TFL advert promoting cycling

spindrift

Guest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nYWIfwm7k

It's ok I guess.

Why can't we show the reality though? Car adverts have a car sweeeping
round deserted mountain hairpins with a stacked bimbo.

Why not have three petrol heeads bragging about their £30k penis
extension , all being overtaken by a serene bike commuter or
something?

Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.

So- subvert the genre. Have a load of city boys joshing and bonding in
the traffic jam about what their car cost. Jump cut to a smashing
filly on a bike, sailing elegantly through London's traffic and
getting there before anywhere else.

Cut back to city boys noticing her, a dawn of realisation creeping
over their faces.

Cut back to a rear view of the smashing filly disappearing over the
horizon, caption:

Cycle in London. You always get a seat.

spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:29 +0100:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nYWIfwm7k
>
> It's ok I guess.
>
> Why can't we show the reality though? Car adverts have a car sweeeping
> round deserted mountain hairpins with a stacked bimbo.
>
> Why not have three petrol heeads bragging about their £30k penis
> extension , all being overtaken by a serene bike commuter or
> something?
>
> Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
> average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.
>
> So- subvert the genre. Have a load of city boys joshing and bonding in
> the traffic jam about what their car cost. Jump cut to a smashing
> filly on a bike, sailing elegantly through London's traffic and
> getting there before anywhere else.
>
> Cut back to city boys noticing her, a dawn of realisation creeping
> over their faces.
>
> Cut back to a rear view of the smashing filly disappearing over the
> horizon, caption:
>
> Cycle in London. You always get a seat.

You haven't seen the series of Dutch cycling adverts then. They're on
YouTube if you want to look them out.

Tony

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On 25 May, 09:38, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:29 +0100:
>

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nYWIfwm7k

> > It's ok I guess.

> > Why can't we show the reality though? Car adverts have a car sweeeping
> > round deserted mountain hairpins with a stacked bimbo.

> > Why not have three petrol heeads bragging about their £30k penis
> > extension , all being overtaken by a serene bike commuter or
> > something?

> > Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
> > average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.

> > So- subvert the genre. Have a load of city boys joshing and bonding in
> > the traffic jam about what their car cost. Jump cut to a smashing
> > filly on a bike, sailing elegantly through London's traffic and
> > getting there before anywhere else.

> > Cut back to city boys noticing her, a dawn of realisation creeping
> > over their faces.

> > Cut back to a rear view of the smashing filly disappearing over the
> > horizon, caption:

> > Cycle in London. You always get a seat.

> You haven't seen the series of Dutch cycling adverts then. They're on
> YouTube if you want to look them out.
>
> Tony
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
> is no good evidence either way."
> - Bertrand Russell- Hide quoted text -

No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nYWIfwm7k
>
> It's ok I guess.

it's not bad it's selling to the right people i'd say.

> Why can't we show the reality though? Car adverts have a car sweeeping
> round deserted mountain hairpins with a stacked bimbo.
>
> Why not have three petrol heeads bragging about their £30k penis
> extension , all being overtaken by a serene bike commuter or
> something?

too aggressive for the commutor market.

> Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
> average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.
>
> So- subvert the genre. Have a load of city boys joshing and bonding in
> the traffic jam about what their car cost. Jump cut to a smashing
> filly on a bike, sailing elegantly through London's traffic and
> getting there before anywhere else.
>
> Cut back to city boys noticing her, a dawn of realisation creeping
> over their faces.
>
> Cut back to a rear view of the smashing filly disappearing over the
> horizon, caption:

for people into cycling yes, but i think it would probably alienate the
converts, yours is preaching to the converted.

> Cycle in London. You always get a seat.

now that is a good line.

roger

On May 25, 9:29 am, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
> average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.

I thought it was 8mph, not 12!

Anyone have a link to the details on average speeds in London? I
googled for it a couple of times, but obviously have the wrong
keywords to be able to find it.

On 25 May, 10:38, LSMike <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 25, 9:29 am, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
> > average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.

> I thought it was 8mph, not 12!
>
> Anyone have a link to the details on average speeds in London? I
> googled for it a couple of times, but obviously have the wrong
> keywords to be able to find it.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm051202/text/51202w06.htm

Response to LSMike:
> > Car ads are divorced from reality. Your £30k car in London does an
> > average speed of 12mph, not what the ad promised.

> I thought it was 8mph, not 12!
>
> Anyone have a link to the details on average speeds in London? I
> googled for it a couple of times, but obviously have the wrong
> keywords to be able to find it.

I googled on "London traffic "average speed"", and the third hit was:

http://tinyurl.com/3ye2xe

From Hansard, 2 Dec 2005:

Road Traffic (London)

Mr. Hands: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what was the
average speed travelled by private cars in London in (a) 1999=3F2000 and
(b) 2004=3F05. [31883]

Dr. Ladyman: Estimates are available for average traffic speeds in
London and are derived from speed surveys conducted on a three-year
cycle by Transport for London. These surveys measure the average speed
of all traffic. Speeds by individual vehicle class such as cars are not
available.

Average traffic speeds for the periods 1997=3F2000 and 2003=3F06 are as
follows:
Average traffic speeds in London 1997=3F2006 Miles per hour

Central area Inner area Outer area All areas
Morning peak period
1997=3F2000 10.0 12.0 18.2 15.9
2003=3F06 10.6 11.7 =3F =3F

Daytime off-peak period
1997=3F2000 10.0 14.8 21.9 18.5
2003=3F06 10.5 14.1 =3F =3F

Evening peak period
1997=3F2000 10.2 11.4 19.1 16.2
2003=3F06 10.6 12.3 =3F =3F

The 2003=3F06 cycle is not complete and the outer area survey information
is not yet available.

--
Mark, UK
"An obstinate man does not hold opinions, but they hold him."

Mark McNeill quoted:

> Dr. Ladyman: Estimates are available for average traffic speeds in
> London and are derived from speed surveys conducted on a three-year
> cycle by Transport for London. These surveys measure the average speed
> of all traffic. Speeds by individual vehicle class such as cars are not
> available.

If these are the average speeds for "all" vehicles this must mean that
cars are even slower then?

Dan Gregory <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark McNeill quoted:
>

> > Dr. Ladyman: Estimates are available for average traffic speeds in
> > London and are derived from speed surveys conducted on a three-year
> > cycle by Transport for London. These surveys measure the average speed
> > of all traffic. Speeds by individual vehicle class such as cars are not
> > available.

> If these are the average speeds for "all" vehicles this must mean that
> cars are even slower then?

probably not enought to make much of differance, outer, innner, or
central you see a sea of cars with some buses and a sprinkling of
motorbikes, and a few cycles as well.

roger

David Hansen wrote on 25/05/2007 09:51 +0100:
> On 25 May 2007 01:29:53 -0700 someone who may be spindrift
> <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nYWIfwm7k
>>
>> It's ok I guess.

> I hope some people at Critical Mass will bring some stills from it
> and take them with them on the ride.

Should have ended with bike sailing happily along to be squashed back
flat on the tarmac by an impatient WVM ;-)

--

spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:50 +0100:

> No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

The entire set is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w

The first and the last are the best IMO.

--

On May 25, 1:31 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:50 +0100:
>

> > No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

> The entire set is athttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
>
> The first and the last are the best IMO.

Quite hard to follow when you don't do dutch. Visually the first and
last were the best though.

I liked the team time trial to the office ;)

...d

David Martin wrote on 25/05/2007 14:46 +0100:
> On May 25, 1:31 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:50 +0100:
>>

>>> No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

>> The entire set is athttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
>>
>> The first and the last are the best IMO.

> Quite hard to follow when you don't do dutch. Visually the first and
> last were the best though.
>
> I liked the team time trial to the office ;)
>
> ...d

I'm sure a passing Roos will be along shortly to explain.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:50 +0100:
>>
>> No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

> The entire set is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
>
> The first and the last are the best IMO.

That last one is laugh-out-loud brilliant!

Roos, could you supply a translation of the three men in the lift? Was it a
traffic report that was coming over the announcement system?

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:50 +0100:
>>> No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

>> The entire set is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
>>
>> The first and the last are the best IMO.

> That last one is laugh-out-loud brilliant!

Actually, I found it in very poor taste. *Real* car bombs are exploding
in Iraq. And they kill *real people*.

The others are quite good.

--
MatSav

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

>in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
>('[email protected]') wrote:

>> spindrift wrote on 25/05/2007 09:50 +0100:
>>>
>>> No Videos found for 'dutch cycling advert'

>> The entire set is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
>>
>> The first and the last are the best IMO.

>That last one is laugh-out-loud brilliant!

>Roos, could you supply a translation of the three men in the lift? Was it a
>traffic report that was coming over the announcement system?

Something like this:

[voice]
Attention, for the owner of the blue saab, regnr X, you forgot your
handbrake
[man 1 looks worried]
Attention, the blue saab is now moving in the direction of the yellow
lotus
[crashing sounds, man2 looks worried]

[textover]
No hassles? Take the bike!

Roos

"MatSav" <"matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com">
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> The entire set is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
>>>
>>> The first and the last are the best IMO.

>> That last one is laugh-out-loud brilliant!
>>

> Actually, I found it in very poor taste. *Real* car bombs are exploding in
> Iraq. And they kill *real people*.
>
> The others are quite good.
>
> --
> MatSav

Just as I can tell the violent acts in cartoon's aren't real, I can tell the
difference between some dodgy gangster looking characters getting blown up
in a car bomb and real life militant attacks. If I had a gangster relative
who'd been blown up in a car bomb I may feel differently though.... I think
the phrase at the end which translates to cyclists live longer makes it
clear that its intended as humour.

I liked the last one and the ink blot test one. Best of all only one
remotely mountain bike styled machine to be seen throughout, the rest
classic Dutch designs!

Paul M

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> >('[email protected]') wrote:

> >> The entire set is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXzOKaWl5w
> >>
> >> The first and the last are the best IMO.

> >That last one is laugh-out-loud brilliant!

> >Roos, could you supply a translation of the three men in the lift? Was it a
> >traffic report that was coming over the announcement system?

> Something like this:
>
> [voice]
> Attention, for the owner of the blue saab, regnr X, you forgot your
> handbrake
> [man 1 looks worried]
> Attention, the blue saab is now moving in the direction of the yellow
> lotus
> [crashing sounds, man2 looks worried]
>
> [textover]
> No hassles? Take the bike!
>

> Roos

Now that is funny.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

On 25 May 2007 19:34:20 GMT, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:

>[voice]
>Attention, for the owner of the blue saab, regnr X, you forgot your
>handbrake
>[man 1 looks worried]
>Attention, the blue saab is now moving in the direction of the yellow
>lotus
>[crashing sounds, man2 looks worried]
>
>[textover]
>No hassles? Take the bike!

Excellent! Thanks Roos, it brings the advert to life.