Test Riding A New Bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Albert Dixon, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Albert Dixon

    Albert Dixon Guest

    I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to a Road
    Bike.
    My question is, do Bike Shops let you take a demo bike ? for a good ride.
    I mean I don't want to ride around the block.
    I want to ride it for a 50k ride so that I can get the feel if I will like
    the new setup as compared to my MTB, like will I get a sore back ect ect.
    Do they let you do it ?

    kind regards,
    Albert

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    They'll only let you do it if you ask nicely.

    Otoh, it might take a while to get the bike fitted properly, so the time might be better spent on the bike on a trainer in the shop. The shop person mightn't be very helpful, but if you're going to spend at least a grand or two, then it is in their interest to work with you for an hour or two.

    Good luck in your search,

    Ritch

  3. Guest

    They probably might let you take it for a good decent ride if you give them
    your credit card number....so, if in the event of an accident or vandalism
    or theft, they can charge you either for the cost of the bike or perhaps the
    repairs but i'd dare say it to be the cost of the bike.
    The old "you prang it, you buy it" system

    DJ
    "Albert Dixon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to a

    Road
    > Bike.
    > My question is, do Bike Shops let you take a demo bike ? for a good ride.
    > I mean I don't want to ride around the block.
    > I want to ride it for a 50k ride so that I can get the feel if I will like
    > the new setup as compared to my MTB, like will I get a sore back ect ect.
    > Do they let you do it ?
    >
    > kind regards,
    > Albert

  4. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    "Upgrade"??? That's a good way to start a fight . . . ;) :confused: :eek:

    You might be able to convince the shop to let you join their group ride (if applicable), leave your old bike and drivers licence, credit card, spouse, firstborn child, or other collateral, after being set up (NPI) with the right length bars, stem, et c. You can swap your own pedals onto it more often than not.

    The more definite you are about a particular make and model, the more disposed a shop will be - sniffing a sale in the wind, not just a tire-kicker.

    If it's just any old road bike you're after, some shops have generic hire roadies. Ask around.

    M "ride-offs are a theft statistic too bizarre (and stupid) to claim on" H

  5. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Albert Dixon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have had a Mountain Bike all my life and I would like to upgrade to
    > a Road Bike.

    Upgrade???

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  6. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?
    A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the previous poster has just written, thereby advancing the discussion by not one iota, and when you see their ID, getting you to jump into the thread, in the hope of a good verbal stoush, then realise the above has happened. Sheesh.:p

    M "robust debate with the usual suspects"H

  7. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?
    > A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the

    You are wrongly assuming that every post has propagated to every server at
    the time of posting. That is never a safe assumption on Usenet.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  8. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    >>> Q: What's the second most annoying thing on Usenet?
    worse?
    >>> A: People who don't read the whole thread and exactly repeat what the
    or

    better,
    >>You are wrongly assuming that every post has propagated to every server
    this
    >>at
    Is
    >>the time of posting. That is never a safe assumption on Usenet.

    know?
    >A: Top-posters.
    don't
    >Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  9. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Well, sorry for my lack of couth.

    But I said it first. Nya Nya nya nya nya.