Test of 20 minutes...

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by gontxo_nos, Jan 20, 2016.

1. gontxo_nos

gontxo_nos New Member

Hi, I'm currently training by heart rate. I took the test 20 minutes before starting the base.

Soon I will finish the base, need to do another test 20 minutes or this is not necessary?.

Some have told me that for training by heart rate is not necessary. Trained by watts if that would be necessary for training short series of high intensity.

What should I do?. The ideal is a potentiometer, but I can't buy at present.

Thanks! ;).

Tags:

2. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

Listen to the pro's.

3. Nigel Doyle

Nigel Doyle Member

Best results are to be had training with power. If you have a trainer then you can train with virtual power using Trainerroad.com. Although I wear a heart rate monitor, power and training with power is my main focus.

4. Power Meter City

Training with a heart rate monitor is great and definitely better than training without one. However as Nigel points, out, training with a power meter is superior. The absolute best combination is to use both!

5. BrianMacDonald

BrianMacDonald New Member

Since no one addressed the OP's question I will try. The answer is that you probably don't need to retest. Your max heart rate will not change that much as a result of training. As others have pointed out the power that you can generate at your max heart rate (or any other heart rate) will change dramatically in response to structured training, but you have indicated that is not available to you right now. Follow a structured program based on time spent in various heart rate zones and you will most likely improve. Then consider upgrading to a power meter when you can.

Good luck.

6. Toad734

Toad734 New Member

But a heart rate monitor is significantly cheaper than a power meter...Not everyone can afford that.

Are you determining your max based on a 20 minute effort?

And I sort of have a question of my own regarding heart rate and using that as a training metric...What exactly is "Max heart rate" and how do you determine that? Is it peak? is it what you hold for a minute or is it what you can average over a long period of time like 20 minutes?

I guess I will also post a similar question in my own thread..

7. BrianMacDonald

It is what you average over some long test period like 20 minutes under race conditions. Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR) is another term for it.

8. Toad734

Toad734 New Member

Ah! So average over a period of time, not peak! Thanks

9. krnd

krnd New Member

So would you guys recommend a power meter as an investment over a heart rate monitor? I'm interested on knowing more info regarding this

10. BrianMacDonald

Definitely!. A power meter measures the force you are putting into the rear wheel. Heart rate is affected by a host of factors including (but not limited to): hydration, level of fatigue, stress, caffeine or other drugs, etc. Measuring power is significantly more expensive though.

11. cyclenthusias44

A must watch video for everyone. I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

12. cyclenthusias44

I agree with you. Using both is a great idea. This is the best combination.