Texas Hill Country Ride

oneillg

Sep 2, 2003
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post - I just found the forum recently!!

I have a question. . .

Has anyone done any riding in the Texas Hill Country? My husband and I are doing a tour with a group that takes us through all of "Lance's best training roads."

I'm wondering what the riding is like there, and how hilly IS Hill Country exactly? Our literature talks about a couple of pretty steep climbs (like 20%) and I'm getting a little nervous! :eek:

Any information you have would be great!

Thanks,
Gigi Kolt

I don't know where Lance rides but the hill country by definition is very hilly. It's not like San Francisco hilly but still. I've never been on a ride there but I've done some flyfishing in and around the hill country. Don't remember and 20% grades but its possible.

Tencast--

after re-reading I relized this post really wasn't of much benefit. :)

Originally posted by oneillg
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post - I just found the forum recently!!

I have a question. . .

Has anyone done any riding in the Texas Hill Country? My husband and I are doing a tour with a group that takes us through all of "Lance's best training roads."

I'm wondering what the riding is like there, and how hilly IS Hill Country exactly? Our literature talks about a couple of pretty steep climbs (like 20%) and I'm getting a little nervous! :eek:

Any information you have would be great!

Thanks,
Gigi Kolt

Thanks, Tencast! At least it's encouraging that it's not like San Francisco! :p

We live in a pretty hilly part of Ohio (believe it or not), and we've been trying to get in a lot of hill training, so hopefully I'll be even better prepared than I'm hoping I will be. . .I still have just under 6 weeks to keep training, so I should be okay!

Originally posted by tencast
I don't know where Lance rides but the hill country by definition is very hilly. It's not like San Francisco hilly but still. I've never been on a ride there but I've done some flyfishing in and around the hill country. Don't remember and 20% grades but its possible.

Tencast--

after re-reading I relized this post really wasn't of much benefit. :)

Do it!

I just moved away from Austin Texas, and while I wasn't doing big milage when I was there, and never actually rode that ride, I've been in the Hill Country a ton. The scenery will help you forget about the hills... but yes, its super hilly. The grade is often not all that killer, its just that it goes on for a mile and a half.

That being said, that area is biker friendly, tri friendly, and one of the best places to bike/live ever. Enjoy your ride, and try austintricyclist.com for a listing of more in the area.

liz

The steepest grades are out west, in the Davis Mts. There is something called the Texas Bicycle Map Company, the Hill County & west Tx are in one book, it shows up at some bike shops. Call Danial Boones BIkes in Houston, one of the editors works there, if you cant find the book. Leaky is a wonderfull ride, and now is a good time to do Big Bend.