'd once as I tried to negotiate my way
    around a barrier on a wooden bridge. All in all, the ride actually ended
    up being my most successful Coker ride with only 3 UPD's in hust under
    13 miles.

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  2. gpickett00

    gpickett00 Guest

  3. gpickett00 wrote:
    > *haha thats a pretty funny story, that sucks about the crank. Ive
    > never tried to ride a unicycle while i was actually drunk. seems
    > dangerous. *

    I was just hungover (drunk the night before)
    The crank's not a problem, I have an extra pair :)

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  4. mango

    mango Guest

    Thats a funny story! I also uni at a Mission Trails here in San Diego. I
    also kite surf in Mission Bay AND at Mission Beach. I guess im on a
    mission? :)

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    "I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
    -andrew_carter

    (sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  5. mkuhfahl

    mkuhfahl Guest

    mango wrote:
    > * I also kite surf in Mission Bay AND at Mission Beach. I guess im on
    > a mission? :) *

    Cool... I was thinking about kite surfing some this summer... now I know
    who to go with questions :)

    --
    mkuhfahl - Unicyclist
    mkuhfahl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4253

  6. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

    Drunken unicycling is not so bad as long as you arent fully hammered.
    where you run into problems is when you snap one of your cranks in half
    while drunk... instantly kills the buzz.

    --
    TheBadger587 - Level 4

    Well i Guess not the retarded ones... but how could you even say
    something like that? jeez cleveland, there's edgy and then theres
    offensive. Good day sir!
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  7. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    Krashin'Kenny wrote:
    > *I was just hungover (drunk the night before)
    > *

    KENNY - you are HOW OLD and you STILL haven't figured out how to avoid
    hangovers?

    Before you go to bed drink as much water as you can manage. Then, when
    you get up to use the bathroom (as you WILL), drink as much water as you
    can manage. In the morning you will feel MUCH better.

    I know this method has some flaws (it doesn't work if you drink till you
    pass out) but I've never been hungover that I've noticed ;)

    Glad you didn't hurt yourself and that you can still ride the coker. I
    reckon I need to get REALLY plastered and then try to ride unsupported
    on mine. Then I won't care if I fall off :D

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  8. Jayne I do know better, but it was just one of those things.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have any hangover helper (Dramamine-motion
    sickness pills) handy, so I had to tough it out. At my age (51) the
    hangovers hurt alot more than they used to :D :D

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Un-bending a crank while it's on the unicycle carries some risk. It's
    understandable that you want to continue the ride, but when you unbend
    the crank while it's attached, you can put a lot of stress on the axle.
    Too much, and the axle breaks (while the crank remains bent). You were
    wise to only unbend it enough to continue riding. Glad it worked out!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
    taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
    from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
    whole van!

  10. digigal1

    digigal1 Guest

  11. Jayne ZA

    Jayne ZA Guest

    digigal1 wrote:
    > *Jayne, you party animal! My kinda girl!! *

    That's me - old enough to know better, young enough not to care!

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  12. Logan_A.

    Logan_A. Guest

    riding drunk isn' too tough, as long as your a competant rider. It's
    preddy fun too. I haven't tried any trilas or street but just cruisin
    around is a blast.

    Logan AUUUUUUUU

    --
    Logan_A. - Trials und Street rider

    Zoink!!!
    Logan_A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4088

  13. Rayden

    Rayden Guest

  14. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:51:00 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

    >Un-bending a crank while it's on the unicycle carries some risk.

    Apart from the hub issue, I'd also be worried about the frame that
    Kenny used for reaction force.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

  15. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Rayden wrote:
    > *I don't plan on getting drunk, but I think it would be fun to try
    > riding drunk. :) *

    Trust me, it is. I think the highest hop on my new MUni has been when I
    was drunk. Yup, cleared the keg (sideways) that got me into the stooper
    on the second and third try. After that, I learned how much fun drunk
    keg rolling can be.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
    on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

  16. Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:51:00 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:
    >
    > >Un-bending a crank while it's on the unicycle carries some risk.

    > Apart from the hub issue, I'd also be worried about the frame that
    > Kenny used for reaction force.
    >
    > Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    > --
    > Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the
    > English weight system
    >
    > *

    I was very careful as to my leverage points. The worst results were
    scratched "Big One" stickers

    --

  17. Jayne ZA wrote:

    > KENNY - you are HOW OLD and you STILL haven't figured out how to avoid
    > hangovers?
    >
    > Before you go to bed drink as much water as you can manage. ...I know
    > this method has some flaws ....

    Uurgh! Jane you obviously do not know what it is to have a prostate :D

    --
    wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  18. Here's a pic of Joe, myself and Matt after that ride

    | Attachment filename: joe-kenny-matt.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203656|

    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  19. This is me and Matt on the Mission Trail alongside the San Antonio River

    | Attachment filename: matt & kenny.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203657|