Terrifying Hills?

Uawadall said:
Do any of you guys do hills regularly that are really challenging? Also, some may ride steeper hills, but I think this one is an adequate challenge for a 4 month newbie,lol..
You seem to be improving. And you seem happy.

The hardest hills I have are in my shop on my trainer. Just sit there and pump out the watts. And sweat.

Outdoor hills are a lot easier. Find a gear, get into a rhythm, and enjoy the scenery. Smokey Mountains NP, Sequoya NP, and Rocky Mountain NP have nice climbs. But there are so many nice climbs out there.

limerickman said:
150lbs, I wish.

My racing weight was between 175-180lbs.
If memory serves I did get down to 165lbs but that was the exception.
I'd have the same frame as Ullrich and Indurain but that's where all similarities end :D
My racing weight back in the 90's was around 143lbs - venturing down to 140 for a few weeks or 145 on the 'fat' side for winter. At 5'11, 143lb and a threshold at 345 watts I wasn't too bad on the hills but I hated the flats, especially crits. I did manage a long 20 minute 10 mile TT on a 531 frame with tri bars on but fark, I about chucked up a years worth of lunches after that. That was an exception rather than the norm. On trips to the Alps and Pyrenees, I can't say I ever wanted for gearing less than 39x25 but that wasn't at a Froomey 90+rpm, more like a mash-it-like-Millar rpm, Robert not David. My big hero's when I started were Robert Millar, Luis Herrera and Bernard Hinault, so my pedaling cadence wasn't what today's guys go after...

Now I'm right where you are weight wise. Back in 2011 I got back down to 153lbs and life on rides like the "Death Ride" - 124 miles and 15,000ft of climbing (average altitude 6,500ft and all 5 passes topping out over 8,300ft) was a nice fairly easy day out. 9 hours inc. lunch and a fair few rest stops and chats here and there. Last year that ride was bordering on torture but I still finished. Pride... Overrated. :lol: I had a sprocket on the back that resembled a chainring for farks sake. LOL.

Uawadall said:
Overtime after that, I've completed it. Today was the first time I tackled it in 90 degree weather, I was breathing heavy and sweating a lot.As brutal as it feels, I'll never skip it, something about it makes me feel accomplished.
When I raced I loved hills because I could climb. Now I'm no longer thin or fit but I still love the sense of accomplishment of climbing a big hill despite having a power meter than tells me how hard to go and gearing that allows me to almost climb a vertical wall.

Have fun, keep riding and enjoy every minute of it. Enjoy the thrill of getting to the top of a hill and enjoy the ride down. Congrats on your improvement!!! :D

Once you get fit enough to semi-reasonably get to the top of that big hill, find some smaller hills and on a few days of the week, ride up them at a faster pace than you would the big hill. It'll hurt but that extra effort will do you a world of good.

The big thing though is weight. Ride often and just be a little careful on what you eat. The weight will come off slowly. Even if you lose a 1lb a week for a couple of months, that'll make a very big difference to the way you climb.

On a 7% hill, each pound of weight saves a watt of power. Lose 20lbs and that's about a 20 watt saving. Gaining 20 watts is tough - losing 20 watts of you're on the big side, isn't so hard.

Susimi said:
On my route to the next town over there's a hill that at it's steepest is around 10% I believe? It's quite a long climb but it doesn't reach it's steepest until the road reaches it's last 200 or so yards. Climbing up it is tough and going back down is nerve-racking because it's in the country with trees shedding stuff onto the road and the hill rounds a blind bend.
Basic rules of descending:

The hard braking MUST be done before the corner. I cannot emphasize that enough. It's faster on a descent, and safer, to brake a bit too hard on the way into a corner and take a good line though the corner, than it is to hope you can make it around the corner because you went into the turn too fast. If you're on the brakes fairly hard half way around a bend then you went in too fast.

Always look way, way up the road - not just at the point where you're going to be. This requires practice over time. The more you do it the more you gain confidence. Vision is everything. Example: You're coming down a hill and approaching what looks like a hairpin bend that turns to the left. You apply the brakes, look at the bend and then look down the hill across you left shoulder to see where the road goes after the bend. That look only needs to take a second but provides a lot of information. It may be that what looks to be a hairpin bend really isn't - it might be that what looks like an easy corner is really a very, very tight corner. Vision is everything. Just like with a car, don't go faster than you can stay safe.

Bikes don't turn well when they're pretty much upright. You need me make the bike lean. The easiest way to make a bike lean into a corner when you start to turn, it to turn the bars ever so slightly the opposite way for a brief moment. This is a bit of an 'advanced' technique and it's one that motorcycle guys embrace as "rear wheel steering" - the difference is they can stay on the power during the corner, keep that opposite turn and steer with the throttle, whereas on a bicycle you can only do it for a fraction of a second or you'll fall on your ass. :) All it takes it to move your body a little to the outside of the turn (if you're turning left, then put your weight a little bit more on the right side of the bike) and less than a centimeter of movement in the handlebars in the opposite direction of the turn, smoothly but quickly, to get the bike to want to lean into the corner. Once the bike starts to "drop", turn the wheel in the direction of the inside of the corner. As with everything on the bike, start slow and gain confidence before progressing.

The best way of going fast downhill: Follow someone fast. Bike clubs are a good place for this. Ride with others that are better than you.

swampy1970 said:
When I raced I loved hills because I could climb. Now I'm no longer thin or fit but I still love the sense of accomplishment of climbing a big hill despite having a power meter than tells me how hard to go and gearing that allows me to almost climb a vertical wall.

Have fun, keep riding and enjoy every minute of it. Enjoy the thrill of getting to the top of a hill and enjoy the ride down. Congrats on your improvement!!! :D

Once you get fit enough to semi-reasonably get to the top of that big hill, find some smaller hills and on a few days of the week, ride up them at a faster pace than you would the big hill. It'll hurt but that extra effort will do you a world of good.

The big thing though is weight. Ride often and just be a little careful on what you eat. The weight will come off slowly. Even if you lose a 1lb a week for a couple of months, that'll make a very big difference to the way you climb.

On a 7% hill, each pound of weight saves a watt of power. Lose 20lbs and that's about a 20 watt saving. Gaining 20 watts is tough - losing 20 watts of you're on the big side, isn't so hard.
I've noticed I can power through smaller hills much easier after tackling this big one. I'll try to do those smaller hills even faster! I don't intend on losing weight, but how much do climbers want to weigh typically?I thought I was super skinny at 6'4" and 165 pounds, but it seems like some cyclist are even skinnier. I think I read somewhere that an elite climber aims for 2 pounds per inch of height. that means if I was aiming to be "elite" id be a mere 152 pounds...(76"x2)

BobCochran said:
My weight is 213 pounds.

I need to train on hills like these, too. Maybe I can take a few days off work and bicycle to northwestern Maryland and hope to find some long climbs. However, the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge areas might be better, I don't know.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Wow you are a lightweight! :D I know a lot of guys that avoid hills because they consider themselves heavy as a cyclist. As long as one builds the endurance to climb, it's no problem. The timed events I posted above I did at 230 lbs no problem. So really being a little bigger rider shouldn't stop one from having fun on the climbs! B)

BTW, this is a video climbing GMR (Glendora Mtn Rd) this past July 3rd. Road was closed to traffic for the holiday weekend to prevent fires. This day we climbed 3200 ft. 6% average grade. I make videos of my rides. My style is usually talk with people I encounter then a music video. Some climbing and some descending with max speed at 37 MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmvNQLhZelc

Reactions: BobCochran
Quote by Lim:
"150lbs, I wish."

In my youth I finished races 153-155 pounds, but my daily weight ran more like 155-160.

"My racing weight was between 175-180lbs.
If memory serves I did get down to 165lbs but that was the exception.
I'd have the same frame as Ullrich and Indurain but that's where all similarities end"

I've managed to stay pretty lean over the years. I'm still touching the 160 pound mark and two evenings ago managed to take a second place (story of my life!) on a mile-long STRAVA KOM. I climbed it faster than a few of the decent local racers that are decades younger than me, but...still a whopping 19 seconds behind the climbing ace I train with.

The old saying, "To do better on hills...you better DO hills!", is something to ponder. And get yourself a good climbing mantra!

Reactions: BobCochran
Quote by Mr. B:
"Did you get a chance to ride up Glendora Mtn Rd/ Glendorra Ridge Rd?"

Sadly, no. That trip had some time constraints on cycling fun. I did mange to hit the Hollywood Whiskey A Go Go back in the era of velvet suits and see Brian Auger and The Oblivion Express. It was nineteen seventy-something.

Edit:

Damn...I never knew...

http://www.discogs.com/Brian-Augers-Oblivion-Express-Live-Oblivion-Vol-2/release/2089990

They recorded an album there in 1974. I wonder if I was there for that?

"Liner notes indicate that the concerts took place in spring"

Damn! I think that's when I was there. The band was probably booked for two or three nights, so who knows what tape they used from which show? Still...news to me after 41 years! I would have been riding and racing for two years, back then.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
CAMPYBOB said:
I've managed to stay pretty lean over the years. I'm still touching the 160 pound mark and two evenings ago managed to take a second place (story of my life!) on a mile-long STRAVA KOM. I climbed it faster than a few of the decent local racers that are decades younger than me, but...still a whopping 19 seconds behind the climbing ace I train with.

The old saying, "To do better on hills...you better DO hills!", is something to ponder. And get yourself a good climbing mantra!
This has been the first sport I've done where my body type actually seems beneficial. Do all cyclist want to be as skinny as possible? If I really wanted to, I could drop upwards of 5 pounds. Maybe I should have started this sport sooner,lol...The segment is on starva and I'm currently 8th place out of 33,68 attempted it, but not all could make it to the top.I need to stop playing around and get road bike shorts, train more and somehow beat the guy at the top that did it 2 minutes 21 seconds faster than me. Second place beat my time by 55 seconds.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-21%20at%202.59.44%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-21%20at%202.59.44%20PM.png

limerickman said:
I follow TV coverage of the ToC over here in Europe - so I'm familiar with the type of climbs shown in your photos.

The breeze would be a factor, I'm guessing.

Eurosport coverage is excellent. Cambria stage last year was spectacular.
Ah now I see what you mean by a breeze. The video you posted is coastal so there is a cool ocean breeze. GMR is inland and no coastal breeze at all. It gets very hot on GMR, 100+.

Mr. Beanz, thank you for posting your video. I really appreciate watching it. I hope to gain the same sort of skill. Maybe Strava can show me some likely hills I can practice on in my locality. I'll never be a "KOM" but perhaps I can be another successful traveler of hills.

Bob

BobCochran said:
Mr. Beanz, thank you for posting your video. I really appreciate watching it. I hope to gain the same sort of skill. Maybe Strava can show me some likely hills I can practice on in my locality. I'll never be a "KOM" but perhaps I can be another successful traveler of hills.

Bob
Climbing adds so much more to the cycling experience. Our local climbs and mountains have been raced a few times over the years by the pro TDF racers so no KOM's here. But I will say that climbing mountains exposes one to some great supportive riders. While climbing the mountain roads, even the super fit fast guys will ride by and shout words of encouragement to my wife and me at times. Riders are so much more supportive I think maybe cause they know what an effort it takes to make it up!

swampy1970 said:
Basic rules of descending:

The hard braking MUST be done before the corner. I cannot emphasize that enough. It's faster on a descent, and safer, to brake a bit too hard on the way into a corner and take a good line though the corner, than it is to hope you can make it around the corner because you went into the turn too fast. If you're on the brakes fairly hard half way around a bend then you went in too fast.

Always look way, way up the road - not just at the point where you're going to be. This requires practice over time. The more you do it the more you gain confidence. Vision is everything. Example: You're coming down a hill and approaching what looks like a hairpin bend that turns to the left. You apply the brakes, look at the bend and then look down the hill across you left shoulder to see where the road goes after the bend. That look only needs to take a second but provides a lot of information. It may be that what looks to be a hairpin bend really isn't - it might be that what looks like an easy corner is really a very, very tight corner. Vision is everything. Just like with a car, don't go faster than you can stay safe.

Bikes don't turn well when they're pretty much upright. You need me make the bike lean. The easiest way to make a bike lean into a corner when you start to turn, it to turn the bars ever so slightly the opposite way for a brief moment. This is a bit of an 'advanced' technique and it's one that motorcycle guys embrace as "rear wheel steering" - the difference is they can stay on the power during the corner, keep that opposite turn and steer with the throttle, whereas on a bicycle you can only do it for a fraction of a second or you'll fall on your ass. :) All it takes it to move your body a little to the outside of the turn (if you're turning left, then put your weight a little bit more on the right side of the bike) and less than a centimeter of movement in the handlebars in the opposite direction of the turn, smoothly but quickly, to get the bike to want to lean into the corner. Once the bike starts to "drop", turn the wheel in the direction of the inside of the corner. As with everything on the bike, start slow and gain confidence before progressing.

The best way of going fast downhill: Follow someone fast. Bike clubs are a good place for this. Ride with others that are better than you.
Thanks for the tips :) I will be sure to think of them next time I do that trip.

The rear-wheel steering technique I've never really got the hang of to be honest. I've heard it a lot but just cannot grasp the concept in my head. I'm most likely doing it wrong but I've developed my own way of leaning since when I was a kid and that's shifting my weight into the corner so the bike drops a little. I most likely look like an idiot but I can't seem to break out of it, it's second nature.

Yeah I like hills. I use to skate down some steep hills. I'd have to walk up them side ways to get up there. Biking up them is much easier. The one you are talking about sounds pretty thick.

Yes I do hills regularly. The Hill that you described is not as steep as the one that I live on. Sometimes I get frustrated with this Hill but at the same time I know it is good exercise for me. You see, i have no choice when it comes on to this Hill.

Mr. Beanz said:
BTW, this is a video climbing GMR (Glendora Mtn Rd) this past July 3rd. Road was closed to traffic for the holiday weekend to prevent fires. This day we climbed 3200 ft. 6% average grade. I make videos of my rides. My style is usually talk with people I encounter then a music video. Some climbing and some descending with max speed at 37 MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmvNQLhZelc
That's some pretty cool stuff. I can see that riding is a great passion of yours. Keep up the good work and keep making more videos so I can get to watch them. I like your style.

Meds said:
Yes I do hills regularly. The Hill that you described is not as steep as the one that I live on. Sometimes I get frustrated with this Hill but at the same time I know it is good exercise for me. You see, i have no choice when it comes on to this Hill.
I have never experienced riding in mostly flat terrain. In my area, its typical +/-800 feet or so for every 10 miles. The 6% doesn't really do this hill justice, I thought it was relatively even, but there are parts that go lower than 6% and spots that go up to as much as 23%.Also, plenty of potholes....Since I've posted this, I've improved substantially and have done this hill at least once a week.

8/2-11:28
8/10-10:23
8/16-8:37
8/18-8:34
8/26-8:38
9/3-8:41
9/11-8:11
9/18-8:20
9/25(or 2 hours ago)-7:55

I shaved 3 minutes 33 seconds of my first attempt and am 4/38 on the Strava app. I've started to really enjoy hills and am now one of the better hill climbers in my cycling club :D .

Lightweight riders will always have an advantage on the hills, but even heavier riders can do well. There are no long climbs around here in MN, but I have traveled and done a few 1000+ foot climbs. Reaching the peak of a long climb feels awesome. My highest climb was to ~4500 feet starting at sea level on the big island of hawaii, the view was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeXLA4Zu93A

The second part of the climb was much quieter and picturesque. I passed a tandem at the 09:15 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1ce7-wup8

Another cool climb is from Keystone SD to the Mount Rushmore monument. I made this climb on a heavy, loaded cross bike - you can hear the disk brakes rubbing a bit, the climb up starts at the 8 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVC4BNdRxA

maydog said:
Lightweight riders will always have an advantage on the hills, but even heavier riders can do well. There are no long climbs around here in MN, but I have traveled and done a few 1000+ foot climbs. Reaching the peak of a long climb feels awesome. My highest climb was to ~4500 feet starting at sea level on the big island of hawaii, the view was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeXLA4Zu93A

The second part of the climb was much quieter and picturesque. I passed a tandem at the 09:15 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1ce7-wup8

Another cool climb is from Keystone SD to the Mount Rushmore monument. I made this climb on a heavy, loaded cross bike - you can hear the disk brakes rubbing a bit, the climb up starts at the 8 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVC4BNdRxA
I think thats the same ride in Hawaii that one of our group leaders in the cycling club and his wife did a few years ago. I'd love to go to other states and test out the climbs there!