Terminology Explanation

pug_ant

Jun 15, 2005
Hi,

I'm fairly new around the cycling arena and had a few questions I was hoping I could get a hand with understanding. I'm looking at getting my first road bike after riding mtb for most of my life, I recently had my Mtb stolen so thought now was a good time to take the plunge. The thing is I don't understand a lot of the terminology that a lot of the bike stores bombard me with and so not sure when I'm talking to someone knowledgable and when I'm getting a pile of it. I'm looking to commute (15K one way) and ride about 200-250Km's a week. The budget is around $2000 but this needs to include everything as all my old stuff got stolen with my bike.

So, my questions are, groupsets, is the shimano sora stuff any good? is tiagra? what's the lowest groupset an entry level roadie should look before it seriously starts to compromise performance?

Frames, whats the difference between aluminium XXXX series? I've heard 7000, 6200 and a few others I believe, what should I look for there. Also, what's the difference between a standard geometry and compact? what's the effect on the rider?

Custom made frames, I've found a guy who just raves about custom frames made to measure and wants to sell me a custom made frame, 6200 series aluminium with full 105 groupset for 2275, brand name of europa. Anyone heard of them? does this sound like a good deal? Will the advantages of a custom frame be worth blowing out the budget?

And finally, I know this has been touched on in other posts, is the learsport bike any good? If it is why are they so cheap? and can anyone recommend a place, preferably in the eastern suburbs, who if I got a learsport bike could build and fit it to me? I'm assuming this would be a bit beyond me until I got a bit more knowledge.

Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Ant

pug_ant said:
Hi,

So, my questions are, groupsets, is the shimano sora stuff any good? is tiagra? what's the lowest groupset an entry level roadie should look before it seriously starts to compromise performance?

Groupsets usually refer to rear mech, front mech, chainset, bottom bracket, cassette, chain.
A groupset includes all of the above.
I won't venture an opinion about whether Shimano or Campagnolo and which is better.
You're better off buying a groupset that is mid-price range, I would suggest.

pug_ant said:
Hi,

Frames, whats the difference between aluminium XXXX series? I've heard 7000, 6200 and a few others I believe, what should I look for there. Also, what's the difference between a standard geometry and compact? what's the effect on the rider?

Custom made frames, I've found a guy who just raves about custom frames made to measure and wants to sell me a custom made frame, 6200 series aluminium with full 105 groupset for 2275, brand name of europa. Anyone heard of them? does this sound like a good deal? Will the advantages of a custom frame be worth blowing out the budget?

And finally, I know this has been touched on in other posts, is the learsport bike any good? If it is why are they so cheap? and can anyone recommend a place, preferably in the eastern suburbs, who if I got a learsport bike could build and fit it to me? I'm assuming this would be a bit beyond me until I got a bit more knowledge.

Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Ant

I would always got for an aluminium frame.
Geometry ? I prefer the standard rather than compact (I bought a compact bike once and found that my body was just not suited to riding a compact framed bike).

The advantage to a custom built frame is that it will be built to your specifications.
But before going down this raod, I would make enquiries as to the frame markers work (check references, check with your local bike club).
Persoanlly, I have only ever used (and raced) standard replica framed bike.

i can't offer and opinion on Learspeed
I've never cycled one.

pug_ant said:
Hi,

I'm fairly new around the cycling arena and had a few questions I was hoping I could get a hand with understanding. I'm looking at getting my first road bike after riding mtb for most of my life, I recently had my Mtb stolen so thought now was a good time to take the plunge. The thing is I don't understand a lot of the terminology that a lot of the bike stores bombard me with and so not sure when I'm talking to someone knowledgable and when I'm getting a pile of it. I'm looking to commute (15K one way) and ride about 200-250Km's a week. The budget is around $2000 but this needs to include everything as all my old stuff got stolen with my bike.
Add a solid cable and lock to your list :mad:, have know a bike to vannish within a minute, wrong place right time.
Shimano's 105 groupset, the best value "serious" road-bike groupset available; then there is Campy gear which looks fine but I have not used- yet :) some of the prices are tempting though. The 9 speed ultegra seems to be on sale at a discount and may be worth keeping in mind, a mate upgraded to the 10 speed and regrets it due to current cost of consumables Vs benefits ( chains , cassettes ) Dont get any 8 speed Sora, only consider 9 or 10 speed group the others are on the way out so parts will be an issue sooner rather than later. Do consider having a tripple chainring or you may be walking a few hills, and this allows a closer geared cassette to be fitted for a smoother ride.
I agree with Limerickman on the aluminium frames ( are good ) something double or tripple butted to keep the weight down.
Check out http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/index.php to read some articles and manny other sites on the web, the local library is a great resource for magazines on bikes more than the books which are always 12 months out of date, changes in groupos occur rapidly.
Most people going to road bikes from mtb take time to get used to riding in a more aero position and ideal setup may change slightly so the extra expense of a custom frame may be best for your second road bike 2c. Unless you are an unusual shape/ size would expect one of the std sizes would suit and save $$. Dont be in a rush to buy or you may well regret it at your leasure even consider getting a near new bike from ebay, Trading Post, manny get bought and rarely used or turn out to be the wrong size, common mistake.
Do get clipless pedals and matching shoes approx $120- 150 for ok basic.
And finally, I know this has been touched on in other posts, is the learsport bike any good?
I notice Dean Woods direct sells them and doubt he would associate with them if they where not sound, did notice some new ones on sale on ebay a couple of weeks ago, you could do a search to check sale prices. Only $1400 new with 105 group, a keen price for sure.
http://www.learsport.com.au/view_product.php?product=Lear8000
If it is why are they so cheap? and can anyone recommend a place, preferably in the eastern suburbs,( what state? ) who if I got a learsport bike could build and fit it to me? I'm assuming this would be a bit beyond me until I got a bit more knowledge.
Check out the Learsport link, above.
Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Ant
Good luck and enjoy your new bike, its a great time to buy.

limerickman said:
The advantage to a custom built frame is that it will be built to your specifications.
But before going down this raod, I would make enquiries as to the frame markers work (check references, check with your local bike club).
QUOTE]

absolutely, and this is a common one......often custum frames from differrent Bike Fit or LBS's are made by the same guy, but handle totally differently for the same effective size, as the variables on frames are many and subtle differences affect performance seriously.....if I was in your position, (and I was once and did it all wrong), I would now go to several bike fit people and get a measure, and talk about what type of cycling you aspire to...then take their measures ( not just lengths and dimensions but also angle of seat tube and head tube and especially length of chainstay, and discuss this with someone you trust not to bamboozle you with their sales pitch.....

then when you understand just what the differences are and WHY, and how they will relate to delivering what you want for a bike and your riding, decide which one you want and go for it...if could be that an "off the rack" bike may suit you perfectly, maybe not....many people claim they are very happy with a standard production bike, many also feel they dont suit them ( due to physiology for one) and get a custom frame made....Customs are NOT necessarily expensive, eg: a Columbus Zonal lighweight aluminium ranges from $1100 to $1400 including carbon fork, depending on the shop, maker and size.., now that plus the fit, may not fit into your 2K budget as you need wheels, and groupset, pedals and stem and drop bars to suit your fit !, so I think $2800-3200 all up including an entry Campag 10 speed (mirage, veloce), or ShimaNO 105s ( could be wrong on that but never know the shop may be happy to "deal")...

fit first, then decide frame material, and performance needed to select correct geometry, then deal with LBS on final components, then "come riding" and enjoy the buzz!

Oh and you'll need some shoes....and cleats, recommend SIDI first up, as you'll probably end up there anyway, but there are heaps of adequate entry level road shoes from $100-200....unless you have wide feet, you shouldnt have a hassle there!

good luck...

sorry I didnt talk about the component nomenclature, some one else will, I think, fit and frame dimensions then material are the priority, the components will chop and change later anyway as they wear or you decide to upgrade, but the right frame will serve you well and enhance your riding beyond measure!, get that right first and the rest should be a breeze....

If you're looking at Shimano, then I wouldn't recommend going lower than 105. If you're doing more than 150km a week you will be disappointed with the quality of Tiagra or Sora. Similarly, Campag Veloce or Centaur, at a squeeze Mirage are of similar standard to the middle range 105...

Compact vs Traditional - matter of personal preference, take a Trek or Felt and compare it to a Giant or Avanti and see which geometry you prefer.

I shopped around, probably too much, before I purchased and ended up buying a Giant. Probably for the same reason everyone else does, they offer the best value for money and are a very reputable brand!

Learsport are cheap, but have a bad name, not sure why, haven't ridden one and haven't spoken to anyone who owns one but that is just the general word I hear around the traps. Might be a load of rubbish but I haven't looked into it that much.

nitrous said:
If you're looking at Shimano, then I wouldn't recommend going lower than 105. If you're doing more than 150km a week you will be disappointed with the quality of Tiagra or Sora. Similarly, Campag Veloce or Centaur, at a squeeze Mirage are of similar standard to the middle range 105...

Centaur is Campag's intro to their "high end range"(per Campag 05 catelogue)[Centaur Chorus Record]and is top value for money, it was Daytona... for lower price groupsets Mirage and Veloce are good budget entry level Campag , all are very robust and IMHO much more so than any Shimano in the category.

thanks for all the help everyone

I've decided on an 'azzurri' entry level bike with the sora groupset. In the end budget won out, I might upgrade in a year or two and see how it goes. I decided I'm mainly going to use the bike for training/commuting so the I thought I could do without the upgraded groupset and get some lights instead.

I'm very excited about it all, I pick it up in a couple of weeks.

cheers again!