Test - sorry in advance. I'm missing several NGs

Status

James Hodson

Guest
Hi all

The subject says it all. NTL seems to have "removed" comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

And yes, I know alt.test is up there ^^^^ somewhere.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
So have you passed???

Yes, all the old ones creep out at a time like this.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

James Hodson

Guest
On 11 Apr 2003 10:32:33 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>So have you passed??? Yes, all the old ones creep out at a time like this.

Hi Helen

Passed what?

I need my NGs. Yesterday I had access to around 50K groups. Today I have about half that. I've just
read a couple of NTL-specific groups. And surprise, surprise, all the NTL groups are still there.

James

--

On 11 Apr 2003 11:13:50 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>The test ;-)

No. I'm still a failure.

>Do you read these 50K groups??? If yes, do you sleep, do you eat?????

Of course I don't read 'em all, Helen. Anyway, sleeping and eating is for wimps ;-) However, I was
half way through a thread that I wanted to continue in the comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows NG

Moreover, ALL of the comp.* hierarchy has disappeared.

Breaking news: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows has just reappeared. Or rather, my latest post has.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Smudger

Guest
> >Breaking news: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows has just reappeared. Or rather, my latest post has.
>
> Well, look on the bright side - you aren't completely cut off in your
prime :)

> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
> reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd

Hmmm - romance in the air?

Chris French

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
<[email protected]> writes
>On 11 Apr 2003 10:32:33 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
>
>>So have you passed??? Yes, all the old ones creep out at a time like this.
>>

>Hi Helen
>
>Passed what?
>
>I need my NGs. Yesterday I had access to around 50K groups. Today I have about half that. I've just
>read a couple of NTL-specific groups. And surprise, surprise, all the NTL groups are still there.

Sorry, anyone who uses the NTL server except when the absolutely have to has failed the
test...........
--
Chris French, Leeds

Stan Cox

Guest
"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 11 Apr 2003 11:13:50 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
<snip>
> Moreover, ALL of the comp.* hierarchy has disappeared.
>
> Breaking news: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows has just reappeared. Or rather, my latest post has.

yes but this morning all of rec.* has vanished. NTLs newsgroup service is awful.

Stan Cox

Si Davies

Guest
sorry, just hijacking this test for a test of my own...

On 12 Apr 2003 12:19:57 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>>Hmmm - romance in the air?
>
>Well, my t'other half did go out and buy me a brand new stereo, CD, mini-disc system thinggie this
>morning. So perhaps ;-)

I'd rather not mess with the Simmons trio. Anyone or any family who owns, never mind operate, a
system thinggie has my utmost respect.

BTW, s'funny how the word respect is now used along the lines of "respect me 'cos I've gotta big
knife, or else".

James

--

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:34:35 +0100, "Si Davies" <[email protected]> wrote:

>sorry, just hijacking this test for a test of my own...

Works OK from my POV.

James

--

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:19:30 +0100, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry, anyone who uses the NTL server except when the absolutely have to has failed the
>test...........

Yebbut, some of us are gluttons for punishment. When it works it's very, very average, when it
doesn't work it's about the same.

James

--

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:18:01 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

>yes but this morning all of rec.* has vanished. NTLs newsgroup service is awful.

Hi Stan

Welcome to the world of "always connected" - "always conected" being an advertising name or
trademank, according to NTL. "Always" certainly does not mean always.

BTW, similarly the word "unlimited". "Unlimited" means no more that an average of one Gig per day,
or else. Considering I downloaded about 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Tony Raven

Guest
wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Especially when paving slabs or Toblerones are wielded as weapons - Toblerones drawn at dawn!!

I'd rather eat them than draw them ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

Simon Hay

Guest
James Hodson wrote:

> Considering I downloaded about 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.

Ouch! 25 *GB* of Windows updates? Really?

I would have thought you could download an entire copy of every version of Windows ever made and
still have it clock in under that...

(/me checks progress of 6-CD Red Hat 9 download... :)

Simon

Stan Cox

Guest
"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:18:01 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >yes but this morning all of rec.* has vanished. NTLs newsgroup service is awful.
> >

> Hi Stan
>
> Welcome to the world of "always connected" - "always conected" being an advertising name or
> trademank, according to NTL. "Always" certainly does not mean always.
>
> BTW, similarly the word "unlimited". "Unlimited" means no more that an average of one Gig per day,
> or else. Considering I downloaded about 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.
>
> James
Hi James. Its a belated welcome as I have been on NTL broadband since it became available here over
a year and a half ago. Their newsgroup service is getting worse though. 25GB of updates geeesh what
are you running? All the best

Stan Cox

Chris French

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
<[email protected]> writes
>On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:19:30 +0100, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Sorry, anyone who uses the NTL server except when the absolutely have to has failed the
>>test...........
>
>Yebbut, some of us are gluttons for punishment. When it works it's very, very average, when it
>doesn't work it's about the same.

Since the only groups NTL supplies that I want and I can't get elsewhere are the ntl.* groups,
making other reliable arrangements for most of my other newsgroups seemed a more sensible option.

But you are welcome to continue to enjoy your particular pleasures as you wish :)
--
Chris French, Leeds

Tim Woodall

Guest
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:54:10 +0100, Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote:
> James Hodson wrote:
>
> > Considering I downloaded about
>> 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.
>
> Ouch! 25 *GB* of Windows updates? Really?
>
> I would have thought you could download an entire copy of every version of Windows ever made and
> still have it clock in under that...
>
> (/me checks progress of 6-CD Red Hat 9 download... :)

Quite a healthy bandwidth as well to get 25Gb in a day. About a 2Mb connection flat out for 24 hours
if my sums are correct.

Tim.

James Hodson

Guest
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:16:07 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd rather eat them than draw them ;-)

I can't draw. Will a raytraced triangle do instead?

James

--

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 21:06:31 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Its a belated welcome as I have been on NTL broadband since it became available here over a year
> and a half ago. Their newsgroup service is getting worse though. 25GB of updates geeesh what are
> you running? All the best

Hi Stan

That 25Mb was just a regular XP update/install of whatever it was that seemed important at the time.
I have the 600kbps connection and 1 meg takes about 20secs.

If you're having NG problems, Stan, try using text.news.ntlworld.com as your server. As the name
suggests, this is for text-only groups.

James

--

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:33:52 +0100, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

>But you are welcome to continue to enjoy your particular pleasures as you wish :)

LOL. I read only text NGs so text.news.ntlworld.com is normally absolutely fine. It just suffered
from a serious case of hiccoughs a few days ago.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Status