Test - sorry in advance. I'm missing several NGs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Hodson, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    Hi all

    The subject says it all. NTL seems to have "removed" comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

    And yes, I know alt.test is up there ^^^^ somewhere.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

    Tags:

  2. So have you passed???

    Yes, all the old ones creep out at a time like this.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 11 Apr 2003 10:32:33 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >So have you passed??? Yes, all the old ones creep out at a time like this.

    Hi Helen

    Passed what?

    I need my NGs. Yesterday I had access to around 50K groups. Today I have about half that. I've just
    read a couple of NTL-specific groups. And surprise, surprise, all the NTL groups are still there.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  4. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 11 Apr 2003 11:13:50 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >The test ;-)

    No. I'm still a failure.

    >Do you read these 50K groups??? If yes, do you sleep, do you eat?????

    Of course I don't read 'em all, Helen. Anyway, sleeping and eating is for wimps ;-) However, I was
    half way through a thread that I wanted to continue in the comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows NG

    Moreover, ALL of the comp.* hierarchy has disappeared.

    Breaking news: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows has just reappeared. Or rather, my latest post has.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  5. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > >Breaking news: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows has just reappeared. Or rather, my latest post has.
    >
    > Well, look on the bright side - you aren't completely cut off in your
    prime :)

    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd

    Hmmm - romance in the air?

  6. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 11 Apr 2003 10:32:33 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >
    >>So have you passed??? Yes, all the old ones creep out at a time like this.
    >>

    >Hi Helen
    >
    >Passed what?
    >
    >I need my NGs. Yesterday I had access to around 50K groups. Today I have about half that. I've just
    >read a couple of NTL-specific groups. And surprise, surprise, all the NTL groups are still there.

    Sorry, anyone who uses the NTL server except when the absolutely have to has failed the
    test...........
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  7. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 11 Apr 2003 11:13:50 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    <snip>
    > Moreover, ALL of the comp.* hierarchy has disappeared.
    >
    > Breaking news: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows has just reappeared. Or rather, my latest post has.

    yes but this morning all of rec.* has vanished. NTLs newsgroup service is awful.

    Stan Cox

  8. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    sorry, just hijacking this test for a test of my own...

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > The subject says it all. NTL seems to have "removed" comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
    >
    > And yes, I know alt.test is up there ^^^^ somewhere.
    >
    > James
    >
    > --
    > A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 12 Apr 2003 12:19:57 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >>Hmmm - romance in the air?
    >
    >Well, my t'other half did go out and buy me a brand new stereo, CD, mini-disc system thinggie this
    >morning. So perhaps ;-)

    I'd rather not mess with the Simmons trio. Anyone or any family who owns, never mind operate, a
    system thinggie has my utmost respect.

    BTW, s'funny how the word respect is now used along the lines of "respect me 'cos I've gotta big
    knife, or else".

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:34:35 +0100, "Si Davies" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >sorry, just hijacking this test for a test of my own...

    Works OK from my POV.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:19:30 +0100, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry, anyone who uses the NTL server except when the absolutely have to has failed the
    >test...........

    Yebbut, some of us are gluttons for punishment. When it works it's very, very average, when it
    doesn't work it's about the same.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  12. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:18:01 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >yes but this morning all of rec.* has vanished. NTLs newsgroup service is awful.

    Hi Stan

    Welcome to the world of "always connected" - "always conected" being an advertising name or
    trademank, according to NTL. "Always" certainly does not mean always.

    BTW, similarly the word "unlimited". "Unlimited" means no more that an average of one Gig per day,
    or else. Considering I downloaded about 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Especially when paving slabs or Toblerones are wielded as weapons - Toblerones drawn at dawn!!

    I'd rather eat them than draw them ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  14. Simon Hay

    Simon Hay Guest

    James Hodson wrote:

    > Considering I downloaded about 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.

    Ouch! 25 *GB* of Windows updates? Really?

    I would have thought you could download an entire copy of every version of Windows ever made and
    still have it clock in under that...

    (/me checks progress of 6-CD Red Hat 9 download... :)

    Simon

  15. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:18:01 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >yes but this morning all of rec.* has vanished. NTLs newsgroup service is awful.
    > >

    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Welcome to the world of "always connected" - "always conected" being an advertising name or
    > trademank, according to NTL. "Always" certainly does not mean always.
    >
    > BTW, similarly the word "unlimited". "Unlimited" means no more that an average of one Gig per day,
    > or else. Considering I downloaded about 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.
    >
    > James
    Hi James. Its a belated welcome as I have been on NTL broadband since it became available here over
    a year and a half ago. Their newsgroup service is getting worse though. 25GB of updates geeesh what
    are you running? All the best

    Stan Cox

  16. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, James Hodson
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:19:30 +0100, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry, anyone who uses the NTL server except when the absolutely have to has failed the
    >>test...........
    >
    >Yebbut, some of us are gluttons for punishment. When it works it's very, very average, when it
    >doesn't work it's about the same.

    Since the only groups NTL supplies that I want and I can't get elsewhere are the ntl.* groups,
    making other reliable arrangements for most of my other newsgroups seemed a more sensible option.

    But you are welcome to continue to enjoy your particular pleasures as you wish :)
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  17. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:54:10 +0100, Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote:
    > James Hodson wrote:
    >
    > > Considering I downloaded about
    >> 25G of Windows' updates yesterday, 1Gb is hardly a lot.
    >
    > Ouch! 25 *GB* of Windows updates? Really?
    >
    > I would have thought you could download an entire copy of every version of Windows ever made and
    > still have it clock in under that...
    >
    > (/me checks progress of 6-CD Red Hat 9 download... :)

    Quite a healthy bandwidth as well to get 25Gb in a day. About a 2Mb connection flat out for 24 hours
    if my sums are correct.

    Tim.

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:16:07 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd rather eat them than draw them ;-)

    I can't draw. Will a raytraced triangle do instead?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  19. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 21:06:31 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Its a belated welcome as I have been on NTL broadband since it became available here over a year
    > and a half ago. Their newsgroup service is getting worse though. 25GB of updates geeesh what are
    > you running? All the best

    Hi Stan

    That 25Mb was just a regular XP update/install of whatever it was that seemed important at the time.
    I have the 600kbps connection and 1 meg takes about 20secs.

    If you're having NG problems, Stan, try using text.news.ntlworld.com as your server. As the name
    suggests, this is for text-only groups.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  20. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:33:52 +0100, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But you are welcome to continue to enjoy your particular pleasures as you wish :)

    LOL. I read only text NGs so text.news.ntlworld.com is normally absolutely fine. It just suffered
    from a serious case of hiccoughs a few days ago.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.