Terrible News

Cyclist14

Oct 13, 2004
One of my teamates, Dylan Mitchell, was riding home from a group ride on Friday when he was struck and killed by a car. Dylan had a lot of talent and was full of ambition, in just 2 years he ascended the ranks from a Cat. 5 to a Cat. 2 and he won many races, including the U-23 NC State Road Race Championships. He was in his early twenties. He gave me a lot of advice and he was a great athlete, a great friend.

You can see what he looked like on: www.jdcycling.com

So sad to hear this and many other terrible stories such as this. I'm very sorry for yours and others losses. Hopefully the driver was dealt with. I like to think that the streets Dylan's riding on now doesn't have traffic. Keep riding, friend. You will be missed by all!! Godspeed.

Cyclist14 said:
One of my teamates, Dylan Mitchell, was riding home from a group ride on Friday when he was struck and killed by a car. Dylan had a lot of talent and was full of ambition, in just 2 years he ascended the ranks from a Cat. 5 to a Cat. 2 and he won many races, including the U-23 NC State Road Race Championships. He was in his early twenties. He gave me a lot of advice and he was a great athlete, a great friend.

You can see what he looked like on: www.jdcycling.com
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've been there myself and I know it may make you question the whole point of cycling in the first place. Keep on riding, if for no other reason than in his honour. I'm sure I speak for everyone here, pass on our sympathys to his friends and family. Hopefully the driver will get his/her just deserts.:(

We can only hope that his death will serve to open the eyes of others that go through life with a deadly negligence and disregard for others.
Peace be with him!

I've got a race on Saturday and Sunday and I want to win for him. Don't worry I will keep riding, if it had been me I would have wanted him to keep riding.

That's just awful! I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry for your loss.

Cyclist14 said:
I've got a race on Saturday and Sunday and I want to win for him. Don't worry I will keep riding, if it had been me I would have wanted him to keep riding.
Do well in your race.

Here are some words from Irish poet Pat McCarty on the death of a friend.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there... I do not sleep.
I am the thousand winds that blow...
I am the shiney glints on snow...
I am the sunlight on ripened grain...
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you waken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of gentle birds in circling flight...
I am that star that shines at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry—
I am not there... I did not die...

Our entire bike team, "Team Outta' Breath" from Charlotte sends our
deepest condolences for the loss of your friend and team mate Dylan. Please extend our

sympathies to his family and team mates.

If a public service is scheduled, please e-mail me at, [email protected] so that I can distribute this information to our team.

We will honor Dylan by riding.

We are so very sorry for the loss of Dylan,

Respectfully,

Karl Shifflett

That just plain sucks, sorry to hear it.

Where did it happen? Where is he from? I did a quick internet search and came up with nothing.

That really made me stop and think for a minute or two......sorry to hear about your teammate, i had a trek mtb stolen today, makes you think, i lost a bike but you've lost a friend.

Keep riding :)

http://www.thestate.com/mld/state/news/obituaries/12564115.htmDylan Mitchell FORT MILL — On Friday, September 2, 2005, Dylan, age 21, was enjoying life to the fullest when his life was cut short by an unfortunate accident. A gifted comic, artist, scholar, soccer player and cat 2 pro cyclist, Dylan was a joy and inspiration to us all.
Monday, September 5, 2005 (The State)

Fort Mill bicyclist dies in accident

A 21-year-old Fort Mill man died in Richland County this week after a 2003 Pontiac Vibe collided with his bicycle, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol.

The accident happened around 8:40 p.m. Friday on S.C. 48, said Lance Cpl. Josef Robinson.

Dylan Paul Mitchell of 1686 Double Oak Road was traveling east on his bicycle when 63-year-old Joel Peavy Jr. of 329 S. Bull St., Columbia, struck him from behind, Robinson said.

Mitchell was transported to Richland Hospital where he died around 9 p.m. Mitchell was wearing a helmet and Peavy was wearing a seat belt, Robinson said.

Here are a few qoutes from the local news.

Cyclist14 said:
http://www.jdcycling.com/crankin.jpg
Here he is riding towards victory in the 2005 Dilworth Criterium
http://www.jdcycling.com/faces.jpg
and in this picture he is taking a corner in the Spartanburg Crit
Unfortunate event indeed. No one should go like that.

I hope the driver looses everything he worked so hard for, since there is no excuse to hit a bicycle on the road ... no excuse.

I hope the cyclist family fleeces the guy clean.
:mad:

There will be no formal ceremony at this time.

Wolfe Funeral Home in Fort Mill will be arranging a private cremation service for the family.

There will be a Memorial Service held in several weeks to which all will be invited to remember the good times and Honor Dylan's life. More information will follow as plans develop.

Cyclist14 said:
There will be no formal ceremony at this time.

Wolfe Funeral Home in Fort Mill will be arranging a private cremation service for the family.

There will be a Memorial Service held in several weeks to which all will be invited to remember the good times and Honor Dylan's life. More information will follow as plans develop.
Thank you for your information. Please email me at [email protected] so that I can post this to my riding team.

Again, we are so very sorry for the loss of Dylan.

Best to you,

Karl

As I said earlier the rest of our team is still going to a race this weekend and I am still looking forwards to the race and to many more years of competitve cycling:D

Cyclist14 said:
As I said earlier the rest of our team is still going to a race this weekend and I am still looking forwards to the race and to many more years of competitve cycling:D
Our team is riding tonight at 5:30pm and this weekend and the MS-150 ride and will honor your teammate by riding.

Best to you,

Karl

Attached you'll find an image I created in PhotoShop for a Jersey Iron On.

Regards,

Karl