Test: Bean Sprouts

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by L'Espérance, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    this is cheap and very easy.

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "L'Espérance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    >test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple of
    >Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    >salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts, this
    >is cheap and very easy.

    Are you saying that bean sprouts are cheap and easy? Just as they were 39
    years ago? We're going to need all sorts of web links to verify your claims.

  3. Jude

    Jude Guest

    L'Espérance wrote:
    > I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    > test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    > of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    > salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    > this is cheap and very easy.

    Your post got through to me. Your penance is that you now have to tell
    me how to growq bean sprouts, in exactling detail. Unfortunately, I
    have no idea where to get mung beans around here, so I can't make those
    kind for my stir-fries, but I do like the little srouted crunchy beans
    they sell for salads, which are lentils and peas and garbanzoes and all
    sorts of beans, sprouted, so I can do those......

  4. In article <11uiae4s[email protected]>,
    L'Esperance <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    > test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    > of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    > salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    > this is cheap and very easy.

    It may be cheap, but IMHO it's not easy.
    I gave up on it finally. :-( They are so cheap to buy and I don't have
    to deal with unsuccesful batches. I'm not sure why they don't do well
    for me, but they don't.

    I like bean sprouts for some stuff, but use more alfalfa than anything
    else.

    Sunflower sprouts are to die for!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  5. serene

    serene Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:19:51 -0500, L'Espérance <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    >test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    >of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    >salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    >this is cheap and very easy.

    How is this OT?

    I make lentil sprouts. They're way yummy.

    serene

  6. serene

    serene Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:28:28 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > L'Esperance <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    >> test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    >> of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    >> salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    >> this is cheap and very easy.

    >It may be cheap, but IMHO it's not easy.
    >I gave up on it finally. :-( They are so cheap to buy and I don't have
    >to deal with unsuccesful batches. I'm not sure why they don't do well
    >for me, but they don't.

    Can you give me an idea what you do? I've been making my own since I
    was a kid, and they always work fine for me.

    serene

  7. serene

    serene Guest

    On 7 Feb 2006 17:16:41 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >L'Espérance wrote:
    >> I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    >> test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    >> of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    >> salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    >> this is cheap and very easy.

    >Your post got through to me. Your penance is that you now have to tell
    >me how to growq bean sprouts, in exactling detail.

    This website gives essentially the directions I use:

    http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-419/426-419.html

    >Unfortunately, I
    >have no idea where to get mung beans around here,

    Try an Asian grocery or the Asian section of your natural-foods store,
    if they don't have them in the bulk bin.

    >so I can't make those
    >kind for my stir-fries, but I do like the little srouted crunchy beans
    >they sell for salads, which are lentils and peas and garbanzoes and all
    >sorts of beans, sprouted, so I can do those......

    I love them all. My favorites are lentils, and they don't take very
    long. Yumma. Now I'm wanting 'em. You people sure do make a lot of
    tasty work for me.

    serene

  8. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > L'Espérance wrote:
    >
    >>I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    >>test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    >>of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    >>salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    >>this is cheap and very easy.

    > Your post got through to me. Your penance is that you now have to tell
    > me how to growq bean sprouts, in exactling detail. Unfortunately, I
    > have no idea where to get mung beans around here, so I can't make those
    > kind for my stir-fries, but I do like the little srouted crunchy beans
    > they sell for salads, which are lentils and peas and garbanzoes and all
    > sorts of beans, sprouted, so I can do those......

    Thanks Jude. Here's how I do bean sprouts. You can use any beans you
    want. I just happen to prefer mung beans. Rinse the beans then pour
    into an opague container such as a sour cream container. Cover with
    warm water, put the lid on just to cover but not tight, set aside for an
    hour or two. Drain and set container into dark cabinet. Keep the lid
    on but not tight to help preserve humidity level in the container.
    Rinse once or twice daily. Let sprouts grow to desired height. Rinse
    and use for stir fries, salads, or sandwiches. If you start another
    container a couple of days later you can have a continuous supply of
    bean sprouts. Enjoy :)

  9. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > L'Esperance <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    >>test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    >>of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    >>salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    >>this is cheap and very easy.

    > It may be cheap, but IMHO it's not easy.
    > I gave up on it finally. :-( They are so cheap to buy and I don't have
    > to deal with unsuccesful batches. I'm not sure why they don't do well
    > for me, but they don't.

    In all the years I've been sprouting beans, I can only recall one
    unsuccessful batch. We left for a long weekend and I forgot I had bean
    sprounts in the cupboard. They really need that daily watering. IMO,
    sprouting beans is about the easiest thing you can do in the kitchen.
    Like sourdough starter, I have beans sprouting on the go most of the
    time unless I know we are going to be away.

    > I like bean sprouts for some stuff, but use more alfalfa than anything
    > else.
    >
    > Sunflower sprouts are to die for!

  10. Jude

    Jude Guest

    L'Espérance wrote:

    > Thanks Jude. Here's how I do bean sprouts. You can use any beans you
    > want. I just happen to prefer mung beans. Rinse the beans then pour
    > into an opague container such as a sour cream container. Cover with
    > warm water, put the lid on just to cover but not tight, set aside for an
    > hour or two. Drain and set container into dark cabinet. Keep the lid
    > on but not tight to help preserve humidity level in the container.
    > Rinse once or twice daily. Let sprouts grow to desired height. Rinse
    > and use for stir fries, salads, or sandwiches. If you start another
    > container a couple of days later you can have a continuous supply of
    > bean sprouts. Enjoy :)

    Wow, that does sound easy!

    If my BF complains about yet another foodie project going in our home,
    can I blame it on you? =)

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:28:28 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > L'Esperance <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    > >> test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    > >> of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    > >> salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    > >> this is cheap and very easy.

    > >It may be cheap, but IMHO it's not easy.
    > >I gave up on it finally. :-( They are so cheap to buy and I don't have
    > >to deal with unsuccesful batches. I'm not sure why they don't do well
    > >for me, but they don't.

    > Can you give me an idea what you do? I've been making my own since I
    > was a kid, and they always work fine for me.
    >
    > serene

    I have a widemouth quart jar with a sprouter lid.
    I put the seeds/beans in there, wet/rinse them a couple of times per day
    per instructions. The jar is placed upside down.

    They tend to rot/mold on me.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This website gives essentially the directions I use:
    >
    > http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-419/426-419.html

    The jar method using a plastic screened sprouter lid is what I have used.

    Granted, I've only tried to do alfalfa sprouts since they are my
    favorites...

    I might have to go ahead and try bean sprouts again.
    I have some old mung beans in a jar in the pantry.

    They are probably 5 or 6 years old but should be ok since they were
    stored in the dark and air tight.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  13. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > L'Espérance wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks Jude. Here's how I do bean sprouts. You can use any beans you
    >>want. I just happen to prefer mung beans. Rinse the beans then pour
    >>into an opague container such as a sour cream container. Cover with
    >>warm water, put the lid on just to cover but not tight, set aside for an
    >>hour or two. Drain and set container into dark cabinet. Keep the lid
    >>on but not tight to help preserve humidity level in the container.
    >>Rinse once or twice daily. Let sprouts grow to desired height. Rinse
    >>and use for stir fries, salads, or sandwiches. If you start another
    >>container a couple of days later you can have a continuous supply of
    >>bean sprouts. Enjoy :)

    > Wow, that does sound easy!
    >
    > If my BF complains about yet another foodie project going in our home,
    > can I blame it on you? =)

    You sure can :) While you're at it you should start some sourdough
    starter. That way your BF will be so interested in the bubbling mix, he
    might just forget about the bean sprouts. Once he tastes the fresh
    sprouts he will love this foodie project!

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    L'Espérance <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jude wrote:
    >
    > > L'Espérance wrote:
    > >
    > >>I don't think my posts are getting through so this is essentially an OT
    > >>test post. I started a batch of bean sprouts today as I have a couple
    > >>of Asian meals planned for the weekend and the sprouts will be great for
    > >>salads and sandwiches. For anyone who hasn't grown their own sprouts,
    > >>this is cheap and very easy.

    > > Your post got through to me. Your penance is that you now have to tell
    > > me how to growq bean sprouts, in exactling detail. Unfortunately, I
    > > have no idea where to get mung beans around here, so I can't make those
    > > kind for my stir-fries, but I do like the little srouted crunchy beans
    > > they sell for salads, which are lentils and peas and garbanzoes and all
    > > sorts of beans, sprouted, so I can do those......
    > >

    > Thanks Jude. Here's how I do bean sprouts. You can use any beans you
    > want. I just happen to prefer mung beans. Rinse the beans then pour
    > into an opague container such as a sour cream container. Cover with
    > warm water, put the lid on just to cover but not tight, set aside for an
    > hour or two. Drain and set container into dark cabinet. Keep the lid
    > on but not tight to help preserve humidity level in the container.
    > Rinse once or twice daily. Let sprouts grow to desired height. Rinse
    > and use for stir fries, salads, or sandwiches. If you start another
    > container a couple of days later you can have a continuous supply of
    > bean sprouts. Enjoy :)

    That sounds easy!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  15. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > serene <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:28:28 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    >><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>It may be cheap, but IMHO it's not easy.
    >>>I gave up on it finally. :-( They are so cheap to buy and I don't have
    >>>to deal with unsuccesful batches. I'm not sure why they don't do well
    >>>for me, but they don't.

    >>Can you give me an idea what you do? I've been making my own since I
    >>was a kid, and they always work fine for me.
    >>
    >>serene

    > I have a widemouth quart jar with a sprouter lid.
    > I put the seeds/beans in there, wet/rinse them a couple of times per day
    > per instructions. The jar is placed upside down.
    >
    > They tend to rot/mold on me.

    I'm not sure what a sprouting lid is but if the jar is placed upside
    down with no air to get at the sprouts, then of course they will rot or
    mold. I just use a sour cream container or similar, nothing fancy. The
    lid is placed not quite on top allowing air to circulate but slowing
    down moisture loss. The two tips to growing good sprouts is make sure
    they don't dry out and grow in the dark. Maybe if you try it this way
    you will have success?

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    L'Esperance <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >>Can you give me an idea what you do? I've been making my own since I
    > >>was a kid, and they always work fine for me.
    > >>
    > >>serene

    > > I have a widemouth quart jar with a sprouter lid.
    > > I put the seeds/beans in there, wet/rinse them a couple of times per day
    > > per instructions. The jar is placed upside down.
    > >
    > > They tend to rot/mold on me.

    > I'm not sure what a sprouting lid is but if the jar is placed upside
    > down with no air to get at the sprouts, then of course they will rot or
    > mold. I just use a sour cream container or similar, nothing fancy. The
    > lid is placed not quite on top allowing air to circulate but slowing
    > down moisture loss. The two tips to growing good sprouts is make sure
    > they don't dry out and grow in the dark. Maybe if you try it this way
    > you will have success?

    It sounds pretty easy! :)

    Do you do this with alfalfa sprouts?
    The seeds are pretty tiny, without a screen how do you keep them from
    floating away?

    You have a point. I might be accidently sealing the top when I place it
    upside down to drain!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  17. serene

    serene Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:03:15 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > serene <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Can you give me an idea what you do? I've been making my own since I
    >> was a kid, and they always work fine for me.
    >>
    >> serene

    >I have a widemouth quart jar with a sprouter lid.
    >I put the seeds/beans in there, wet/rinse them a couple of times per day
    >per instructions. The jar is placed upside down.

    All the way upside-down, or on an angle? Air needs to get in there.

    serene

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:03:15 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > serene <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Can you give me an idea what you do? I've been making my own since I
    > >> was a kid, and they always work fine for me.
    > >>
    > >> serene

    > >I have a widemouth quart jar with a sprouter lid.
    > >I put the seeds/beans in there, wet/rinse them a couple of times per day
    > >per instructions. The jar is placed upside down.

    > All the way upside-down, or on an angle? Air needs to get in there.
    >
    > serene

    It's been a very long time since I've tried, but that might very well
    have been my mistake! :)

    Thanks!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  19. serene

    serene Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:05:59 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > serene <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:03:15 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >I have a widemouth quart jar with a sprouter lid.
    >> >I put the seeds/beans in there, wet/rinse them a couple of times per day
    >> >per instructions. The jar is placed upside down.

    >> All the way upside-down, or on an angle? Air needs to get in there.
    >>
    >> serene

    >It's been a very long time since I've tried, but that might very well
    >have been my mistake! :)

    Well, I encourage you to try again if you have any interest in
    satisfying our scientific curiosity. :)

    serene

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:05:59 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > serene <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> All the way upside-down, or on an angle? Air needs to get in there.
    > >>
    > >> serene

    > >It's been a very long time since I've tried, but that might very well
    > >have been my mistake! :)

    > Well, I encourage you to try again if you have any interest in
    > satisfying our scientific curiosity. :)
    >
    > serene

    <lol> I do indeed!

    I even know where one of my sprouter lids are...
    It's not fine enough to do alfalfa, but it ought to work for sunflower,
    mung, lentil, or even brocolli!

    I'll letcha all know.
    --
    Peace, Om.