Terra Nova Bothy Bags

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ian MacDougall, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Dear all,

    I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
    is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.

    I have 2 dilemmas:

    1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
    stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

    2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
    could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
    (we are all good friends :) )

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Ian!

    Tags:

  2. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Ian MacDougall wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >

    > I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
    > is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.

    Good idea - thoroughly recommend it.

    > I have 2 dilemmas:
    >

    > 1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
    > stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

    Seem to be very popular. While I've nver heard of any issues, they do
    seem a bit thin.

    > 2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
    > could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
    > (we are all good friends :) )

    Unlikely you'd get more in.

    I've got a 4-man KISU (Karrimor Instructors Survival Unit) which is near
    bombproof and has been used countless times for lucnh stops over the
    past 4/5 years. It's a bit thicker and therefore heavier (but more
    robust) than others I've seen. It would fit 5 at a push - if everyone
    could arrange their legs accordingly. It's best with 3 or 4, and a bit
    too big for two if the wind is up at all.

    druidh

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Ian
    MacDougall <[email protected]> writes
    >I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
    >is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.
    >
    >I have 2 dilemmas:
    >
    >1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
    >stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

    I have Terra-Nova two person model and a larger 6-8 person model via
    ebay from:

    http://www.outdoorstore.co.uk/products/survivalshelters.asp

    The TN is definitely posher - it even has windows but the cheapy is
    perfectly functional.

    >2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
    >could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
    >(we are all good friends :) )

    No! I have squeezed into my two person on with two small 13 year olds
    with very little room to spare. Good job it was only for 10 minutes -
    they thought it was great to be out of the wind and rain while the
    remaining adults caught us up. On the other hand I was rather
    uncomfortable and worrying about my nice shelter bursting at the seams!

    I would suggest that you get a small one for your two person trips and
    get a larger one for the larger groups. I see that outdoorstore now have
    a 1-3 person model on their site. Depending upon your sizes you might
    just get 4 in that but I doubt that you will want to be in there for any
    length of time.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  4. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    I have a Terra Nova 4 man and 8 man. It depends on what size of party I
    am guiding which one I take. I have never had to use either although
    two clients used the four man while others climbed an additional top. I
    know that I am supposed to carry them as an additional safety measure
    but if the weather is bad we tend to stop early for a break while there
    is natural shelter around and have a late lunch once we get lower down.
    Personally the only reason I can see a benefit for them is if someone
    is injured or ill but that is my opinion and I am sure others will have
    a different view.
    Lindsay.
    Caledonia Hilltreks.

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Ian MacDougall wrote:

    > 1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
    > stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

    It works for me... I've got a 2 man and the ski club has a couple of
    4s. They've worked well over the time we've had them and seem to be
    good kit. Having a spot out of the wind where there was no shelter to
    be had has made a /big/ difference on a few occasions.

    > 2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
    > could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
    > (we are all good friends :) )

    Not a chance, unless you're dwarves as well as friendly. The two man is
    just what it says. You could use a 4 with two okay, albeit a bit baggy,
    though of course then you're carrying more than you need. Okay for me,
    I can borrow a 4 any time I want to supplement my 2, so best solution is
    possibly have your pals chip in to buy a 4 to supplement a 2.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. Thanks all,

    buying both seems to be the way forward...

    Regards,

    Ian MacDougall

    > Ian MacDougall wrote:
    >
    >> 1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to
    >> be stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

    > It works for me... I've got a 2 man and the ski club has a couple of 4s.
    > They've worked well over the time we've had them and seem to be good kit.
    > Having a spot out of the wind where there was no shelter to be had has
    > made a /big/ difference on a few occasions.
    >
    >> 2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions
    >> there could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3
    >> or 4? (we are all good friends :) )

    > Not a chance, unless you're dwarves as well as friendly. The two man is
    > just what it says. You could use a 4 with two okay, albeit a bit baggy,
    > though of course then you're carrying more than you need. Okay for me, I
    > can borrow a 4 any time I want to supplement my 2, so best solution is
    > possibly have your pals chip in to buy a 4 to supplement a 2.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:50:40 -0000, "Ian MacDougall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >

    >I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
    >is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.

    Like others have said, its a wise decision to purchase one, there's
    always the 'just-in-case' factor and they are really very lightweight
    and compact. I've just recently purchase one and certainly if caught
    out in some atrociaous weather, you have that God-sent item of
    shelter. They are warm and snug inside and you can at least east your
    food in the warm and dry.

    >I have 2 dilemmas:
    >

    >1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
    >stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

    I've just purchased the Terra Nove (2 Man) although its only for one
    person, I thought going an extra size up would leave a little more
    room for my rucksack and to spread out a little. Then there is always
    that bit of extra space when I'm walking with someone else who might
    also appreciate some shelter. The two man bothy isn't much bigger
    than a toilet roll.

    >2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
    >could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
    >(we are all good friends :) )

    Well that's you call. Either a 2 man or a 4 man bothy

    >Thanks in advance for your help,
    >

    >Ian!

    Hope these comments help and you are able to make a decision.

    Best regards from

    Nigel