Texas shout out!

dallasbikr

Aug 1, 2004
Anyone in DFW area frequent these forums? I saw a Houston thread WAAAYY down there...

I'm up north of Denton, but might start driving into Dallas for decent group rides as I get back in shape...

Sound off if we're neighbors :)

DallasBikr

dallasbikr said:
Anyone in DFW area frequent these forums? I saw a Houston thread WAAAYY down there...

I'm up north of Denton, but might start driving into Dallas for decent group rides as I get back in shape...

DallasBikr

Distant neighbors, Austin here. :)

dallasbikr said:
Hey there...what is a JakeBrake? I see signs in small town that have ordinances against using them...

See how infamous I am? Small cities all across this great country have passed ordinances against my use. :)

Actually, "Jakebrakes" are compression release engine braking systems. They are called that because Jacobs Vehicle Systems originally made this kind of braking system for big rigs.

Have you ever heard a tractor slowing down, and then all of a sudden you hear a loud noise that kind of sounds like "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"? Those are jakes being engaged.

For the technical answer on how these work ......

The basic idea behind a Jake Brake is to use the engine to provide braking power. If you own a stick shift car and have ever downshifted to provide braking, you understand part of the idea. When you brake a car by downshifting, you are using engine vacuum to slow the car down.

A Jake Brake goes a step further, and actually turns the engine into an air compressor to provide a great deal more braking power. If you have read How Car Engines Work, then you know that the engine goes through a compression stroke. Compressing the air in the cylinder takes power. If the engine's drive shaft is turning the engine to brake the truck, the power used to compress the air is braking power. However, that power is stored in the cylinder, so if you let it, the compressed air simply pushes the piston back down. Therefore, you don't really get any braking at all from the compression stroke on an unmodified engine.

A Jake Brake modifies the timing on the exhaust valves so that, when braking is desired, the exhaust valves open right as the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke. The energy gathered in the compressed air is released, so the compression stroke actually provides braking power.

The main advantage of a Jake Brake is that it saves wear on the normal brakes. This is especially important on long downhill stretches.

I figured it was something along those lines....but what do some areas have against them? Noise?

dallasbikr said:
I figured it was something along those lines....but what do some areas have against them? Noise?

Yep, noise ordinances, they are quite loud. :)

Throw in the fact that some communities might have a well travelled route running through their town and one or two steep graded hills coming in or out and trucks driving through all hours of the day, I guess I can understand people not wanting to hear Jakes barking out at 2 A.M.

dallasbikr said:

DallasBikr
John here, I`m in FT.worth.There are several regular rides from this area. Chk. Ft Worth bike club,Bikes Inc.Loanstar rd.Club.

hughes said:
John here, I`m in FT.worth.There are several regular rides from this area. Chk. Ft Worth bike club,Bikes Inc.Loanstar rd.Club.
HI John...I used to ride with Richardson Bike Mart "No Drop" medium speed group, but its been years. Do you have a preference of the groups you mentioned?

I live in Plano and have been looking to start going on a few group rides myself. There seems to be some pretty decent 30-40 mile routes not too far from here that might be worth checking out!

:cool:

pcdallas said:
I live in Plano and have been looking to start going on a few group rides myself. There seems to be some pretty decent 30-40 mile routes not too far from here that might be worth checking out!

:cool:
http://www.planobicycle.org/ I haven't been with these guys, but they are close to you. Richardson Bike Mart used to do a moderate pace 30 mile ride on Saturday mornings that was a pretty decent run.

dallasbikr said:
http://www.planobicycle.org/ I haven't been with these guys, but they are close to you. Richardson Bike Mart used to do a moderate pace 30 mile ride on Saturday mornings that was a pretty decent run.

Thanks for the website! I checked out a few others like www.bicycletexas.com where they have posted some organized rides. I have been cycling since July and would like to meet some people to ride with on occasion as I normally train by myself. (still only around 16 to 17 mph on the 30 mile rides)

I'm in McKinney.

dallasbikr said:

DallasBikr

There was a page on local cycling routes in today's Health Lving Section of the morning news if anyone needs a new route :)

anyone in San Antonio lookin to start riding out on weekends not to far. maybe newguys like me can learn from each other.

Houston here. Anyone know where I can find these hills that everyone keeps talking about?:confused:

What's up, I live in Highland Village. Just started biking, Where is the best place to buy a road bike in my area? I checked bluebonnet, are they good?

dallasbikr said:

DallasBikr

Richardson here. I ride mainly in Richardson, North Dallas, and Plano.