Terra Nova Bothy Bags

Ian MacDougall

Guest
Dear all,

I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.

I have 2 dilemmas:

1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
(we are all good friends :) )

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ian!

Ian MacDougall wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
> is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.

Good idea - thoroughly recommend it.

> I have 2 dilemmas:
>

> 1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
> stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

Seem to be very popular. While I've nver heard of any issues, they do
seem a bit thin.

> 2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
> could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
> (we are all good friends :) )

Unlikely you'd get more in.

I've got a 4-man KISU (Karrimor Instructors Survival Unit) which is near
bombproof and has been used countless times for lucnh stops over the
past 4/5 years. It's a bit thicker and therefore heavier (but more
robust) than others I've seen. It would fit 5 at a push - if everyone
could arrange their legs accordingly. It's best with 3 or 4, and a bit
too big for two if the wind is up at all.

druidh

In article <[email protected]>, Ian
MacDougall <[email protected]> writes
>I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
>is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.
>
>I have 2 dilemmas:
>
>1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
>stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

I have Terra-Nova two person model and a larger 6-8 person model via
ebay from:

http://www.outdoorstore.co.uk/products/survivalshelters.asp

The TN is definitely posher - it even has windows but the cheapy is
perfectly functional.

>2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
>could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
>(we are all good friends :) )

No! I have squeezed into my two person on with two small 13 year olds
with very little room to spare. Good job it was only for 10 minutes -
they thought it was great to be out of the wind and rain while the
remaining adults caught us up. On the other hand I was rather
uncomfortable and worrying about my nice shelter bursting at the seams!

I would suggest that you get a small one for your two person trips and
get a larger one for the larger groups. I see that outdoorstore now have
a 1-3 person model on their site. Depending upon your sizes you might
just get 4 in that but I doubt that you will want to be in there for any
length of time.

--

Dominic Sexton

I have a Terra Nova 4 man and 8 man. It depends on what size of party I
am guiding which one I take. I have never had to use either although
two clients used the four man while others climbed an additional top. I
know that I am supposed to carry them as an additional safety measure
but if the weather is bad we tend to stop early for a break while there
is natural shelter around and have a late lunch once we get lower down.
Personally the only reason I can see a benefit for them is if someone
is injured or ill but that is my opinion and I am sure others will have
a different view.
Lindsay.
Caledonia Hilltreks.

Ian MacDougall wrote:

> 1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
> stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

It works for me... I've got a 2 man and the ski club has a couple of
4s. They've worked well over the time we've had them and seem to be
good kit. Having a spot out of the wind where there was no shelter to
be had has made a /big/ difference on a few occasions.

> 2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
> could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
> (we are all good friends :) )

Not a chance, unless you're dwarves as well as friendly. The two man is
just what it says. You could use a 4 with two okay, albeit a bit baggy,
though of course then you're carrying more than you need. Okay for me,
I can borrow a 4 any time I want to supplement my 2, so best solution is
possibly have your pals chip in to buy a 4 to supplement a 2.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Thanks all,

buying both seems to be the way forward...

Regards,

Ian MacDougall

> Ian MacDougall wrote:
>
>> 1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to
>> be stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

> It works for me... I've got a 2 man and the ski club has a couple of 4s.
> They've worked well over the time we've had them and seem to be good kit.
> Having a spot out of the wind where there was no shelter to be had has
> made a /big/ difference on a few occasions.
>
>> 2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions
>> there could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3
>> or 4? (we are all good friends :) )

> Not a chance, unless you're dwarves as well as friendly. The two man is
> just what it says. You could use a 4 with two okay, albeit a bit baggy,
> though of course then you're carrying more than you need. Okay for me, I
> can borrow a 4 any time I want to supplement my 2, so best solution is
> possibly have your pals chip in to buy a 4 to supplement a 2.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:50:40 -0000, "Ian MacDougall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dear all,
>

>I was thinking of investing in a Bothy Bag for those occasions when shelter
>is required to escape the elements out on the Scottish Hills.

Like others have said, its a wise decision to purchase one, there's
always the 'just-in-case' factor and they are really very lightweight
and compact. I've just recently purchase one and certainly if caught
out in some atrociaous weather, you have that God-sent item of
shelter. They are warm and snug inside and you can at least east your
food in the warm and dry.

>I have 2 dilemmas:
>

>1. Which make / design would people recommend? The Terra Nova seems to be
>stocked by most companies.. is it a good choice?

I've just purchased the Terra Nove (2 Man) although its only for one
person, I thought going an extra size up would leave a little more
room for my rucksack and to spread out a little. Then there is always
that bit of extra space when I'm walking with someone else who might
also appreciate some shelter. The two man bothy isn't much bigger
than a toilet roll.

>2. I mainly walk with 1 friend, so there are 2 of us... on occasions there
>could be 3 or 4 of us.... would a 2 man take (even uncomfortably) 3 or 4?
>(we are all good friends :) )

Well that's you call. Either a 2 man or a 4 man bothy

>Thanks in advance for your help,
>

>Ian!

Hope these comments help and you are able to make a decision.

Best regards from

Nigel