Tequila+Coker= bent cranks

Krashin'Kenny

Guest
Yesterday I managed to mangle one of the cranks on my Coker. It all
started with too many Margaritas Friday night and then sticking with my
plans to go Cokering (with a hangover) Saturday morning. I met with Matt
& Joe for our bi-monthly 9 a.m. ride and knew when I first mounted the
Coker that it was going to be an interesting ride. I managed to go about
50 feet before my first UPD. I remounted and rode another 1.4 miles
before the Coker shot out from under me while making a turn and smashed
into a curb, bending the left crank so badly that it wouldn't even clear
the frame:( I had 2 choices, give up and carry the Coker back to the
car or find something to bend the crank back into a rideable shape. I
found a short piece of metal rebar and wedged it between the crank and
frame and managed to bend the crank enough to clear the frame. By this
time, I had sweated out enough alcohol that I felt ready to continue the
ride. We proceeded along the Mission Trails and I managed only one more
UPD before the turn-around point. This time me and the Coker both came
out without a scratch. On the return trip, I finally started to feel
near-human again and only UPD'd once as I tried to negotiate my way
around a barrier on a wooden bridge. All in all, the ride actually ended
up being my most successful Coker ride with only 3 UPD's in hust under
13 miles.

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

gpickett00 wrote:
> *haha thats a pretty funny story, that sucks about the crank. Ive
> never tried to ride a unicycle while i was actually drunk. seems
> dangerous. *

I was just hungover (drunk the night before)
The crank's not a problem, I have an extra pair :)

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Thats a funny story! I also uni at a Mission Trails here in San Diego. I
also kite surf in Mission Bay AND at Mission Beach. I guess im on a
mission? :)

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

"I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
-andrew_carter

(sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Drunken unicycling is not so bad as long as you arent fully hammered.
where you run into problems is when you snap one of your cranks in half
while drunk... instantly kills the buzz.

--
TheBadger587 - Level 4

Well i Guess not the retarded ones... but how could you even say
something like that? jeez cleveland, there's edgy and then theres
offensive. Good day sir!
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
> *I was just hungover (drunk the night before)
> *

KENNY - you are HOW OLD and you STILL haven't figured out how to avoid
hangovers?

Before you go to bed drink as much water as you can manage. Then, when
you get up to use the bathroom (as you WILL), drink as much water as you
can manage. In the morning you will feel MUCH better.

I know this method has some flaws (it doesn't work if you drink till you
pass out) but I've never been hungover that I've noticed ;)

Glad you didn't hurt yourself and that you can still ride the coker. I
reckon I need to get REALLY plastered and then try to ride unsupported
on mine. Then I won't care if I fall off :D

Jayne

--
Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

Jayne I do know better, but it was just one of those things.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any hangover helper (Dramamine-motion
sickness pills) handy, so I had to tough it out. At my age (51) the
hangovers hurt alot more than they used to :D :D

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Un-bending a crank while it's on the unicycle carries some risk. It's
understandable that you want to continue the ride, but when you unbend
the crank while it's attached, you can put a lot of stress on the axle.
Too much, and the axle breaks (while the crank remains bent). You were
wise to only unbend it enough to continue riding. Glad it worked out!

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:51:00 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

>Un-bending a crank while it's on the unicycle carries some risk.

Apart from the hub issue, I'd also be worried about the frame that
Kenny used for reaction force.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

Rayden wrote:
> *I don't plan on getting drunk, but I think it would be fun to try
> riding drunk. :) *

Trust me, it is. I think the highest hop on my new MUni has been when I
was drunk. Yup, cleared the keg (sideways) that got me into the stooper
on the second and third try. After that, I learned how much fun drunk
keg rolling can be.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Klaas Bil wrote:
> *On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:51:00 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:
>
> >Un-bending a crank while it's on the unicycle carries some risk.

> Apart from the hub issue, I'd also be worried about the frame that
> Kenny used for reaction force.
>
> Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
> --
> Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the
> English weight system
>
> *

I was very careful as to my leverage points. The worst results were
scratched "Big One" stickers

--

Jayne ZA wrote:

> KENNY - you are HOW OLD and you STILL haven't figured out how to avoid
> hangovers?
>
> Before you go to bed drink as much water as you can manage. ...I know
> this method has some flaws ....

Uurgh! Jane you obviously do not know what it is to have a prostate :D

--
wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

Here's a pic of Joe, myself and Matt after that ride

| Attachment filename: joe-kenny-matt.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203656|

Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

This is me and Matt on the Mission Trail alongside the San Antonio River

| Attachment filename: matt & kenny.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/203657|