testing tools? Which?

rotorua

Nov 12, 2008
Hi all
I have the chance to guide a technical college in setting up their lab space. For the last year we have carried out MAP tests on our MTB and XTERRA athletes using my computrainer. This has been starting to be more and more unreliable (its old). I have looked at the wattbike and the Tacx bushido, I use an Imagic at home for other athletes and find it very easy to use.

any recomendations? within a say 2k budget?

cheers
John Lee
John Lee Cycling Coaching

All though not highly accurate the new power-taps can be switched easily from bike to bike. Combined with your old computrainer you should beable to interoplate a reasonably accurate result.

Honestly John, find more money! We have a Computrainer at CPIT and it works really well. The Uni has an SRM erg that is good as well.

Cheers Hamish
hmm Grant application time, yeah I was thinking USD 2k ish. Can get a Tacx Bushido for 3k (nzd). and I really like the ability to put a riders own bike on as it gives me a chance to assess the set up as well.

the CT is just p#$ing me off as it is always having problems communicating with the PC and occasionally just drops all its resistance half way through a MAP. The PC is used for other things as well.

Thought you were talking the NZ Peso so all good. Is the Tacx up to Level 2 lab standard?

Kurt Kinetic?

At the SI Academy of Sport they do have the WattBikes. Had Justin Leov on one and his pedalling is 50-50. Guess we can postpone that Gimmickcrank purchase.

They also have a Velodyne although when playing lab rat for a 20km test I found it hard to get a good set up and didn't like the resistance on it.

Velotrons have become quite popular for institutional use since they're several times less expensive than SRM or Lode ergometers.