test ride

prhino

Jan 11, 2006
Do most LBS in Australian offer test rides? I asked for a short spin on a trainer at my LBS, and they said they don't allow that as it will make it fairly obvious the bike has been used. They also said most Australian LBS won't allow test rides. Is this correct?

No problems here in WA, although its normally just to see if it fits OK, "around the car park". Having said that I know of a MTB shop that hires quality bikes by the day/week, this leads to sales! :)

Not only is it not the case that most LBSs won't allow test rides, but you should also avoid this LBS like the plague. Any LBS that won't allow a try before buying demonstrates a complete disregard for their customers.

:mad: Thats pretty poor service in my opinion :mad: . When I went searching for my bike, I went to three different bike shops and tested at least 2 bikes in each shop. Each were very friendly and offered test rides even before I asked for them.

You may even want to tell us who this shop is so we can avoid it in the future.

BTW, where are you located?

Test rides are a given. That LBS must have only 1 bike in their stock. Normally a LBS will have a floor model of most of their line's models, and each one in a different size to another model, so you can test for size on a slightly different model if the one you're after is not of the right size.

+1 on the avoid advice.

I'm located in Melbourne. They have a pretty good price on a bike that I'm pretty keen on getting. And the bikes seem to be really well built. A bit of a conundrum for me.

prhino said:
I'm located in Melbourne. They have a pretty good price on a bike that I'm pretty keen on getting. And the bikes seem to be really well built. A bit of a conundrum for me.
They don't deserve your business. Take your price to a good shop and see if they'll match.

Or you could tell them the difference between test riding or not is buying or not.

"They don't deserve your business. Take your price to a good shop and see if they'll match."

Does anybody know any good Felt dealers in Melbourne? I'm after the F75.

We have an EXCELLENT FELT Dealer here in Perth (Runners), the nearest I can personally recommend is Dean Woods in Wangaratta.. :(

There is only $60 in it. A weekend in Wangaratta would give you the satisfaction of a perfect fit. I'm sure Dean Woods would price match if you are coming from Melbourne. Give him a call.

artemidorus said:
They don't deserve your business. Take your price to a good shop and see if they'll match.

Sometimes, i dont mind paying a little extra, if the service provided is superior. I work in a retail environment so receiving good service is something I do look for. Nothing to stop you asking about a price match however :p

Ash

prhino said:
Does anybody know any good Felt dealers in Melbourne? I'm after the F75.
I bought my F70 from Bicycle Superstore out in Ferntree Gully. That particular store is now closed, but the guy I delt with is now at their Dandenong store. Not sure if they have the F75 in stock.
At the time I was looking at Avanti, and Felt. The Avanti dealer I went to is a large chain store. I asked for a test ride, and they said it was against their policy, or insurance, or some other lame excuse. They said they could set up the bike on a trainer, but I would have to come back during the week, as it was too busy on weekends to set it up.
I went to Bicycle Superstore to look at the Felt F70, and they asked if I had shoes. I told them this was my first road bike, so they swapped the pedals for flat ones so I could ride in my runners. Took my licence, and I was off for a 30 minute ride.
I then asked if they could price match another store which had it on special. They could, so I bought it that afternoon.

Another store I've seen the F75 is the Melbourne Bicycle center in Prahran. I bought my daughter a bike from them for christmas, and they provided pretty good service. I'm not sure about their test ride policy.

peterlip said:
There is also a Melbourne Bicycle Centre in Clifton Hill, and they're advertising the F75 for $1849, see http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/

On the about page, they say "Test Track also available."
whatever that means....
There's some space in the backyard of the shop (about 10m x 25m) where you can do a few turns of the pedals. It's gravel and has a few small berms. Not suitable for testing road bikes and really doesn't give you much idea for MTBs, but might help in bike setup and sizing.

When I was looking for a dually a couple of years ago, all of the better shops here in Melbourne that have MTBs let me take them out for a spin and only one asked me to leave a license. That might have been the only place I didn't ride to and leave my hardtail which is probably worth a small fraction of the bikes I tried. It wasn't easy finding rough roads or parks to really test them out though.

I'd agree about not shopping at a place that doesn't provide test rides. That's ****!

Here in the West when I have been shopping for a new bike and give details of what I am after, the bike shops I have been to provide me with the appropriate matches and always offer me a test ride, even before I ask. The bikes I am testing are not cheap ones either.

I would always like to test a bike before purchasing it unless it is some super bargain on the Internet where testing is not practical, but I am familiar with the geometry of the bike and have tested something identical or very similar.

James

Well, I followed the wisdom of the crowd and bough the bike from a different shop.

Great Choice!!!

Did you end up buying the F75? I really liked the Felt bikes. One day I will have one.....:p

peterlip said:
There is also a Melbourne Bicycle Centre in Clifton Hill, and they're advertising the F75 for $1849, see http://www.melbournebicycle.com.au/

On the about page, they say "Test Track also available."
whatever that means....

I bought my flat bar roady from there, good people to deal with, and even allowed me to take the bike for a more extended ride on the service road nearby.

Yes only a small thing out the back if you don't want to go on the road but ask for a road test i'm sure they might accomodate.