Testosterone Boosters and cylcling?????

Braaaaap194

Feb 22, 2011
Hello,

I overheard some guys at the gym talking about T-Boosters and how they helped them with their workouts and recovery. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these, and if so what were the results. Thanks in advance for your information

I'm not sure what kind of testosterone boosters you mean, I've never used steroids, but I have used saw palmetto and sarsaparilla, and they seemed to enhance my endurance.

UOW,

Thanks for the input! I was not talking of steroids,just the T-booster supplements that you can get at any health store.

If you try any, make sure it's produced by a reputable company, several riders have tested positive because of contaminated supplements over the years.

Food supplement test results
Code:
 [B]Country [/B][B]No. tested No.'positive' % 'positive'[/B] Netherlands 31 8 25.80% Austria 22 5 22.70% UK 37 7 18.90% USA 240 45 18.80% Italy 35 5 14.30% Spain 29 4 13.80% Germany 129 15 11.60% Belgium 30 2 6.70% France 30 2 6.70% Norway 30 1 3.30% Switzerland 13 - - Sweden 6 - - Hungary 2 - - Total 634 94 14.80% *'Positive' means number/% of supplements containing banned substances

You cant take testosterone orally. You can go to your doctor and tell him you are disappointing your wife and he can prescribe testmin ointment that you apply topically.

davereo said:
You cant take testosterone orally. You can go to your doctor and tell him you are disappointing your wife and he can prescribe testmin ointment that you apply topically.
Thats right, the T-boosters are basically snake oil.

Not sure where everyone is located, but DHEA is available in the U.S. and increases testosterone, blunts cortisol, and generally helps with depression. It is banned by USA Cycling and the UCI, but none the less it sold over the counter.

Certain types of mushrooms have aromatase enzyme inhibitors and as such prevents testosterone from being converted to estrogen, a trend that increases with age.

Tom
http://cycnut.com

Tom,

Have you used DHEA before??? If so, where did you buy and also what did you buy?? Any side effects???

I think the only way DHEA will enhance your endurance, is if it improves/decreases your recovery time. It doesn't appear to be very effective and you also need to be concerned with the associated health risks. The following is from wikipedia;

Performance DHEA supplements are sometimes used as muscle-building or performance-enhancing drugs by athletes. However, a randomized placebo-controlled trial found that DHEA supplementation had no (statistically significant) effect on lean body mass, strength, or testosterone levels.

Cardiovascular disease and risk of death A 1986 study found that a higher level of endogenous DHEA, as determined by a single measurement, correlated with a lower risk of death or cardiovascular disease. However, a more recent 2006 study found no correlation between DHEA levels and risk of cardiovascular disease or death in men. A 2007 study found the DHEA restored oxidative balance in diabetic patients, reducing tissue levels of pentosidine—a biomarker for advanced glycation endproducts.

Cancer Some in vitro studies have found DHEA to have both anti-proliferative and yet also apoptotic effect on cancer cell lines.The clinical significance of these findings, if any, is unknown. Higher levels of DHEA and other endogenous sex hormones are strongly associated with an increased risk of developing breast cancer in both pre- and postmenopausal women.

Diabetes and carotid atherosclerosis A 2005 study, measured serum DHEA in 206 men with type-2 diabetes, and found an inverse relationship between serum DHEA and carotid atherosclerosis in men. The authors say the study "supports the notion that DHEA, which is sold in increasing amount as a food supplement, is atheroprotective in humans, and that androgen replacement therapy should be considered for men with hypogonadism."

Yes, I use DHEA. I actually use a small dose of 12.5 mg/day, which is close to a physological replacement doses. I have an autoimmune disease that attacks my peripheral nervous system (CIDP - chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy). DHEA is currently being investigated to help regulate immune function in several autoimmune diseases (most noticeably, lupus, and at very high doses).

That said, DHEA works. I'd say that it takes about two-three weeks for the effects to become noticeable. Mood is better, sleep is better. Recovery is far better. I recovery from VO2,max intervals ALOT better on than off, same for long rides (70+ miles). I am more aggressive on it and more...uhh, more easily "aroused". Both of those effects show up within a day or two. I feel like I carry a bit more water weight as well, though I'm not sure that's a good. DHEA levels supposedly fall in older men, and I'm pushing 40, so its not entirely unexpected to see some benefit. If you're 20 something, you're likely best getting a coach and a tailored training plan rather than DHEA.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the information! Iam 34 years old and trying to get back into shape, Ive got an extra 25 lbs that needs to go. I dont think I would use DHEA until I was in better shape, but then again
maybe it would benefit me to use it???? Whats the cost?

Matt