Test drove the old Follis! Wry humor content.

Methuselah

Guest
Background: Old Follis 472 was hanging on the garage wall for thirty
years.
We bought a pair of Specialized Expedition Elites and starting riding
again! GREAT! Adrenaline junkies again, turning back the odometer,
as it were.
Being comfort/Hybrids, people told me that a dedicated road bike would
probably start looking attractive as I got more used to fast
pavement..and indeed, I have found myself seeking higher gearing. (Got
good advice about "lugging" and cadence..thanks everyone!)
The Follises, from what I understand, had a good reputation, and I was
eager to get it cleaned, lubed, inflated, adjusted and going again.
Possibly it is the large frame size (27" wheels) but it is not going
to be my road bike, I guess. Yes, the seat is dried out, etc., but I
felt every pebble in the pavement, and the mechanical shock and
vibration were so pronounced that it actually was making my vision
jiggle. The Follis is undeniably faster and quicker handling than the
Expeditions, and I know that given equal riders, there is no way a
person on a comfort/hybrid would ever catch up to someone on the
Follis. That said, however, at this moment the only benefit that I
can see to riding it is to educate males to the pain of childbirth. I
feel like I filled my pants with broken crockery and sat on a paint
shaker.
So it appears this bike, or the way it was set up, or the seat, etc.
was the reason we stopped riding long ago.
Bikes have changed a lot since the '70's, and I will be the first to
admit I certainly have, also. But not in the direction of riding the
Follis.
Anybody local to SE Massachusetts want it? Make some token reasonable
offer and come get it.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Background: Old Follis 472 was hanging on the garage wall for thirty
> years.
> We bought a pair of Specialized Expedition Elites and starting riding
> again! GREAT! Adrenaline junkies again, turning back the odometer,
> as it were.
> Being comfort/Hybrids, people told me that a dedicated road bike would
> probably start looking attractive as I got more used to fast
> pavement..and indeed, I have found myself seeking higher gearing. (Got
> good advice about "lugging" and cadence..thanks everyone!)
> The Follises, from what I understand, had a good reputation, and I was
> eager to get it cleaned, lubed, inflated, adjusted and going again.
> Possibly it is the large frame size (27" wheels) but it is not going
> to be my road bike, I guess. Yes, the seat is dried out, etc., but I
> felt every pebble in the pavement, and the mechanical shock and
> vibration were so pronounced that it actually was making my vision
> jiggle. The Follis is undeniably faster and quicker handling than the
> Expeditions, and I know that given equal riders, there is no way a
> person on a comfort/hybrid would ever catch up to someone on the
> Follis. That said, however, at this moment the only benefit that I
> can see to riding it is to educate males to the pain of childbirth. I
> feel like I filled my pants with broken crockery and sat on a paint
> shaker.
> So it appears this bike, or the way it was set up, or the seat, etc.
> was the reason we stopped riding long ago.
> Bikes have changed a lot since the '70's, and I will be the first to
> admit I certainly have, also. But not in the direction of riding the
> Follis.
> Anybody local to SE Massachusetts want it? Make some token reasonable
> offer and come get it.

Is your e-mail address on the post good? I sent a message to it with an
offer, and it hasn't bounced yet. Or e-mail me: dkerber (at) ids (dot)
net.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

>Is your e-mail address on the post good?

Nope. I have been on the Net since it was ARPA,, and even then have
had to abandon too many good addresses due to spammer harvesting. No
way an addy gets archived on DejaVu et al.

>I sent a message to it with an
>offer, and it hasn't bounced yet. Or e-mail me:

Done. Here it comes!

Methuselah wrote:

>>Is your e-mail address on the post good?

> Nope. I have been on the Net since it was ARPA,, and even then have
> had to abandon too many good addresses due to spammer harvesting. No
> way an addy gets archived on DejaVu et al.

So, instead, you pass on the problem to some guy in Fremont, the actual
owner of anydomain.org

I hate you, Butler

>So, instead, you pass on the problem to some guy in Fremont, the actual
>owner of anydomain.org

Fixed. Just try to guess a name that has not been taken. Thanks for
the clue.

Methuselah wrote:

>>So, instead, you pass on the problem to some guy in Fremont, the actual
>>owner of anydomain.org

> Fixed.

You'll want to change the From: as well as the Reply-to: :)

> Just try to guess a name that has not been taken. Thanks for the clue.

No probs.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

>>>So, instead, you pass on the problem to some guy in Fremont, the actual
>>>owner of anydomain.org

Hey look:

whois whois.arin.net www.anydomain.org:

No match found for www.anydomain.org.

Ah well, it's modified anyway now.

Methuselah wrote:

> Hey look:
>
> whois whois.arin.net www.anydomain.org:
>
> No match found for www.anydomain.org.

Do it without the 'www'

Domain ID:D96669531-LROR
Domain Name:ANYDOMAIN.ORG
Created On:26-Mar-2003 00:00:08 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Mar-2004 06:30:15 UTC
Expiration Date:26-Mar-2005 00:00:08 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R42-LROR
Status:OK
Registrant ID:0-758337-Gandi
Registrant Name:Uber Hacker
Registrant Organization:Uber Hacker
Registrant Street1:1230 Beethoven Common
Registrant Street2:Apt 201
Registrant City:Fremont
Registrant State/Province:CA

etc.

"on day release from hopelessness"

"Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >So, instead, you pass on the problem to some guy in Fremont, the actual
> >owner of anydomain.org

> Fixed. Just try to guess a name that has not been taken. Thanks for
> the clue.

Use "mouse-potato.com" or "mousepotato.com". Why?

Ralph Sims, the founder of halcyon.com, my old beloved ISP, set up
mouse-potato.com and mousepotato.com as mail sink holes. These domains
resolve to 127.0.0.1, the universal "loopback" IP address which refers to
the local machine. For example, if I try to connect to mouse-potato.com, I
really just open a connection to the machine I'm typing on right now. If you
try to connect to mouse-potato.com, you merely connect to the machine your
typing on. And so on, universally, across the entire Internet.

Thus: anyone who tries to send spam email to an address in the
mouse-potato.com or mousepotato.com domain not only fails to get their
message to a real person, the message *never leaves the machine they're
using to send the message*. You get it? The spam not only fails to harass
real people, but also fails to bog down servers, routers, and connections,
across the entire Internet. The mouse-potato/mousepotato addresses are ideal
for things like Usenet which are heavily mined by spammers for "fresh" email
addresses.

I turned to munging my email address relatively recently, using the
mouse-potato domain, after about 10 years of posting to Usenet with my real
name and address. It was the swen.gibe virus that drove me to that practice.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

> "Methuselah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > >So, instead, you pass on the problem to some guy in Fremont, the actual
> > >owner of anydomain.org

> > Fixed. Just try to guess a name that has not been taken. Thanks for
> > the clue.

> Use "mouse-potato.com" or "mousepotato.com". Why?
>
> Ralph Sims, the founder of halcyon.com, my old beloved ISP, set up
> mouse-potato.com and mousepotato.com as mail sink holes. These domains
> resolve to 127.0.0.1, the universal "loopback" IP address which refers to
> the local machine. For example, if I try to connect to mouse-potato.com, I
> really just open a connection to the machine I'm typing on right now. If

you
> try to connect to mouse-potato.com, you merely connect to the machine your
> typing on. And so on, universally, across the entire Internet.
>
> Thus: anyone who tries to send spam email to an address in the
> mouse-potato.com or mousepotato.com domain not only fails to get their
> message to a real person, the message *never leaves the machine they're
> using to send the message*. You get it? The spam not only fails to harass
> real people, but also fails to bog down servers, routers, and connections,
> across the entire Internet. The mouse-potato/mousepotato addresses are

ideal
> for things like Usenet which are heavily mined by spammers for "fresh"

email
> addresses.
>
> I turned to munging my email address relatively recently, using the
> mouse-potato domain, after about 10 years of posting to Usenet with my

real
> name and address. It was the swen.gibe virus that drove me to that

practice.

Thanks Claire! I just changed my Usenet email address to the domain you
suggested. I had been using schwinn.com, but I don't feel too bad about that
since they're not really Schwinn anymore. Your tip is very useful.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:16:00 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ralph Sims, the founder of halcyon.com, my old beloved ISP, set up
>mouse-potato.com and mousepotato.com as mail sink holes. These domains
>resolve to 127.0.0.1, the universal "loopback" IP address which refers to
>the local machine. For example, if I try to connect to mouse-potato.com, I

>I turned to munging my email address relatively recently, using the
>mouse-potato domain, after about 10 years of posting to Usenet with my real
>name and address. It was the swen.gibe virus that drove me to that practice.

Great idea. I'm gonna do that too.

Michael J. Klein

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> >Is your e-mail address on the post good?

> Nope. I have been on the Net since it was ARPA,, and even then have
> had to abandon too many good addresses due to spammer harvesting. No
> way an addy gets archived on DejaVu et al.
>
> >I sent a message to it with an
> >offer, and it hasn't bounced yet. Or e-mail me:

> Done. Here it comes!

I got it; did you get my answering e-mails?

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

>I got it; did you get my answering e-mails?

Yes, sorry! I learned that family politics were afoot, and a
sister-in-law has grabbed it. Got behind in my mails.
Now she had better ride it!
*blush*

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:34:00 -0400, Methuselah
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Yes, sorry! I learned that family politics were afoot, and a
>sister-in-law has grabbed it. Got behind in my mails.
>Now she had better ride it!
>*blush*

I thought there were two Follises (Folli?)...
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> >I got it; did you get my answering e-mails?

> Yes, sorry! I learned that family politics were afoot, and a
> sister-in-law has grabbed it. Got behind in my mails.
> Now she had better ride it!

If she doesn't, my offer still stands!

newsgroups if possible).