Tesco camping gear?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Nick Pedley, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    In the Seasonal aisle of Tescos tonight I noticed they now sell things like
    blankets, rollmats, fleece blankets and campchairs. The best thing is a set
    of a two man tent (w/big porch), two sleeping bags and IIRC rollmats, all
    this comes in a custom bag with wheels on for easy transport. The cover art
    shows two people climbing a mountain with tiny rucksacks!

    Can't remember the prices or find anything on the Tesco website (crap, you
    have to login to find anything) but the blankets (£5?) looked good and had a
    strap round them.

    Nick

    Tags:

  2. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:11:52 +0100, "Nick Pedley"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In the Seasonal aisle of Tescos tonight I noticed they now sell things like
    >blankets, rollmats, fleece blankets and campchairs. The best thing is a set
    >of a two man tent (w/big porch), two sleeping bags and IIRC rollmats, all
    >this comes in a custom bag with wheels on for easy transport. The cover art
    >shows two people climbing a mountain with tiny rucksacks!
    >
    >Can't remember the prices or find anything on the Tesco website (crap, you
    >have to login to find anything) but the blankets (£5?) looked good and had a
    >strap round them.
    >
    >Nick

    Folding armchairs are about £6, and are very comfy. I got 2 identical
    ones a week ago from another shop for £7 each and they are very easy
    to fold/unfold, and don't dig into your legs like a deckchair does,
    nor do they collapse on you!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  3. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 28/7/04 9:11 pm, in article [email protected], "Nick
    Pedley" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In the Seasonal aisle of Tescos tonight I noticed they now sell things like
    > blankets, rollmats, fleece blankets and campchairs. The best thing is a set
    > of a two man tent (w/big porch), two sleeping bags and IIRC rollmats, all
    > this comes in a custom bag with wheels on for easy transport. The cover art
    > shows two people climbing a mountain with tiny rucksacks!

    I don't think I can possibly cope with the Tesco Tent thread :)

    Of course their tents are going to be better quality at a similar price and
    might just be the best tents of all ...

    ... I just couldn't cope with it. Please comrades, resist the temptation to
    buy one!

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

  4. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:30:41 GMT, "Joe Bloggs" <[email protected]ggs.com> wrote:

    >I looked at getting one of those armchairs. Complete with beer holder built
    >in the arm, it looked ideal for lazy summer days. Then I read the box -
    >IIRC it said max weight was 80Kgs. At nearer 100Kgs (ye gods that's 1/10th
    >of a tonne!!), I'll stick to something more substantial!!
    >
    >Dave

    It would *never* occur to me to check the max. weight of a chair!
    100Kg? You fat bast*rd!

    The cup holder is a bit small - it wouldn't hold a pint, though it
    will no doubt hold a bottle of Becks. I might check later if I'm still
    standing.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  5. Joe Bloggs

    Joe Bloggs Guest

    "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:11:52 +0100, "Nick Pedley"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In the Seasonal aisle of Tescos tonight I noticed they now sell things

    like
    > >blankets, rollmats, fleece blankets and campchairs. The best thing is a

    set
    > >of a two man tent (w/big porch), two sleeping bags and IIRC rollmats, all
    > >this comes in a custom bag with wheels on for easy transport. The cover

    art
    > >shows two people climbing a mountain with tiny rucksacks!
    > >
    > >Can't remember the prices or find anything on the Tesco website (crap,

    you
    > >have to login to find anything) but the blankets (£5?) looked good and

    had a
    > >strap round them.
    > >
    > >Nick
    > >

    > Folding armchairs are about £6, and are very comfy. I got 2 identical
    > ones a week ago from another shop for £7 each and they are very easy
    > to fold/unfold, and don't dig into your legs like a deckchair does,
    > nor do they collapse on you!

    I looked at getting one of those armchairs. Complete with beer holder built
    in the arm, it looked ideal for lazy summer days. Then I read the box -
    IIRC it said max weight was 80Kgs. At nearer 100Kgs (ye gods that's 1/10th
    of a tonne!!), I'll stick to something more substantial!!

    Dave

  6. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > In the Seasonal aisle of Tescos tonight I noticed they now sell things like
    > blankets, rollmats, fleece blankets and campchairs. The best thing is a set
    > of a two man tent (w/big porch), two sleeping bags and IIRC rollmats, all
    > this comes in a custom bag with wheels on for easy transport. The cover art
    > shows two people climbing a mountain with tiny rucksacks!

    I wouldn't trust the tent anywhere but in my own back garden,
    with the back door open all night in case of hasty retreat. I
    reckon it's probably just about suitable for the children to play
    in, but I certainly wouldn't bother taking it camping anywhere.
    It might have a big porch, but IIRC it's single skin only (could
    be wrong about that of course) and nowhere in the packaging does
    it give any technical detail at *all*. I checked.
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

  7. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > It would *never* occur to me to check the max. weight of a chair!
    > 100Kg? You fat bast*rd!

    Wossat in stones?
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

  8. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > I don't think I can possibly cope with the Tesco Tent thread :)
    >
    > .. I just couldn't cope with it. Please comrades, resist the temptation to
    > buy one!

    I did. Resist, I mean. They're crap.
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

  9. "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] said...
    > > It would *never* occur to me to check the max. weight of a chair!
    > > 100Kg? You fat bast*rd!
    > >

    > Wossat in stones?

    A little over 15.5 stone. Don't ask me how I know...(sigh)

    Have fun,
    Paul

  10. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Paul Cummings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > A little over 15.5 stone. Don't ask me how I know...(sigh)
    >
    > Have fun,
    > Paul

    "Fat bastard" was a bit harsh from Rooney then. Unless Joe is
    4 foot 10?

    Ian.

  11. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:19:56 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul Cummings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >

    >> A little over 15.5 stone. Don't ask me how I know...(sigh)
    >>
    >> Have fun,
    >> Paul

    >"Fat bastard" was a bit harsh from Rooney then. Unless Joe is
    >4 foot 10?
    >
    >Ian.

    OK, I retract. Plump bast*rd will fit the bill.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  12. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Joe Bloggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > 6ft 2 and obviously still too short for my weight!!
    >
    > Dave

    Ah! Tall enough and weighty enough to give Paul the damn good kicking
    that has awaited him for too long now.

    Ian.

  13. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:29:08 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Joe Bloggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >> 6ft 2 and obviously still too short for my weight!!
    >>
    >> Dave

    >Ah! Tall enough and weighty enough to give Paul the damn good kicking
    >that has awaited him for too long now.
    >
    >Ian.

    What's Paul done to deserve this opprobrium? He seems like a nice guy
    - just goes on a bit about GPSs!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  14. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

  15. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

  16. Joe Bloggs

    Joe Bloggs Guest

    "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:30:41 GMT, "Joe Bloggs" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >I looked at getting one of those armchairs. Complete with beer holder

    built
    > >in the arm, it looked ideal for lazy summer days. Then I read the box -
    > >IIRC it said max weight was 80Kgs. At nearer 100Kgs (ye gods that's

    1/10th
    > >of a tonne!!), I'll stick to something more substantial!!
    > >
    > >Dave
    > >

    > It would *never* occur to me to check the max. weight of a chair!
    > 100Kg? You fat bast*rd!

    Fat bast*rd! How dare you!! I prefer to think of myself as 'big boned' or
    'strapping 6 footer'!!

    Any more of that and I'll sit on you!!

    Dave

  17. Joe Bloggs

    Joe Bloggs Guest

    "Ian Dainty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Paul Cummings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    > > A little over 15.5 stone. Don't ask me how I know...(sigh)
    > >
    > > Have fun,
    > > Paul

    > "Fat bastard" was a bit harsh from Rooney then. Unless Joe is
    > 4 foot 10?

    6ft 2 and obviously still too short for my weight!!

    Dave

  18. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:43:38 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >

    >> What's Paul done to deserve this opprobrium? He seems like a nice guy
    >> - just goes on a bit about GPSs!

    >May I enquire? Why are you not at work?
    >
    >Ian.

    You may indeed.
    I'm spending a few quality days with Stella before I go off on my
    jollies for a while. Work is a four letter word.
    Last week, the Dales. Next week, the Tyrol.

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  19. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > You may indeed.
    > I'm spending a few quality days with Stella before I go off on my
    > jollies for a while. Work is a four letter word.
    > Last week, the Dales. Next week, the Tyrol.

    *stands back in mute admiration*

    Ah Stella! A truly wonderful companian. All that you need really.
    Work *IS* an inconvenience and best avoided I agree. I'm considering
    signing up for one of Mr Blairs Exceedingly good benefits packages.

    Dole not coal regards,

    Ian.

  20. "Ian Dainty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Joe Bloggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > 6ft 2 and obviously still too short for my weight!!
    > >
    > > Dave

    > Ah! Tall enough and weighty enough to give Paul the damn good kicking
    > that has awaited him for too long now.

    I think you need to be very clear which Paul you mean here. There are quite
    a number of us on this newsgroup.

    Have fun,
    Paul