test ride

HT606 said:
Great Choice!!!

Did you end up buying the F75? I really liked the Felt bikes. One day I will have one.....:p
Yes, I ended up buying the F75. I paid an extra $50 over what I would have paid at the other place, but I think it was worth it.

The funny thing is, I didn't notice how mis-matched the componentry is on the Felt bikes. You get a bit of Ultegra, a bit of 105, a bit of no-name. It's kind of bugging me, but I guess it doesn't matter.

prhino said:
Yes, I ended up buying the F75. I paid an extra $50 over what I would have paid at the other place, but I think it was worth it.

The funny thing is, I didn't notice how mis-matched the componentry is on the Felt bikes. You get a bit of Ultegra, a bit of 105, a bit of no-name. It's kind of bugging me, but I guess it doesn't matter.
Do not let it bug you.....most bike mobs do it untill they get near the top level cause it always sounds good to say Ultegra even if it is only one component ie rear derailleur.

prhino said:

They do this to give you the best bang for your buck. Why pay the extra cost for the better front derailer, when you use so rarely.

peterlip said:
They do this to give you the best bang for your buck. Why pay the extra cost for the better front derailer, when you use so rarely.
I don't share your benevolent view of the manufacturers. If I were to choose one part of a higher groupset, I'd go for shifters, followed by crankset/BB. The RD makes bugger all shifting difference, bugger all weight difference, and, especially at manufacturer's wholesale rates, little cost difference.
It's a marketing con; we all look at the RD to "identify" the quality level of a bike. It's a cheap and easy way of having a bike seem one quality rung higher.
Doesn't mean it isn't a good bike, 'though. ;)

Just a follow-up, I've had my Felt F75 for a few weeks now and am loving it. I did the BRW triathlon on it last weekend and it went great.

I notice that Dean Woods now have it on special for $1649, which is a really nice price, and $250 less than I paid!