testing for mineral deficiencies?

L

Lacustral

What's the best kind of testing for mineral deficiencies? is it better to get testing through a
doctor -- like blood tests that only a doctor can order -- or is urine or hair testing accurate?

thanks Laura

What is your concern about your mineral status, is it a general view to
making sure it is ok? A doc will do blood and/or urine tests depending on
what mineral is in question, based on observable symptoms that suggest a
problem. As for hair tests, please read this as to what faith might be
placed in them:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/hair.html

>What's the best kind of testing for mineral deficiencies? is it better to get testing through a
>doctor -- like blood tests that only a doctor can order -- or is urine or hair testing accurate?
>
>thanks Laura

Lacustral wrote:

> What's the best kind of testing for mineral deficiencies? is it better to get testing through a
> doctor -- like blood tests that only a doctor can order -- or is urine or hair testing accurate?
>
> thanks Laura

Actually taking the minerals and seeing how they influence your psychological state can be effective
to a degree. You have to be cautious and know what you're doing, though.

The way I would do this is to confirm with a docter my copper syndroms, which might be from some
other source. Taking a shotgun approach doesn't seem to be really helpful,ie. looking at everything
at once in the absence of specific symptoms. As for urine tests, these only show how much is being
shed from the body at any given time. How would you know if that is a problem or not and how could
you deduce from this the amount stored in the body? Some minerals are not lost through the urine but
through the gut, that is why it is better to measure directly what is in the blood or other body
stores. But speciffically looking at your symptoms to which you relate copper, get the doctor to do
the best test for copper levels, if it is concluded there is indeed concern copper is involved in
the first place.

>I want to check a lot of different minerals -- for example, I have a lot of symptoms of copper
>deficiency, but I don't want to just take copper supplements because they can be bad for you if you
>aren't copper deficient.
>
>There are various labs that advertise urine tests for 50 different minerals or so, for only about
>$90. Is the testing that a doctor would order better than what these labs offer?
>
>thanks Laura

In misc.health.alternative Lacustral <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's the best kind of testing for mineral deficiencies?
> is it better to get testing through a doctor -- like blood
> tests that only a doctor can order -- or is urine or hair
> testing accurate?

There are analysis laboratories that will perform
elemental hair analysis. Reputable firms usually work
primarily via physicians, although there are probably
exceptions, as per usual...

--
_o Kristofer Dale, _ \<,_ ragged individualist,
_____( )/ ( )_____ statistic at large...

p.s. Learn and live, http://www.vitaletherapeutics.org